Pawn shops?

Itsmesilly
Itsmesilly
04/03/2009 1:19 am
I am going to be taking a road trip from long island New York down to South Carolina for a family thing....
I thought it would be pretty cool to hit some pawn shops along my way..maybe in VA or the Carolinas...Ive always wanted to check it out...see what I run into.

hard thing is being on the road and having to make a decision and a good one at thatI dont want to jump on something but I dont want to just let a good deal go either.I most likely wont be able to go back to the same place...unless we worked it into the route on my way back....its all up in the air...

In the end Its not like I am set on even getting anything...I just figured if something was meant to be and it was the right time etc...it would be there staring at me.

Im sure there will be a lot to see and im not up on models and prices....we will have access to the internet for quick look ups and such so that is a plus

but ...any pointers?
How do you avoid getting scammed....
are pawn shops typicaly out to get you?
Thanks for the input
# 1
Neal Walter
GuitarTricks Channel Host
Neal Walter
GuitarTricks Channel Host
04/03/2009 4:58 am
Hi Itsmesilly,

Sounds like a fun trip, I'd love to do that!
Most pawn shops, in my experience, have mostly cheaper guitars but you can find gems once in a while. I don't think most pawn shops are out to get you but they will try to get the MOST that they can for a guitar or whatever. And now with the internet it's easy for anyone to find out what the max something is worth, inclucing yourself. Since you have internet, I would use that to look up a guitar on ebay/internet to get a ballpark figure on what they go for. If a pawn shop has a gem, they're probably gonna know it.
I would guess that your best bet would be finding a ma and pa store somewhere with a little down home charm and maybe they're not all about the bucks, sounds like you might be in that kinda neighborhood.
Happy Hunting, have fun!
[FONT=Book Antiqua][FONT=Arial][FONT=Tahoma]Neal
GT Channel Host[/FONT]
[/FONT][/FONT]

http://www.guitartricks.com/channel/
# 2
sixpicker
Telecastered Instructor
sixpicker
Telecastered Instructor
04/03/2009 9:07 am
Are you going with an acoustic, or an electric?

If it's an acoustic you'll want to check the intonation at the 12th fret, because it's next to impossible to fix on an acoustic. You play a harmonic at the 12th fret on each string, and play the note at the 12th fret. These notes should have the same pitch, you will be able to tell if it's really sharp, or flat.

You also have to make sure it feels right, and that the action is set. If it's an older guitar check to see if it looks like any breaks have been fixed, any glue should be visible to an extent. Check the bridge and make sure it's not pulling the top away from the bracing inside. This usually makes the action higher, and the area around the bridge will be raised. If the action seems high at the 12th fret the neck may be bowed.

Most importantly, when you're looking the guitar over, act like you really know what you're doing. Even if you don't act like you know what the guitar is worth. Ask if they can come down on the price a little bit, act like you're not very happy about the first offer.

If it's an electric guitar, check the action, switches, knobs, and make sure you plug it into an amp. Check the intonation with it plugged in the amp too, and run the notes on each string, from the 10th fret as far as you can go up the neck. Listen for any buzzing, and make sure you hear the pitch go up too.

I would tell you to try bending some strings too, but if memory serves you're still in the beginner stages. I hope this helps you, and let us know how it goes.

JD
# 3
Itsmesilly
Itsmesilly
04/03/2009 1:16 pm
hey guys
thanks for the suggestions
JD....I can and do bend strings and would certainly make sure I give it a whirl if Im interested in something. I would never just buy something without playing it up and down the neck and with a good inspection.

I still dont get how people buy guitars on the web...for me I have to play it and feel it and hold it....but anyway

I did some reading on buying a guitar from a pawn shop...there are some good sites out there that had a lot to say about it. many suggested not impulse buying and come back a few times...stop in etc. But that wont be possible for me....as Ill be traveling and it wont be one I can frequent.

one site was even saying you can ask the shop owner for a rod and you can check the neck and make sure its straight....I guess that would be assuming the rod is straight...lololol...they talked about sticker prices and not paying what they ask for...negotiating this and that ( cases and taxes etc ) ...of course being able to plug it in if its electric...some other interesting things....was worth my searching.

from what I read....it doesnt sound like the best idea given my experience with prices etc and situation ( not coming back to the shop or see how long the guitar has been sitting there )

but....if there is going to be a few on the way I will certainly take a look see...who knows right?
# 4

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.