Help with mixer/interface

MikeFaulkner
MikeFaulkner
07/29/2009 7:42 am
I don't feel as embarrassed on here as i would asking this question in a music shop (they do look at you as if you were stupid sometimes), anyway here goes.

I want to be able to record some stuff onto my laptop, i have tried using the mic input, but the results were pretty ropey. I think what i need is some sort of mixer with a USB connection which would interface with Acoustica Mixcraft. I would also like to use this to go between my electric guitar and my amp, which apart from reverb, has no effects whatsoever.

So in short, something with a few effects, something with USB output, something that can be plugged into my amp.

What do I ask for?

Thanks
Mike
# 1
Razbo
Full Access
Razbo
Full Access
07/29/2009 12:23 pm
Probably a modelling pedal (reproduces different amps, speaker cabinets and effects like chorus, reverb, distortion, etc.). You would be looking for something with a midi output. If you check some of the Gear Reviews, you might find some ideas. I originally got a Zoom G1 which had great effects for the price, but no midi. I upgraded to a DigiTech RP250, which actually has better modelling and has midi.

There might be other stuff, but that works for me.
...so ever since then, I always hang on to the buckle.
# 2
Douglas Showalter
Guitar Tricks Instructor
Douglas Showalter
Guitar Tricks Instructor
07/30/2009 12:56 am
What are you using to record with? Depending on your recording software, you could very well have a wealth of effects already at your disposal. Clarify this and we will go from there. A lot of newer recording software has plenty of effects installed and there is no need to achieve this through an effects processor. However, Line6 products are great for both the performance and recording ends of things for something more all inclusive.

Let me know what you are using and we will go from there.
Douglas Showalter
# 3
MikeFaulkner
MikeFaulkner
07/30/2009 6:45 am
Hi Douglas, thankd for the reply.

Software wise i am using Acoustica Mixcraft and have benn plugging my guitars directly into the mic input (being a laptop the soundcard is not the best and the resulting sound is not too good) I understang that using the USB port will produce better results. I know there are products which will give a multitude of effects via software, but i would like some (not all) of these effects on the unit so when i disconnect from my laptop i can use between my electric guitar and my basic amp.

I hope this makes sense.

Mike

Originally Posted by: Douglas ShowalterWhat are you using to record with? Depending on your recording software, you could very well have a wealth of effects already at your disposal. Clarify this and we will go from there. A lot of newer recording software has plenty of effects installed and there is no need to achieve this through an effects processor. However, Line6 products are great for both the performance and recording ends of things for something more all inclusive.

Let me know what you are using and we will go from there.

# 4
MikeFaulkner
MikeFaulkner
07/30/2009 6:47 am
Thanks Razbo, I spoke to someone in a music store yesterday, they could show me plenty of stuff with software effects but none with these effects on the unit. I will have a look at the one you suggest.

Thanks
Mike

Originally Posted by: RazboProbably a modelling pedal (reproduces different amps, speaker cabinets and effects like chorus, reverb, distortion, etc.). You would be looking for something with a midi output. If you check some of the Gear Reviews, you might find some ideas. I originally got a Zoom G1 which had great effects for the price, but no midi. I upgraded to a DigiTech RP250, which actually has better modelling and has midi.

There might be other stuff, but that works for me.

# 5
jcotter13
jcotter13
08/04/2009 10:06 pm
You might also consider a Line6 pod. I've got an XTLive & couldn't stand to be without it now. depending on the model you buy, they run anywhere from $100-$400 roughly. Here's a link to more info...http://line6.com/products/pod/
# 6

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.