humbuckers

Itsmesilly
Itsmesilly
02/10/2009 2:10 pm
ok...
is humbucker a brand name or a kind of pickup? I understand the single and double coils ....

I have been reading some posts and it leaves me more confused with what I am playing...

I have an Ibanez ....it is a strat body but has 2 duncan humbuckers...does that make sense?

are they humbuckers or duncan double coils?

I think when i got it the guy was like well its a strat body with more of a les paul set up...not sure if that makes sense either.

Isnt it the pickups that reeally make and change the sound of a guitar? Isnt the wood just the shape of the guitar really and the sound is really more from the choice of and arangement of the pickups?
I know wood has got to have something to do with it....but you get my general idea here.

thanks
# 1
ChristopherSchlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor
ChristopherSchlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor
02/10/2009 8:45 pm
Originally Posted by: Itsmesillyis humbucker a brand name or a kind of pickup?[/quote]
A humbucker IS a double coil pickup; as opposed to a single coil pickup.

They get their name because they cancel out a large portion of the interference (they "buck the hum") induced by alternating current sources normally experienced with single coil pickups.

From http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Humbucker

Humbuckers were originally designed to cancel hum and create a smoother sound. Since they have a higher output (gain) the result was a convenient, if unintended, side effect: they sound "thicker" and distort more than single coils at higher volumes.

Historically, the Fender Strat had single coils, whereas the Gibson Les Paul had double coil pickups (called humbuckers). This is the origin of that particular association. In the early 1970's Ed Van Halen decided he wanted the sound of a humbucker combined with a Strat body and vibrato bar. :)

Ever since the EVH's Frankenstrat, it is common to find various combinations of single and double coil pickups in any given guitar be they Fender or Gibson style.
[QUOTE=Itsmesilly]Isnt it the pickups that reeally make and change the sound of a guitar? Isnt the wood just the shape of the guitar really and the sound is really more from the choice of and arangement of the pickups?

Everything has a combined effect on the final resultant sound: strings, type of wood, body shape, pickups, how they are mounted, amp, effects, speakers. And don't forget the most important component: the player. :)

Your mind and hands are the crucial, irreplaceable components in the sound of your guitar.
Christopher Schlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor

Christopher Schlegel Lesson Directory
# 2

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.