are these normal stages of learning?

Itsmesilly
Itsmesilly
01/23/2009 4:27 pm
ok...

1...I dont practice much "standing up" and now I find it so much easier when I am sitting down playing...I know I know...so stand up while I pracice. In time..in time...But is it typical to be sitting down while learning?

and 2...I have this thing while playing ...I look at the neck...again I know I know...practice some chords without looking ( while standing up ) and icrease from there....but is this also a common thing when learning to have to look at the neck for placement? even with chords I can change fairly fast I still look at the neck....

I feel like these are two things I need to breah the bad habit of
# 1
RickBlacker
Full Access
RickBlacker
Full Access
01/23/2009 5:57 pm
Don't feel like you're alone. I'm with you on both accounts.

I always sit down while playing/practicing. I suspect it's something very common. Having said that, I do from time to time make it a point to stand and practice. Only because I know that if I ever am in a band and playing a live gig, chances are I will need to be standing.

As far as looking at the fretboard? Well... Unless you are special and having eye's on your fingertips, I would have to imagine that it's VERY common for beginners to stare. In fact, I stare so hard that often times it leaves my eye sight out of wack. I'll practice for an hour or two, then go to bed and try to watch TV. I can't read any text on TV for a while. It eventually goes away, but... Ok, I will also admit that I most likely need to go in for an eye checkup.

But, having said that, I do also try to make some point at playing without looking when I've become familiar with something I'm doing. However, I've watch video's were even the stars are looking at their frets.
[U]Ricks Current Mystery Video[/U] - Updated Monday March/02/2015
# 2
JeffS65
JeffS65
01/24/2009 12:29 am
Playing guitar is not materially different that proficiency in typing when it comes to muscle memory. My thought is to look as needed and you will eventually find that you won't always need to look. Every guitar player looks. Even the best of the best need a few moments to look for whatever reason so I don't think it is a treasonous rule that your breaking by doing that. After you've become comfortable it will just happen.
# 3
Itsmesilly
Itsmesilly
01/24/2009 4:12 am
I was at a friends playing today and another thing I realllly tried to do was a hold a few chords in a steady rhythem while talking....not even singing ( which I cant anyway )

my brain doesnt realize I want my hands and mouth to work together yet

I keep saying come on guys...lets all be friends here...please?

slow progress but ill take any progress
# 4
Washburnd
Washburnd
01/26/2009 7:00 pm
If it was easy - everyone would do it! I can only sing two songs, and thats Dust in the Wind and Little Red Riding Hood. But i learned those songs when I was 14, I'm now 24.. I don't care tho! I still play them and sing them even tho my singing is worse than my playing!
# 5

01/28/2009 3:35 am
One word: Practise.

Playing while standing isn't really a problem for me it just comes naturally whne I stand up and play so I wouldn't know but...

I started out on chords and have just been playing and playing putting them together differently and alternating my strumming to create something unique.
# 6
Superhuman
Superhuman
01/28/2009 11:53 am
For those of you who play sitting down, when it comes time to play a gig forget about looking cool and raise the guitar strap. Too many guys get too caught up on trying to have their guitars at a 'cool' height - check out uber shredders like Shawn Lane, Rusty Cooley and John Petrucci etc to see how holding positions etc.
As far as looking at the fretboard goes, its just like typing without looking at the keyboard - it takes a LOT of practice!!
# 7
Itsmesilly
Itsmesilly
01/28/2009 5:03 pm
lol...I have to look at the keyboard when typing...ugh

ive been playing standing up
though I never intend on being on a stage or playing in a band....I am still trying to play standing as i know it changes the angles and position of your wrist and all
# 8
fredhe12
Noob Hack
fredhe12
Noob Hack
01/29/2009 12:14 am
Originally Posted by: SuperhumanFor those of you who play sitting down, when it comes time to play a gig forget about looking cool and raise the guitar strap. Too many guys get too caught up on trying to have their guitars at a 'cool' height - check out uber shredders like Shawn Lane, Rusty Cooley and John Petrucci etc to see how holding positions etc.

This is a good point. I was watching Beatles Anthology with my son the other day (we're both beginners) and we commented to each other how high they held their guitars (especially Lennon).

And you're right about trying to look cool by holding so low that you can barely reach the strings. I immediately checked my strap and raised it. :D
# 9
RickBlacker
Full Access
RickBlacker
Full Access
01/29/2009 2:40 am
By the time I'm good enough to be on a stage, I'll be so old it wont matter where I put my guitar. :D
[U]Ricks Current Mystery Video[/U] - Updated Monday March/02/2015
# 10
Kevin Taylor
Guitar Tricks Instructor
Kevin Taylor
Guitar Tricks Instructor
01/29/2009 3:24 am
I don't get why guys think it's cool to hang their guitars around their knees when they're playing. It's been done so much that it's kinda corny when you see it these days. We get a good laugh out of that kind of stuff... like guys who put their mics a foot above their heads and point it downwards or hold their mics right at the top and cover their mouths...or playing guitar with your teeth or behind your back.
I'd prefer to be sitting down or hang my guitar around my chin than look like a dork and sound terrible. :cool:
# 11
CapAnson
CapAnson
01/29/2009 2:31 pm
Well they're just copying their heros.. Lemmy with the mike thing.. Hendrix with the weird guitar positions.. Lennon used to play with his guitar the opposite... way up on his chest, funny how nobody tries to copy that. But whatever gets someone motivated to play and get better I'd say.. it's the sound that matters to me not the look.
# 12

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.