Recording tones - good tip

Superhuman
Superhuman
01/23/2009 1:23 pm
Here is a tone tip that I only recently discovered that has completely changed the way I approach all recording. If you can, use multiple guitars when recording. I'm lucky because I have a fair few axes so now I use one guitar for recording all rhythm parts, another for doing harmonies and a separate one for lead (neck and bridge). Sounds like a lot of hassle but in terms of geting different tones that actually each stand out clearly in a mix this has been a revelation for me. Anyone working off one guitar can improve things by putting an EQ pedal onfront of their preamp to affect the raw pickup tone for each guitar part - this works a lot better than recording everything off the same setting then tweaking with post EQ (been experimenting with that too recently). Of course, if you are using a PODxt or something like it you could use a different patch for each part but remember the characteristics of the pickups will be very similar regardless of the levels of distortion. Just thought I'd share the ideas.
# 1
RickBlacker
Full Access
RickBlacker
Full Access
01/23/2009 3:11 pm
Sounds like a good idea.
[U]Ricks Current Mystery Video[/U] - Updated Monday March/02/2015
# 2
Kevin Taylor
Guitar Tricks Instructor
Kevin Taylor
Guitar Tricks Instructor
02/12/2009 11:27 am
Works great but another method is just get a decent multi-effects pedal like a Boss -GT-8 and then run it through Amplitube.

Not only can you get multiple tones, but you can tweak your guitar tracks after the fact to make them sit better in the overall mix with the rest of the instruments.

One trick I use sometimes if the guitar track isn't driven enough, is to run the guitar track through a single output to an amp in the studio.

You mic the amp and re-record it on a separate track and then mix it in with the original recording so you can slightly pan it.

That way you get the processed electronic sound plus the natural overdrive sound if something like a Marshall 2600 with an attenuator.
# 3
Kevin Taylor
Guitar Tricks Instructor
Kevin Taylor
Guitar Tricks Instructor
02/12/2009 12:02 pm
Figured I'd add some additional info as well.

In regards to getting that 'esoteric' high quality sound.

Just some things I always do on my own recordings.

1) Clean up every track before mixdown. Go through each track and solo them to eliminate every scrape, click and accidental noises that don't belong.
2) Isolate each track and use a plug-in if necessary to bring the best sound out of the guitar. For instance I recently bought some Abbey Road plug ins that emulate what the Beatles used on their original sessions. I'm totally amazed at what these plug in's do to improve lackluster guitar tracks among other things.
3) Run any overdrive guitar parts through an amp or speaker emulator.
Amplitube or Ampex make awesome live emulators that will take that cheezy fuzz sound of most pedals and make them sound like real guitar being driven through a high end amp.
4) Double up guitar parts so that you can pan then left and right if necessary.
5) Before adding your guitar tracks... let your song sit for a few days in the can without listening to it. When you get back to it after several days, you'll have all kinds of energy and new ideas to add to the song instead of your natural first inclination.... to play it as precisely as possible.

6) Let the finished tune sit around for a couple of days so that your can listen to it with fresh ears before you mix it.

7) Master your recording. (if you don't know what that means I'll be covering an in-depth tutorial on how mastering will improve your recordings 100%
# 4
Neal Walter
GuitarTricks Channel Host
Neal Walter
GuitarTricks Channel Host
04/20/2009 10:01 pm
Thanks for posting this Kevin, some useful nuggets. :)
[FONT=Book Antiqua][FONT=Arial][FONT=Tahoma]Neal
GT Channel Host[/FONT]
[/FONT][/FONT]

http://www.guitartricks.com/channel/
# 5

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.