Acoustic sounds?

Itsmesilly
Itsmesilly
08/21/2009 2:18 pm
I recently played an Epiphone ej200 Jumbo. And from what I understand the jumbo offers more sound? Bigger body...more space for resonance / vibration etc?

But than I was playing my friends carbon fiber Rainsong and it seemed to have a nice depthy sound to it too. Its a standard sized guitar. There is about a 1500 dollar price difference between the two so Im sure that might have a hand in it...Rainsong is around 2 grand. UGH... But is a jumbo that much better in terms of a deeper sound? What are the benefits of a jumbo? I remember seeing a country artist ( a woman ) playing one and I was like OMG that thing is HUGE...it covered most of her body...lolol.

I had always looked a smaller guitars because I am small and it was easier to play, but I hate to sacrifice the sound.
# 1
Razbo
Full Access
Razbo
Full Access
08/21/2009 3:21 pm
I think you should bite the bullet and get a Rainsong. ;)
...so ever since then, I always hang on to the buckle.
# 2
Itsmesilly
Itsmesilly
08/21/2009 3:36 pm
omg I sooooo don't have the money to buy a Rainsong. I can dream though......
If I had that money kicking around It would have to go to things like savings, which I have none of....fix something on the house etc. Stupid grown up things....sometimes I hate having to be grown up and responsible!
# 3
Razbo
Full Access
Razbo
Full Access
08/21/2009 6:50 pm
Size would help with a deeper and more resonant sound. Like a drum: The bigger it is, the deeper it sounds. Also the wood is a factor. Mahogany or Rosewood sides & back. Any acoustic I have played without that sounded rather treble-y to me regardless of the size.
...so ever since then, I always hang on to the buckle.
# 4
JeffS65
JeffS65
08/22/2009 3:07 pm
Originally Posted by: ItsmesillyI recently played an Epiphone ej200 Jumbo. And from what I understand the jumbo offers more sound? Bigger body...more space for resonance / vibration etc?

But than I was playing my friends carbon fiber Rainsong and it seemed to have a nice depthy sound to it too. Its a standard sized guitar. There is about a 1500 dollar price difference between the two so Im sure that might have a hand in it...Rainsong is around 2 grand. UGH... But is a jumbo that much better in terms of a deeper sound? What are the benefits of a jumbo? I remember seeing a country artist ( a woman ) playing one and I was like OMG that thing is HUGE...it covered most of her body...lolol.

I had always looked a smaller guitars because I am small and it was easier to play, but I hate to sacrifice the sound.

With any guitar, I assume materials speak to resonance properties. Like with electrics, both body and neck woods affect the sound. I assume, but really have not idea, that the properties of the Rainsong have a different density than the Epi.
# 5
sub_tex
sub_tex
08/23/2009 4:10 am
try a SeaGull (made in canada) u can find em most awywhere in US
they have a deep boomy sound, good for folk songs.
# 6

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.