Bad buzzing when i select pickups!

hunter1801
hunter1801
04/29/2009 3:17 am
Alright, so my guitar (or amp maybe?) has done this for as long as I can remember, but i just noticed its a lot worse now. I have a Fender Strat with 3 pickups (5 selector switch). If I have the selector thing set on the end positions, or the middle positions so that it is using a single pickup, I get a bad constant buzzing noise. It goes away if I have it on position 2 or 4 when its using both pickups. Also, the angle of the guitar affects it. If I have it level when I'm sitting, it buzzes, but if I tilt it forward it gets better.

Could it be my amp, guitar, or both? :( I use a distortion pedal, but thats not the problem because it still does it when I'm plugged directly into the amp. I used different cables too.
# 1
Neal Walter
GuitarTricks Channel Host
Neal Walter
GuitarTricks Channel Host
04/29/2009 10:13 pm
Hi Hunter,

That is normal (to some extent) for a strat. To lessen the buzz you can lower the treble and/or gain on your amp and it may help a little. Also check what else you have plugged in around your amp. Some lights and electrical gizmos will add hum to your rig. A light with a dimmer switch can do it. I'm going to move this question to Steve White's 'ask a guitar tech' thead to see if he's got additional info for you.
[FONT=Book Antiqua][FONT=Arial][FONT=Tahoma]Neal
GT Channel Host[/FONT]
[/FONT][/FONT]

http://www.guitartricks.com/channel/
# 2

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.