Guitars and Heat...

Itsmesilly
Itsmesilly
08/07/2009 9:39 pm
my upstairs gets to be in the 90's when the ac isnt on in the summer. Because of this I do not leave a guitar up there. I would love to buy a composite guitar which can handle the temp changes but last I checkd I dont have 2 grand in my pocket. Isaw that the Little Martin LXK2 is made with a High Pressure Laminate top and I was wondering if that would be able to handle the temps better because its not wood.
Any thoughts?
# 1
Razbo
Full Access
Razbo
Full Access
08/09/2009 12:47 pm
As a laminate, might it not be more susceptible?

If it is 2 types of materials laminated, they might expand and contract at different rates, creating more stress on joints, and possibly warping as one side expands more than the other.

Laminates of the same material would expand/contract at a different rate than the glue material. Then if they are cross grained, then each sheet would expand more in a different direction.

Just thinking out loud, but it seems to me a solid material would be safer.

It gets into the high 80's in my upstairs, and I haven't had any problems from that. My 6 string is about 25 years old and is only showing some expected bowing in the face from being so old and not expensive to begin with.

With the temp changes from day to night, all my guitars go off "A440" depending on the time of the day, but they don't seem to suffer otherwise.
...so ever since then, I always hang on to the buckle.
# 2
Itsmesilly
Itsmesilly
08/09/2009 1:51 pm
Razbo....what is A440?
# 3
Razbo
Full Access
Razbo
Full Access
08/09/2009 2:16 pm
Concert pitch. Middle C on the piano I think. A wiki answer:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/A440
# 4
hunter1801
hunter1801
08/09/2009 4:53 pm
A, not middle C, according to the same wiki you linked
# 5
Razbo
Full Access
Razbo
Full Access
08/09/2009 8:31 pm
A440. I should have said above middle C
# 6
Itsmesilly
Itsmesilly
08/09/2009 9:53 pm
went to sam ash today and the guitar guy explained to me that heat and humidity is heat and humidity and it will all react. No matter if it is glued laminate or wood....something will get effected. As long as humidity is monitored and the guitar is checked out and cared for I should be ok...now I know just because someone works at a guitar/music store doesnt make them an expert...so please chime in if you have any answers or suggestions.

He suggested a humidifier and gauge and make sure its in the right range...keep an eye on it.

But heat and humidity are different..no?...I think Im still a bit confused.

I want to leave a guitar in my upstairs and not have it melt in the heat. It can get above 90 when we arent home and later with the AC on be in the mid 70's ( during the summer anyway ) During fal its a more consistent temp up here.

so Im not sure what my best route is here. I really want to leave guitar up here so I am more likely to pick it up and play.

any suggestions?

I have a humidifier already ( for a guitar ) and a humidity gauge...
# 7
Razbo
Full Access
Razbo
Full Access
08/10/2009 12:06 am
Just 'cause I post a lot doesn't make me an expert, either :o. Nevertheless....

Humidity is moisture affecting your guitar, while heat (or cold) more directly affects the material's nature to expand or contract in response to temperature changes. Heat and Humidity do not necessarily go hand in hand, but they tend to do so (ie: more heat will support more humidity; cooler temps generally support less humidity in the air).

If moisture gets into a piece of wood (any wood), it will tend to expand the fibers of the wood. What I have faced a lot building cabinets and stuff is moisture leaving the wood over time and it shrinks, leaving gaps in joinery. This effect is pretty much independent of temperature changes in any normal home. It's a longer term effect for wood to both absorb and release moisture.

Temperature changes are more immediate and can take effect moving from a warm room to one with AC for example.

I don't know, maybe you are worrying too much? I live in Nova Scotia where it gets dripping humid for 2 days, then dries, then humid again, rains for 3 weeks straight, gets freakin-ass cold, temps change 10 or 15 degrees celsius from day to night... I know people with expensive guitars, but I don't know anyone with a humidor. :)
# 8
Itsmesilly
Itsmesilly
08/10/2009 12:47 am
not a humidor....isnt that for cigars? lol.....its a humidifier sponge type thing that just sits in the guitar hole...costs like 15 bucks and keeps the moisture levels consistent....especially so in the winter months when it is less humid and our base board heat is kicked up in the house. Every guitar shop I have been to has recommended them.

I dont know....I probably am worrying too much.....its my nature...lolol
I figure if its too hot for me up here my guitar has to not like it either...lol
# 9
Itsmesilly
Itsmesilly
08/10/2009 12:57 am
and I should say its not necessarily the humidity right now that bothers me ( as it is humid and the heat that makes the air wicked nose bleed dry....which is when Id be most concerned about drying of the wood ) I am more worried about the actual temperature of 90+ degrees...

I think I am beating the subject to death...lololol

Im going to shut up and go play my guitar now
# 10
Razbo
Full Access
Razbo
Full Access
08/10/2009 1:03 am
I was thinking of one of those environmentally controlled rooms where they keep the acoustics in some of the music stores. :)

In general, I suspect it will be ok if there are no rapid changes in environment.

I just read this: http://www.acousticfingerstyle.com/CareAndFeeding.htm

And this was interesting.

http://www.santacruzguitar.com/care/index.html

Temperature Damage
High temperatures, generally above 100 degrees, cause glue joint failure and softening of the lacquer, making it susceptible to damage.

Low temperatures, generally below freezing, cause lacquer to craze and check. One very important point to remember, rapid changes cause far worse damage than the exposure to extremes if the changes take place slowly, with the instrument having plenty of time to acclimate. When, for instance, an instrument has been transported or shipped in the winter, it may well have been exposed to extreme cold. It is best to wait overnight before opening the box. I have seen guitars arrive at a destination, get checked for damage, find none, and then the next day found the lacquer checked and crazed. In these cases the guitar was very cold to the touch when examined. This wouldn't have happened if the instrument hadn't been subjected to thermal shock. If it had been left insulated in its case and the box for at least 12 hours, it could have been opened without damage resulting.
# 11
Itsmesilly
Itsmesilly
08/10/2009 2:12 am
nice....thanks Razbo. I appreciate the info.
I did some more reading myself. I think its just the temp that I am going to have to worry about and not so much the humidity ( until winter ). This living room has reached some wicked temps when its been super hot out. So far this summmer the worst I have seen it is maybe upper 80's maybe 90? I think I will have to leave the guitar on a stand at the bottom of the stairs to be safe and be sure to bring it with me when I come up. Once the fall comes around it will be better up here and I am hoping safe to leave a guitar up here all the time.
# 12
Mike51
Mike51
08/10/2009 4:50 am
No expert here but I've worked with wood in the past.

I would be less concerned with heat than major shifts in humidity. It is when the humidity drops that wood can do twists and turns, and can split along the grain. The more figured the grain the more it twists. Think of a wood kiln and the dry heat. Not the type of condition you'll find on Long Island where relative humidity is on the high side of the scale.

You'll not want to keep your guitar in the direct sunlight as that will affect the finish but I wouldn't be concerned with 90 degree heat.

As far as laminate goes.. plywood is a form of laminate and the cross grain layered manufacturing process is done to give it strength and lack of suseptability to the elements.
# 13
Razbo
Full Access
Razbo
Full Access
08/27/2009 2:55 pm
Hey I stumbled in this. Not a Rainsong :(, but is an alternate body composition:

Fender StratAcoustic. It apparently has a fibreglass body. Not sure if that would be better for heat resistance or not. I imagine it would withstand humidity a lot better...

I saw it in this ad here (has some pics). Can't find anything on the Fender site:
http://halifax.kijiji.ca/c-buy-and-sell-musical-instruments-Fender-StratAcoustic-Traynor-Battery-powered-Amp-W0QQAdIdZ151548586

Harmony Central Reviews:
http://reviews.harmony-central.com/reviews/Acoustic+Guitar/product/Fender/Stratacoustic/10/1
# 14
Itsmesilly
Itsmesilly
08/28/2009 1:06 am
Thanks Razbo!
# 15

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.