Strange Question for you all

Itsmesilly
Itsmesilly
02/02/2009 2:48 pm
I didnt know where to put this...so I stuck it here

Anyone even have a medical / medication condition that interfered with your playing?

I was diagnosed with Multiple Sclerosis a few years ago. I am fine now but when I was first diagnosed I lost all coordination in my right side...needless to say I was super frustrated when I realized I couldnt keep any rhythem what so ever on my guitar. I put it down for a long time...medication nvere helps when you feel like a pile of jello. I am currently dealing with some neck/disk issues and I find it pretty uncomfortable sometime to be playing for too long....

I have my rhythm back though and thats a good thing!!!

anyone ever deal with this?
# 1
EPISODER
EPISODER
02/09/2009 4:41 pm
I really hope it's not true... but I think I may be developing Carpal Tunnel Syndrome in my left hand. (Fretting hand)

I just usually take a break and then I feel better; I'm not really straining my wrists that much, but I do play with my strap set fairly high. (between my chest and stomach)

I need to work on that, but what happened to me isn't nearly as "comendable" as what you are doing. I'm not too familiar with MS, but I'm pretty sure it's auto-immune, right?

Kudos to you for sticking with guitar! :)

May you live a long a peaceful life...

-Andrew
[FONT=Fixedsys]A tout le monde, A tout mes amis, Je vous aime, Je dois partir. These are the last words I'll ever speak, and they'll set me free![/FONT] ;)
# 2
Kevin Taylor
Guitar Tricks Instructor
Kevin Taylor
Guitar Tricks Instructor
02/12/2009 6:50 am
Not so much a medical condition but a body function in my hands that makes it impossible to play leads the way that most people teach.

Basically, whenever I press my left hand first finger down on a fret, my pinky automatically points straight out.
There's absolutely nothing I can do to stop it and it's been a major contributor in slowing down my scale speeds over years.

I've had teachers and experienced players show me that to play speed scales...keep all your fingers as close to the fretboard as you can.
But my little finger has a mind of it's own. I press my first finger down on a fret and my little finger shoots straight out.

So I guess to make a long story short.... I realized a long time ago that I wasn't going to be able to play super fast lead runs because of this so I had to devise an alternative way of doing it.

So I totally concentrated on tapping. In fact I made it my main area of study.
Any time I saw a guy doing super fast runs with is little finger kept close to the fingerboard...I'd relearn the same run using my right hand to fill in any missing notes.

At first it was difficult...but after so many years it actually turned into an advantage because I could now not only play the same runs, but expand on then by doing multiple tapping with my right hand.

I guess the point of my story here is that even if your have a disability, just by substituting an alternative way of doing things, you might not only be able to play what you want.... but you could very well come up with a new way of playing that nobody else can do (think of Jeff Healey :)
# 3
K2BT
K2BT
02/14/2009 5:45 pm
I have ms also and it messed up my timing and I would miss strings if I was fingerpicking. Somedays even holding on to a pick was a chore. I also had 3 fusions on my neck so my left hand didn't feel much. I got so frustrated that I didn't want to play at all. It took me 15 years to get back enought feeling so I could play again. There are quite a few others on here going through similar problems. I guess the big thing I keep telling myself is Don't quit! That's something you can't let yourself do. For a long time I let ms dictate what I was going to do with my life, but now I don't let it run my life at all. If I want to play guitar, I'm gonna play to the best of my ability come hell or high water! There are times I sound so bad missing all kinds of notes and other times I play so good I would have no trouble keeping up with anyone. I know it's frustrating as hell at times but keep playing! Send me an e-mail if you want, I do know what your going through and it ain't fun but don't let ms tell you you can't play anymore because you can! Take Care-John
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Gibson SG Special
Marshall MA50 Head
Peavey Penta Full Stack Amp
Peavey Windsor Half-Stack
Boss GT-10 Guitar Processor
Springfield 1911 - 45cal to protect investment

K2BT- my amateur(ham) radio call sign
# 4
cchonos
cchonos
02/14/2009 6:25 pm
I want to take my hat off to all of you....I fortunately do not have anything that hinders playing...but have the upmost respect to anyone that gets past their disability to do what they enjoy doing.
# 5
Itsmesilly
Itsmesilly
02/15/2009 3:23 am
Thanks everyone for even replying....kinda felt funny posting.
But it is what it is and unfortunately...it is something that can all of a sudden take away everything I have worked on.
Right now I am doing fine...and I am thankful for that....wish it was an excuse for why I havent gotten to where i want to be...but that would be my own fault and lack of practice.
Its all good though.....I roll with it and go with the flow
what more can ya do ya know?

My goal is to someday own a Gibson before the time comes ...if it does...that I cant play.

Saving my pennies but there is always a bill that comes first

til then I keep signing up for contests and hoping I will be that lucky one....
# 6

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.