remembering lyrics

Itsmesilly
Itsmesilly
06/04/2009 9:53 pm
For whatever reason....I dont seem to remember lyrics like I used to...in fact....the music I have seemed to retain lets say was ummm from the most "foggiest" point in life...my teens! well I am 36 now and should be hearing and remembering everything..lolol

but I dont seem to retain and remember the lyrics to new songs I listen to . I find it frustrating as I want to be able to at least sing along as I play..not that I have a great voice but ya know....just to play.

I dont know what the point of this post was....a vent maybe?
anyone else not so great at recalling lyrics?
# 1
Razbo
Full Access
Razbo
Full Access
06/04/2009 11:25 pm
After I hit 30, it was all downhill from there. :) I call it "CRS". I'm now 45 and sometimes fear I am getting early alzheimers.

...So, umm have a nice day, now. Hope that helped. lol :D
...so ever since then, I always hang on to the buckle.
# 2
radiocycle
radiocycle
06/04/2009 11:51 pm
Hey Guys,

Well I sure know what you mean! I'm 61 and hve been playing and listening to some of the same tunes for years and I still don't hve them down cold. I have my binder full of songs and a music stand that I use to practice with and little clamp-on LED 'mightybrite' light that I need to see the damn thing... Oh yeah, don't forget my glasses or I'm really screwed! I think you could force yourself to lean a particular song but after all the work I'm still not sure it would stick unless you go over it regularly to retain it. ...such is life!

radio
~*~*~*~*~*~*

Time flies like arrows...
Friut flies like bananas!
# 3
GuitardedGeezer
GuitardedGeezer
06/05/2009 12:21 am
Originally Posted by: RazboAfter I hit 30, it was all downhill from there. :) I call it "CRS". I'm now 45 and sometimes fear I am getting early alzheimers.

I'm 44, and I don't have alzheimers.....I have sometimers..... :)
# 4
JeffS65
JeffS65
06/05/2009 12:45 am
I'm 43 and I remember everything!

Lyrics can be a toughie when playing guitar because you are putting your mind through two processes (or even more, really). So that can be a challenge. I would spend drive time to work etc, hammering down the lyrics to a song or two until you can stop a song and sing any next line. Then is should be easy to remember an play at the same time.

I'm 43 and I remember everything!

Lyrics can be a toughie when playing guitar because.......
# 5
Dazoo
Full Access
Dazoo
Full Access
06/05/2009 1:43 am
I'm 35 ( I think, can't find my wallet to verify that at the moment) And my memory is as good if not better than when I was 2!

For me, it all seems on if the lyrics of a song are something I can relate to or take an interest in, as far as remembering them. Many a song I have heard that love the music, beat, etc, but couldn't even tell ya more than 2 words of the lyrics, but the tune stays in me little brain all day.

That make sense?
It's better to regret something that you have done than something you haven't.
# 6
Itsmesilly
Itsmesilly
06/05/2009 1:51 am
nahhhh even if I like the song and im listening to it in the car away from the guitar....im still not retaining it...I know all the choruses and singa long parts but for the most part...
all that is left in my head is led zeppelin and pink floyd...lololol

I listen to xm radio...and the station I listen to ( and seem to be hooked on ) plays the same tunes over and over...so youd think id really know them

I think while one part of my brain is listening to the music...the other part of my brain is off wondering around....so I dont think anything is getting acomplished in the end..lololol
I wonder if I am listening and not hearing...lololol
oh...a day in the life of my head
scary
# 7
LisaMcC
Guitar Tricks Instructor
LisaMcC
Guitar Tricks Instructor
06/05/2009 2:16 pm
I'm embarrassed to admit this, but sometimes I can't even remember the lyrics to songs I wrote myself!

I am amazed at guys like my friend Kevin, who has been playing bar-gigs his whole adult life. He could get up in front of a crowd and sing and play pretty much anything you could think to request.

What's his secret?

-Lisa
Lisa McCormick, GT Instructor
Acoustic, Folk, Pop, Blues

Full Catalog of Lisa's Guitar Tricks Tutorials
Find Lisa on Facebook!
# 8
Itsmesilly
Itsmesilly
06/05/2009 2:30 pm
I think some peoples brains are just built differently
my girlfriend can listen to a song 2x and is singing the whole thing....Im like huh how do you know this already....
she just has a great memory for music

seriously though...our brains are very structured and there is a place for incoming and outgoing info...its such an amazing computer....
if only we could go in and fix the old wiring.....

I have my BA in speech pathology and remember doing therapy with people who had severe stuttering problems...though when they sang...it was clear as day
amazing huh? different part of the brain being used....
some people are better at remembering faces...some numbers...some songs
# 9
Grandslam15
Grandslam15
06/06/2009 3:40 am
I must be pretty lucky. Im 23 and I have a real good memory so lyrics come really easy to me and they stay stuck in my head.
# 10

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.