How many guitars do you have?

Itsmesilly
Itsmesilly
02/22/2009 10:25 pm
So how many guitars do you have? And how long have you been playing?
what kind do you have?

I seem to have been bitten by the bug and want to keep "acquiring" guitars but I feel like my skills need to improve to warrant getting another one. I cant justify in my head why I need another one aside from I WANT ONE..lolol.

Money is an issue ( as it is im sure for many ) and the last thing I need to be spending on is a guitar....nor would my better half appreciate it. I keep trying to explain GAS ( guitar acquisition syndrome ) to her...but she doesnt get it...lolol

so for now....I keep working my skills
# 1
amaday
amaday
02/23/2009 8:22 am
Hi ItsMeSilly,

For equipment, I currently have:

3 guitars
a bass
a PODxT
and a Marshall 50W combo.

One guitar is acoustic, a low end Ovation Celebrity, and the others electric. My main axe is my 2001 Peavey Wolfgang w/Floyd Rose and a maple neck. I love this guitar as the neck fits my small hands perfectly. My other electric is a Hamer Stratocaster copy, AKA the Daytona. Finally my bass is a Washburn 4 string something or other that my friend sold me.

The POD is like having dozens of great amps and effects in one unit. It may not replace 'REAL' Bogners, Soldanos, etc. in a studio or live, but for me, it fits the bill. I play for fun and I like the way it sounds.

So, do I want more guitars and gear? Yeah, I drool at the musician's friend catalog every time it comes, but right now, money's tight and my collection seems to be versatile enough for me.

My main motivation for owning musical instruments is definitely slanted towards being utilitarian. My Wolfgang has the thickness and drive of a Les Paul type guitar and when I want a bluesier tone a la SRV, I've got my Hamer. The Ovation is not great:-(, but it was what I could afford at the time. If I had the money today, my GAS would make me get a Line 6 Variax :D

I started playing guitar when I was 12. I'm now 40, but I've definitely had my dry spells. When I first started, I'd practically sleep with my guitar. It was practically attached to my body. Of course I started a band with my neighbors and that was a lot of fun. We did that until I was about 20. After that, I picked it up less and less often. Every year, I'd get back into it for a couple of months and other things would grab my attention.

Rambling, sorry, how long have you been playing? YOu didn't let us know what kind of equipment you have? I play rock. What do you play? And what specifically is your GAS telling you to acquire? ;)

Alex
# 2
sixpicker
Telecastered Instructor
sixpicker
Telecastered Instructor
02/23/2009 9:49 pm
I listed most of my axes in the interview in the GT newsletter, but I have added a couple of others since then.

Now I have 4 Teles, 2 Strats, an old Washburn acoustic, and the latest is a Martin D-35 acoutic that my Dad left me when he passed away last year.

I've tried to explain (GAS) to my wife too, but she doesn't get it either. I just tell her it's like her with shoes, but I don't hide the guitars in the trunk of the car so she doesn't know. If I hide them, I can't play them, and besides she's going to find out anyay, they always do.

You can't have too many of them, but you can only play one at a time.

JD
# 3
Itsmesilly
Itsmesilly
02/24/2009 1:56 am
OMG sixpicker that is sooooo funny

ok the thing here is I am a woman ( the name doesnt really give that away and... my better half is also a woman )

sooo I understand the shoe thing too...lolol...but for me its more sneakers. No need to fancy stuff with my job...anywayy

BUT my better half was a musician for manyyyy years.She hasnt played in well over 10 years. She played classical trumpet and dabbled in the drums. I bought her a small tama set about 9 months ago that she has played maybe 10 times? Shes just in a new career and time is not her friend.

She is one of those people who you can just say whatever scale and she can still ramble it all off...knows everything she used to know like it was yesterday..says its like reading. I envy her gretly...I want all the skills she has and doesnt even use. She at one point owned 6 trumpets and played classical...she was amazing...made many jealous as they would practice til their lips were falling off and she could just naturally play and sound beautiful doing it. Many that she went to college with ( for music ) are now doing things in a musical career...some on broadway...some playing with big name bands...she just got burnt. She has the itch to play...and there is a trumpet she can...and the drum set but the itch goes away before it gets scratched.
Her job consumes her and the drive to play isnt that bad enough....

That partly is where my problem is..not so much a problem..I guess more reality talking? She had that many trumpets because she was very talented and played in many bands...jobs...schools...etc. each trumpet was in a different key...there was a need for them. I dont really neeeeed to be spending money on more guitars right now...Im not sure I would even be able to justify the need for another guitar other than I want it...lolol. Im educating myself now so I can say I need this guitar to make this sound....lol...I want to earn and deserve my next guitar. And I am working harder now to be better.....

I think she thinks ( thats never good because I am assuming) that I should be able to play better before I "need" another...know what I mean? Like whats the point of buying another guitar to add to the ones I still dont play all that great? I mean I can play....but I have been on the same level for a lonnnnng time...get better and move on ya know? I still dont play with other people...Im not planning on being in a band.

I need to not compare myself to her....two totally different types of situations.

so, I got a 12 sting when I was 17 that I trashed because I didnt know I was supposed to take the tension off the neck...I was learning. I learned...ugh..its wall art now.

I got an Ibanez 6 string artwood acoustic about 8 or 9 years ago

I have an ovation "treker" 3/4....not really ovation apparently but thats what it says....just a little something to take down to the beach. Since Ive gotten better I now know how much I hate that guitar but its great for the beach.

I have a Dean 6 string acoustic...I liked because it was a cut away and had a tuner in it...neither of which the Ibanez acoustic had and it sounds and feels great....tried a bunch before I got that one.

and I Have an Ibanez electric hybrid ...strat body with 2 humbuckers...3 way switch...3 knobs....small Ibanez amp....digitech RP250 processor pedal. Everything I need to play around with and just have fun.

I am thinking I would like a fender strat
and definitly a hollowbody for jazz...but not sure what yet. Gretsch maybe....epiphone...havent looked at a ton as I dont have the cash right now.....

dream would be Gibson but I would have to be a lot better and richer to warrant that happening!

sorry for the rant
Im bored.
I need to win lotto
# 4
oldtimehobbies
Full Access
oldtimehobbies
Full Access
02/24/2009 2:31 am
I have a few guitars now but only one expensive (way expensive for me anyways) guitar. Its funny though I always pick up my cheap acoustic. I don't know, it sounds good and feels good and is fun to play. I hope it lasts awhile longer then I will probably go ahead and look for one of a higher quality. The thing has actually bounced off a concrete floor (lol) and it didn't affect it other than a little ding. I am definetly rough with it so that could be another reason I pick it up so often. Also it was my first one so who knows?
I stay in the dog house its easier that way...
# 5
RickBlacker
Full Access
RickBlacker
Full Access
02/24/2009 3:25 am
2 and a 3rd on the way

G1) Jackson DINKY DXMG - modified
G2) An old Mostrite my grandfather used to own and was given to me when he passed away
G3) Is a mutt. Bought a brand new body from an internet friend, a neck off ebay, pup from store. She be getting body and neck this week.
[U]Ricks Current Mystery Video[/U] - Updated Monday March/02/2015
# 6
tedrocole
tedrocole
02/24/2009 4:01 am
I have been playing for 14 years.

My Guitars:

Electric:

2008 Fender Stratocaster (American)
2007 Epiphone Les Paul Ultra
2004 Squire Stagemaster

Acoustic:

2008 Taylor DN3
1984 Yamaha F Series
2000 Seagull 12-string

Amp:

2008 Line 6 SpiderValve 212... simply amazing!!!

Foot Pedal:

FBV Shortboard

Recording Interface:

Line 6 UX2

Playing is an addiction... one that has no cure. Tell your wives or girlfriends that playing the guitar and buying new ones is a helluva lot better than going out and screwing around... LOL!!!

They should be thanking you for not buying a Porsche and replacing them with a newer model.

Keep on playing boys!!!
# 7
rono1
rono1
02/24/2009 3:26 pm
I have only one guitar but a lot of GAS. Currently a Washburn accoustic; next up a Cordoba classical and after that a (hopefully) Taylor T3.

I hope the GAS stops there... but I doubt it!
# 8
RickBlacker
Full Access
RickBlacker
Full Access
02/24/2009 8:31 pm
what is GAS?
[U]Ricks Current Mystery Video[/U] - Updated Monday March/02/2015
# 9
ChristopherSchlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor
ChristopherSchlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor
02/24/2009 10:02 pm
I recently featured four of mine in this tutorial:
http://www.guitartricks.com/tutorial.php?input=653
Christopher Schlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor

Christopher Schlegel Lesson Directory
# 10
rono1
rono1
02/24/2009 10:07 pm
It's a term coined by "Itsmesilly" meaning Guitar Acquisition Syndrome! We're all bloated with it.
# 11
sixpicker
Telecastered Instructor
sixpicker
Telecastered Instructor
02/25/2009 7:51 am
To make it worse Forrest Lee Jr. just offered me another one of his Bendocasters, for a great price. I didn't even tell my wife that, she thinks I have enough guitars now. I even named the oldest tele after her, and 1 more wouldn't hurt nothing. I like the number 9 better than 8 anyway, and I get another guitar out of it.

I could talk myself into that real easy, if it weren't for Bill, you know the one that comes around to take our money. I have to pay him, or they start turning stuff off. It's fun to dream though, especially about guitars, and amps.

All I can say is play the ones you have, and if you can get more guitars, go for it. One of these days I'll have my dream rig, but until then I have plenty axes to grind.

JD
# 12
hunter60
Humble student
hunter60
Humble student
02/25/2009 12:03 pm
I've got a few (with more in the dream bank just waiting for the funding!)

Ibanez Af-75 semi-hollowbody

Fender Strat

an ol' Washburn acoustic

A Taylor Big Baby (that's the newest)

and a low end Ovation Celebrity but it's going to be trade bait this weekend along with a few other pieces of gear. Trading them in for a Line-6 XT Live.

As far as amps, I'm sporting a Line 60 50 watt combo and a Peavy 65 watt tube.

Oh I can make some noise. Sadly, that's about what most of it is right now, noise, but I'm getting there. :)
[FONT=Tahoma]"All I can do is be me ... whoever that is". Bob Dylan [/FONT]
# 13
Itsmesilly
Itsmesilly
02/25/2009 1:53 pm
I have always mainly used acoustic.
Only got my electric last year so got a small amp to go with it just to be able to hear myself....
I never realized there was such a difference with amps....
its crazy...I need to hit the music store and start listening to some
# 14
JeffS65
JeffS65
02/26/2009 1:14 am
2 1/2 (well, three but one is in parts...) See 2 of them:

The above are a Fender Strat Standard and a Gibson ES333 (I may have lied somewhere in a posting that it was a 335...my bad).

The Strat is a Strat but I plan to put some Fender Texas Special's in it. Note that the Strat is an '89 Japanese Strat and from my playing (it's like butta...) and reading, it was truer to the CBS era Strat than any number of reissues. Having never played a CBS era strat, what do I know from Adam? From what I read though, since the manufacturing was in Japan, the entities in Japan spec'd out a number of classic Strats and made full on replicas.

The Gibby...From what I know about an ES333 is that it essentially is a 335 in build and most materials but the frills are stripped down such as the more extensive MOP inlays on the headstock and fretboard. I read somewhere that (cuz I got weird guitars...) that it's the same shop as the 335. It's a nice guitar. Hate the pick ups and am about to 335 the guitar with a pick guard, more vintage knobs cuz I hate speed knobs in vintage looking equipment. I'll also put in Gibson 57 and 57T pick ups to complete the deal. Won't have the inlays but will be a darn fine guitar. Plays great.

My 'half' guitar is really an '88 Kramer Pacer that I took apart to have a custom paint job done. Haven't brought in yet. It's really a redo with a new Floyd, set of EMG (has 1 humbucker and 2 Single coils), pots and paint of course. I don't know that it has enough inherent value to warrant a custom job but I really liked my American Kramers back in the 80's. Very full sounding.

Amps...I live in a townhouse so it doesn't matter but I have 2 combos...A Fender M80 and a Marshall Valvestate 40V
# 15
rono1
rono1
02/26/2009 3:29 am
Very cool axes, Chris! The second one (greenish one) has been around the block, huh?! Anyhow, I'm completely amazed at the speed with which you play - insane! Thanks for the inspirational demo.
# 16
laderswager
laderswager
02/26/2009 3:02 pm
I currently have three guitars. One acoustic, Two electrics...

I have a Hand-me-down beat up strat ripoff and I just bought today a new Ibanez RG350DX. Its so awesooooome.

I also have a Ibanez AW Acoustic(the AC30NT)

For along time I thought I was just terrible at tapping, but then I found out I just didnt have the right guitar, its so easy on the RG I love it, will post pics sometime today probablly :P
Ibanez Rg 4 life... Word XD
# 17
KFS1972
Full Access
KFS1972
Full Access
02/26/2009 3:02 pm
Only one; Ibanez RG-170 that I play through a Roland Microcube. The cube is not loud but it has a lot of effects for the price.

I do have a couple of acoustic GSOs (guitar shaped objects) that were either given or loaned. One of these I borrowed while I was shopping for an electric. Part of its bridge snapped while tuning it. This was good because the neck is so bent that the action was really high before the break. But now, with the bent neck and the accidentally lowered bridge, it is impossible to play any fret that it near or on the body of the guitar. The other is a small (3/4?) Harmony whose neck appears straight but the action is really high. This one was given to me so that my daughters could play around with it. If they had shown more interest, I would have bought them one that is in better condition.

My only GAS at this point is for a decent acoustic. But, like others have said, I can't justify another purchase until I am playing better.

Edit:
Upon further review, my GAS also includes a travel guitar and one of those VOX headphone amps. I may go ahead with the headphone amp pretty soon.
# 18
laderswager
laderswager
02/26/2009 3:03 pm
Originally Posted by: KFS1972Only one; Ibanez RG-170 that I play through a Roland Microcube. The cube is not loud but it has a lot of effects for the price.

I do have a couple of acoustic GSOs (guitar shaped objects) that were either given or loaned. One of these I borrowed while I was shopping for an electric. Part of its bridge snapped while tuning it. This was good because the neck is so bent that the action was really high before the break. But now, with the bent neck and the accidentally lowered bridge, it is impossible to play any fret that it near or on the body of the guitar. The other is a small (3/4?) Harmony whose neck appears straight but the action is really high. This one was given to me so that my daughters could play around with it. If they had shown more interest, I would have bought them one that is in better condition.

My only GAS at this point is for a decent acoustic. But, like others have said, I can't justify another purchase until I am playing better.

I play my RG through a microcube and its amazing. :)
Ibanez Rg 4 life... Word XD
# 19
KFS1972
Full Access
KFS1972
Full Access
02/26/2009 3:23 pm
Originally Posted by: ThraxionI play my RG through a microcube and its amazing. :)

I have not been disappointed at all with the cube. My only slight complaint is that it is somewhat quiet on the acoustic and JC settings.
# 20

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.