alternate tunings?

Itsmesilly
Itsmesilly
04/12/2009 11:52 pm
Ive just recently started to break away from standard tuning...
I dont know why it took me so long.
I so far have been messing around with open D tuning and I really love the sound...so Ive just been experimenting and seeing what sounds good...started looking up chords for oepn D etc...making stuff up and going with the flow.....

Ive played a few things in drop D....

but thats about it....

anyone have any other alternate tunings they like to play in or want to suggest? My friend recently bought the Gibson dark fire....amazing how fast it tunes ...love the ability to say ok tune to this now and wham it goes right to it without thinking...but it somes at a pretty hefty price!

I have 3 acoustics ( one not so great one I use for travel and the beach ) but I have been keeping one in open D all the time now....I love it
# 1
caponi14
caponi14
04/13/2009 7:55 am
I love to tune down a half step, try it out!

Casper
# 2
Ed Jalowiecki
Ed Jalowiecki
04/13/2009 7:43 pm
Originally Posted by: caponi14I love to tune down a half step, try it out!

Agreed. Eb tuning (Eb Ab Db Gb Bb Eb) is great for a number of reasons. If you sing, it can be easier on your voice. There is less tension on the strings, making for easier bends & vibrato. And if you play along with records, you'll notice a lot of bands/artists who use this tuning.
# 3
LisaMcC
Guitar Tricks Instructor
LisaMcC
Guitar Tricks Instructor
04/14/2009 1:29 pm
Hi ItsMeSilly,

Have you tried DADGAD? It has kind of a cool, slightly haunting sound. Here are a couple of projects in DADGAD you might have fun with:

DADGAD 1: INTRO, SWAMP THING, SHADY GROVE
http://www.guitartricks.com/tutorial.php?input=502

DADGAD 2: ADVANCED SONG PROJECT: BETSY LIKENS
http://www.guitartricks.com/tutorial.php?input=502

Also, for fans of alternate tunings, you can create some interesting effects really easily using a capo in non-traditional ways. Try these:

COOL CAPO TRICKS
http://www.guitartricks.com/tutorial.php?input=396

Have fun!
-Lisa
Lisa McCormick, GT Instructor
Acoustic, Folk, Pop, Blues

Full Catalog of Lisa's Guitar Tricks Tutorials
Find Lisa on Facebook!
# 4
antonskv
antonskv
05/07/2009 5:46 am
Let me put my 2 cents in....

I personally love Open-G tuning. Number of reasons why i started playing in it, one of them is slide guitar. I mean to play slide open tunings are really good.

It takes some time to get used to the chords and to the scales in it. I mean I'm not a professional so i still see patterns on the fretboard, i don't think i will ever be able to actually see intervals the way pros do.... But even with scale patterns its relatively easy to switch from standard tuning, they just shift 2 frets higher on 1st, 5th and 6th string.

I notice some things are easier in Open-G than in standard tuning, especially everything related to playing the blues, for me anyway. I know some people who been playing blues in standard tuning might disagree with me, that's why i say "for me anyway" :)
# 5
sixpicker
Telecastered Instructor
sixpicker
Telecastered Instructor
05/12/2009 8:25 am
I'm familiar with the open G thing, because that's how a dobro is tuned. I use that when I'm goofing off with a slide, and also what I call D tuning. I've written some really cool stuff dropping both, or sometimes just the big E string to D.

I use this quite a bit when I'm performing too, lot of country stuff these days where this is used. I can catch some ear twisting bends too, pulling down on the 5th, 4th, and 3rd string. Even have banjo tuners on one tele, just set the stops, and then just turn the key when I want to drop. Sometimes I drop it to C also, but can do more dropping to D.

It's alright to experiment with alternate tunings, but make sure you spend just as much time using standard tuning. You can try the half step down if you want, but if you've gotten used to the way your guitar sounds, you may not like it. I can tune my guitars by ear, and be within two cents of standard. Therefore tuning each string down a half step, to me makes the guitar sound out of tune. This trick is sometimes used for a vocalist to hit a note they can't quite reach in standard tuning. I know of several genres where this has been used, and I've had to transpose some songs recorded this way. It's next to impossible to do this without an electronic tuner, and it is harder to play with others that aren't tuned this way.

In all the years I've played guitar, I think I've done that twice. I sat in with a band once that tuned everything a half a step lower, and the other time I was just goofing off with a new tuner. The choice is yours to make on whether to try it, and I'm sure there are other tunings that I haven't even tried yet.

JD
# 6

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.