I just got a mac

Itsmesilly
Itsmesilly
06/30/2009 3:13 pm
so for my 11 year anniversary I was surprised with a Macbook...
its been a bit if a challenge going from a pc to a mac but so far so good

I noticed it has a program on it called "garage band" and looks like it has some lessons and stuff....was wondering if anyone had any comments on it...I havent really explored yet...still trying to get the basics set up first

any mac users out there with any mac newbies advice?
# 1
LisaMcC
Guitar Tricks Instructor
LisaMcC
Guitar Tricks Instructor
06/30/2009 3:32 pm
Hey Itsmesilly,

I'm a Mac person and I use Garage Band a lot.

The newer version has some sort of a link to lessons, but I don't have experience with that version.

I use Garage Band for creating practice tracks, backup tracks, song arrangements, songwriting, etc.

If you access the lessons, let us know what they're like. (can't POSSIBLY be better than GT!)

-Lisa
Lisa McCormick, GT Instructor
Acoustic, Folk, Pop, Blues

Full Catalog of Lisa's Guitar Tricks Tutorials
Find Lisa on Facebook!
# 2
JeffS65
JeffS65
06/30/2009 7:09 pm
Originally Posted by: Itsmesillyso for my 11 year anniversary I was surprised with a Macbook...
its been a bit if a challenge going from a pc to a mac but so far so good

I noticed it has a program on it called "garage band" and looks like it has some lessons and stuff....was wondering if anyone had any comments on it...I havent really explored yet...still trying to get the basics set up first

I just got a new iMac about 3 months ago. The new version of Garageband is really very good. Skip the lessons, not that I have paid for them but the sample they gave was pretty blah since it's not really keyed to in depth learning (in other words, stick to your GT lessons ;) )

That said, Garageband is surprisingly robust in the recent version. Also, there are lots of great loops out there for drum kits and even some inexpensive ones that really good. It does come preloaded with kit loops already but I found those to be pretty unexciting (note - for a cost, I'd suggest: Beta Monkey ). If you don't have a full band, this stuff can be very useful.

Reality is, I'm still in experimental stage so I have little to show for my playing around but what I have messed with has found that it's pretty good. Certainly not a pro-tools but a great thing to get you feet wet and get some pretty high quality things.

So, I like it thus far.

The opening interface has a number of 'how to use' tutorials and I'd suggest working through those. Very informative.

Good luck.
# 3
Itsmesilly
Itsmesilly
06/30/2009 7:45 pm
thanks you guys
a lot to get used to....like I want everything full screen like the pc and apparently it isnt that way?
I know the green button makes things bigger but not full screen....

now im in the process of making sure I have everything copied over....save all my favorites and make sure I have everything all set

thanks again for the info on garageband
sounds like its going to be fun
just need time to play with it.....this weekend hopefully
# 4
JeffS65
JeffS65
07/01/2009 12:23 am
Originally Posted by: Itsmesillythanks you guys
a lot to get used to....like I want everything full screen like the pc and apparently it isnt that way?
I know the green button makes things bigger but not full screen....

now im in the process of making sure I have everything copied over....save all my favorites and make sure I have everything all set

thanks again for the info on garageband
sounds like its going to be fun
just need time to play with it.....this weekend hopefully

Give it a little time, the 'full screen' deal on a PC will annoy you and you'll wish you were working on your Mac. I work PC by and Mac by night. I hate to admit that those insipid Mac vs PC ads are right but they are. At some point you're going to realize that a work flow not all covered up by one app is really handy. Since I do some freelance graphic design, the work flow is soooo much better and I can just jump between Illustrator and Photoshop with greater ease. No waiting for the app I switched too's screen to render. Granted, I have a 24" screen so having the large real estate is certainly handy with multi apps.

Also, if you have programs that only work on PC and have the disc as well as a registered copy of a Windows OS (XP and up), you can get a program called Parallels that allows you to run the PC OS too. While Macs can do that in Bootcamp mode, Parallels allow you to run XP at the same time and open apps from the PC as if they were in OSX. So, if you think you need to re-buy some stuff, it's worth considering. Parallels only costs $100 and really works very well.

So, a few more things :)
# 5
K2BT
K2BT
07/03/2009 1:55 pm
I've used windows since it came out in the early 90's and DOS before that. This past April I broke down and bought a Mac-Mini and I haven't used windows since. The Mac is so much easier to use and it handles media files a hundred times better then windows - no blue screen of death anymore! John
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Gibson SG Special
Marshall MA50 Head
Peavey Penta Full Stack Amp
Peavey Windsor Half-Stack
Boss GT-10 Guitar Processor
Springfield 1911 - 45cal to protect investment

K2BT- my amateur(ham) radio call sign
# 6
swright00
swright00
07/03/2009 9:21 pm
Funny I should read this now..I am testing Windows 7..on my Mac! Ha ha..

Actually the guitar lessons in Garage Band are what led me to Guitar Tricks. They were ok, but I realized that learning on computer is a pretty decent way to learn. So far so good!
# 7
drf46
Guitar Tricks Instructor
drf46
Guitar Tricks Instructor
07/04/2009 12:38 pm
Originally Posted by: Itsmesilly

I think you'll really enjoy your new mac. I use garage band for creating the music for my lessons.
# 8

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.