Need a recommendation

01/27/2009 1:41 pm
OK, I understand the importance of playing scales against a backing track and recording yourself so that you can track your progression. What do you recommend I buy, given that I have no recording equipment? I just want something simple that will record my sound (including a regular acoustic), and play it back so that I can play alongside of it. Since this will be my first purchase I am not looking to break the bank.
# 1
Superhuman
Superhuman
01/27/2009 2:54 pm
You can get a professional level recording software package for free here:
http://reaper.fm/
If you like it you can pay $50 for the licence but you don't actually have to...
This software does pretty much everything that Cubase and ProTools but it's around 20 times cheaper.

Next you need to get the sounds into your computer. To do this you need a soundcard, your pc may already have one onboard (most do). Chances are if it is a stock card you will only have an 1/8 inch line in (the size of a walkman plug). Problem is that the line out from your guitar is a 1/4 inch so you will either need an 1/8 to 1/4 inch jack plug OR ideally a new soundcard. Lots of choice out there, just make sure the card you get is for making music and not gaming.
Alternatively, if you get a unit like the PODxt you can use that as a multi effects unit and soundcard (it hooks up to your pc through a usb connection). Depends on what your budget is and how much you want to be able to do.
# 2

01/28/2009 3:15 am
Thanks for the response. I just found out today at work that I already have access to a pretty good recording suite, aka Garage Band. I have a Mac and wasn't even aware of its capability. Now I have to find a good microphone for my computer.
# 3
Razbo
Full Access
Razbo
Full Access
03/30/2009 5:47 pm
Originally Posted by: americanthinkerThanks for the response. I just found out today at work that I already have access to a pretty good recording suite, aka Garage Band. I have a Mac and wasn't even aware of its capability. Now I have to find a good microphone for my computer.

I was reading somewhere recently that it's preferable to use the Line In jack on your Mac rather than the Mic jack. (Assuming they have the same options as a PC.) Haven't tried it, just passing it on. :)
...so ever since then, I always hang on to the buckle.
# 4
swright00
swright00
04/02/2009 8:26 pm
Originally Posted by: americanthinkerThanks for the response. I just found out today at work that I already have access to a pretty good recording suite, aka Garage Band. I have a Mac and wasn't even aware of its capability. Now I have to find a good microphone for my computer.

You have a Mac and wasn't aware of its capability?! Hang your head. ;)

The guitar lessons in garage band actually rekindled my interest which led me here.

$5 to have Sting teach you Roxanne or $12 a month for incredible lessons...Love this place!
# 5
JeffS65
JeffS65
04/02/2009 10:40 pm
If you really want to fire up GarageBand, I think the Stealth Plug from IK is supposed to be pretty cool. To do some starter recording, I was going to check it out. I can afford to lose $100 on trying it and it comes with a pretty good load of enclosed software like Amplitube (which I read was compatible with GarageBand) and it's all plug-n-play with a Mac.

Just a thought.
# 6
dragonshade
dragonshade
04/09/2009 9:27 am
Best recommendation possible.... see my post in this thread...
http://www.guitartricks.com/forum/showthread.php?t=28685&page=2

The unit has an internal mic with which you can record your acoustic (it does very well... if you want go to this link. Click the player you'll find in the first
post by Kody. He recorded this using his acoustic and singing through the onboard mic. I think you will be very surprised. If you get one and join the site I'm linking you to, please be sure to say hi to me over there.
http://bossbr.net/community/index.php?topic=1996.0
# 7

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.