Connecting an amp to computer?

gary_g5
gary_g5
05/10/2009 6:15 am
I just bought an acoustic/electric guitar, and I'm wanting to connect it to my computer for recording. If I connect the guitar directly to the mic input of the soundcard, the sound is really weak. I've read that I should use some kind of preamp inline. I bought a little Behringer AT108 practice amp, so can I just hook the headphone-out jack of the amp to the line-in jack on the soundcard? What's the difference between a pre-amp and an amp?
# 1
Grambo
halfway to somewhere
Grambo
halfway to somewhere
05/10/2009 10:44 pm
Yes you can, but because amplifiers have internal transfomers you'll get 'mains Hum' on the recording
You really need an interface with a external transfomer, like Digitech
if you always take the lazy route
The Devil knows your every move ![COLOR=RoyalBlue]
# 2
JeffS65
JeffS65
05/11/2009 4:18 am
Originally Posted by: gary_g5I just bought an acoustic/electric guitar, and I'm wanting to connect it to my computer for recording. If I connect the guitar directly to the mic input of the soundcard, the sound is really weak. I've read that I should use some kind of preamp inline. I bought a little Behringer AT108 practice amp, so can I just hook the headphone-out jack of the amp to the line-in jack on the soundcard? What's the difference between a pre-amp and an amp?

http://www.ikmultimedia.com/stealthplug/features/
http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/StealthPlug

I got it and so far it totally rocks. Cheap too. I've had lots of fun with Amp models and effects. It can be used as a stand alone program for just playing/practicing or integrated to recording software (from Sweetwater regarding capability: "Pro Tools, Cubase, Logic, GarageBand, and others"). I'm a fussy tone person and have found some really cool setting that I really enjoy playing through. It's a consideration and gives quite a lot for the money.
# 3
gary_g5
gary_g5
05/11/2009 6:23 am
I've seen that Stealthjack before, but I hate to spend any more money right now for fear of angering the wife. How well does it work with an acoustic guitar? All the demos on their site are with electrics.
# 4
JeffS65
JeffS65
05/11/2009 2:19 pm
Originally Posted by: gary_g5I've seen that Stealthjack before, but I hate to spend any more money right now for fear of angering the wife. How well does it work with an acoustic guitar? All the demos on their site are with electrics.

If you have an 'electric' acoustic, you can plug the 1/4" jack straight in and should be able to use the clean amps to record. Actually, I think you can use the plug for anything that uses 1/4" cable.

You could Google to see if that give any more info.

As for your wife, well....you're on your own there. ;)
# 5

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.