Squier Guitars

BarryS
BarryS
09/30/2000 11:31 pm
I'm thinking about buying a Squier Stratocaster. This will be my first electric guitar. I'd rather have a Fender, but it's just for practicing purposes, so I figured the extra $200 wasn't worth it. I will probably upgrade to an American Fender Strat someday when I get more experienced and start performing. Does anyone know anything about Squier guitars? I know at least a couple of people here have them. I tried one out at the guitar shop, so I'm pretty sure that it will serve my purposes nicely. Any input will be appreciated.

I'm also looking at a Peavey Blazer amp. Just a small practice amp. I don't know the model or number or anything. Is that a good choice?

[This message has been edited by BarryS (edited 09-30-2000).]
# 1
Jon68
Jon68
10/01/2000 12:06 am
I bought a Squier Strat a few years ago and real enjoyed the guitar, which had excellent sound and played fine. The longer I had it, though, I started thinking that maybe I'd install an American Standard Bridge and tuners to help stay in tune a little better. When I started looking at the price of the mods, I decided to trade the Squier in on an American Standard.
I had the Squier for more than a year and traded it in at the dealer where I originally bought the guitar. Since the Squier was in excellent condition (no scrapes, marks or dings), the dealer gave me full trade-in (what I paid) against the American Standard. I realy liked the American Standard - the guitar played better than the Squier, but I preferred the sound of the Squier.
I ended up selling the Strat after a couple of years and continued playing my 1968 Les Paul Custom which I bought new. I have wanted another Strat for a long time, and bought an American Standard Deluxe last February. That Strat is my guitar of choice now.
# 2
Fender1165
Fender1165
10/01/2000 1:08 am
A friend of mine owns a blazer amp. I've looked its specifications up and it seems pretty nice for such a small amp. He says it's a very good amp but I know he is a novice to guitar equipment. I believe he paid around $94 for it if I remember correctly. I'm assuming you're talking about the small practice amp but I think the blazer also comes in a larger model. I don't remember where I put my Peavey catalog so I can't tell u the model number. If I find it I will let you know.

------------------
-ejd

email:
Fender1165@aol.com
Guitarbiz@hotmail.com

Site: http://www.hometown.aol.com/Fender1165/index.html
(Sign the guestbook if u go :) )
-ejd

email:
Fender1165@aol.com
Guitarbiz@hotmail.com

Site: http://www.hometown.aol.com/Fender1165/index.html
(Sign the guestbook if u go :) )
# 3
Rat520
Rat520
10/01/2000 1:54 am
the one thing i dont like about squires is the stocky neck, if i were you i would but a new neck and get in put on, after you have played a better guitar for a while the neck on these things feels terribile, anyway the guitars have decent gear on them etc, just replace the neck.
"You know, we do more than just sing and dance. We've got a brain, too."
Backstreet Boys
# 4
Luke
Luke
10/01/2000 3:17 am
WEll since your just starting, I'll say this.

Get the guitar ,and in six months, if your still playing, then get the "real" strat.

What I did was start low then bought higher end models.

MY first guitar was a Squier Tele,next I bought a Fender American Standard Strat,then I bought an Ibanez Jem7VWH.

The Jem7VWH is the best guitar I've ever played, but if I would have played it after the first six months of playing the Tele, it would have felt like ****.

YOu see, your feel will change as your technical ability changes.

Hope it helps

[This message has been edited by Luke (edited 09-30-2000).]
When attempting the impossible, you achieve the best possible
# 5
Zeppelin
Zeppelin
10/01/2000 2:44 pm
I have squier strat for a year now, and somehow it feels more comfortable to me then original fender... but there is one annoying thing in squiers... when you use the swith of the pick ups while the amp is on it make noises, also i dunno why i have alot of feedback noise when guitar is on but i'm not playing...

"They think im crazy..
but i know better.
It is not I who am crazy.
It is I who am mad.."

ren hoek
# 6
BarryS
BarryS
10/01/2000 9:43 pm
Thanks for the input. Sounds like I should go for it.

Zeppelin, are you sure that's because of the guitar and not your amp? Have you had this problem with a different Squier guitar or with a different amp?
# 7
Zeppelin
Zeppelin
10/02/2000 7:12 pm
actually it could be cause of the amp
cause when i'm playing with good amps in other places it rarley happens... anyway those guitars dont have good setup when they come from the factory , so if you buy one make sure the shop owner or your teacher will make a good setup to this guitar, like my teacher done to mine
"They think im crazy..
but i know better.
It is I who am mad.."

ren hoek
# 8
RAC5150
RAC5150
11/26/2000 6:36 pm
I haven't played that many of the Squier Strats, but those that I have, I enjoyed. They may not be the best guitars ever made, but they are great for beginners. My first guitar was a Peavey Predator. Predators are basically Peavey's answer to the Squier line, and I have never had any complaints. The only thing that ever went wrong with it was the input jack, which is easily replaceable for under $25.00. Congratulations on your first electric.
"Our attitude was, Let's not be lazy about it. Let's have something new to offer."
- Kirk Hammett, Guitar World September 2000.
# 9
Zeppelin
Zeppelin
11/26/2000 7:41 pm
Squier guitars are not that bad... when i say to people that i use this guitar they laugh me... but actually i dont know why... ok it's not gibson sg, but for a beginner like me this is a great guitar... i'm playing through zoom 707 and small 10 watt amp, and it sounds better than my friend's original strat on fender bullet amp
"They think im crazy..
but i know better.
It is I who am mad.."

ren hoek
# 10
jake sommers
High Bandwidth
jake sommers
High Bandwidth
11/26/2000 10:16 pm
To me squier's are decent, but in my opinion if you got talent and can play it don't even matter if you're playing on a 2X4 with rubberband strings. I hear a lot of people say that a high end guitar will make you sound like a god, that ain't so. In my opinion,what you do with what you have is what makes you you. Yo what i'm saying is that a fresh faced kid ain't gonna pick up a guitar for the first time and sound like Clapton just because they have a $1200 fender strat. And i feel having cheaper guitars really makes you appreciate all the time and practice and how good you have gotten and how you have progressed on the road to getting that expensive guitar. Can yall dig what i'm saying
"Take my hand boss"
# 11

11/27/2000 2:38 am
I totally agree Jake, the guitar doesn't make the player. My guitar is is a yamaha somethin' or other... not sure the exact model name. Anyhow, it's in real bad shape. So many scratches and dings and stuff you wouldn't believe. The action is incredibly high too. So usually when I play for people, the first thing they think when they see my guitar is "this guy is doesn't know what he's doin'" or something like that, but when I play I prove them wrong. Not to mention the fact that when I do play a sweet guitar, my fingers fly over the strings because of all the extra strength I've got from my high-action guitar. I definatly plan on getting a new one once I get a job or something, but until then I'm not too concerned...
# 12
Rat520
Rat520
11/27/2000 10:19 pm
One thing thought,
a good guitar will make a good player sound even better, but you still have to have the natural tallent i admit. When i brought my new guitar, I started to improve heaps because i just wan't to keep playing it.

Anyway squiers make a decent begginers guitar, and good luck what ever you get.
"You know, we do more than just sing and dance. We've got a brain, too."
Backstreet Boys
# 13
winghoong
winghoong
11/28/2000 5:18 pm
SQUIER!!! Its my first electric guitar...i bought it 2nd hand from my campus senior... the sounds...kinda sucks...hehehehe...but for beginner..you wont bother the sound that much anyway... almost 10 months...i am playing with the squier... my squier really sucks...sounds horrible...although very cheap//compare to other branded guitars... the pickups and the sounds not really that sensitive... the neck sucks...and all..also..sucks..hehehe...but..after all././this squier..had went thru with me so many hard times... thank god...after i bought my new guitar ..an IBANEZ PGM30..i still keep my squier... not for sale..hehehe...
....if you think you are going realyl serious...into guitar..then buy a more expensive or better guitar...or you still unclear of your mind..go get the squier...i heard...there are some package..THE SQUIER pakage that comes with a guitar amp...straps...gig bags..cabble...rite?
wat u all think???

Wing Hoong
# 14
Zeppelin
Zeppelin
11/30/2000 8:59 pm
Well ponyone second hand is a good idea, but in my area even if you can buy second hand something , it will still cost you alot... here gibson sg costs at least 1000$
and only the rich people or those who play more then 3-4 years buy one...
but actually i think like most of you that if you are good people will here with any guitar... although when i'm playing in other places with good amps i can tell i have better sound...
"They think im crazy..
but i know better.
It is I who am mad.."

ren hoek
# 15

12/01/2000 2:01 am
Yeah I think the amp is the more important factor, that and distortion. Well, that is if you're playing rock or metal...
# 16
howie50
howie50
12/09/2000 8:49 pm
I play a Line 6 Flextone - you can get any tone you want out of that baby, from clean jazz tones to wild over driven metal distortion it's all there in one box at the turn of a dial ! It's 60w output but I've never played anywhere close to full on. It's got several good on board FX too. At just under Ā£600 (Sterling) it was a good buy. Thats maybe about $750 US. I don't work for Line 6 but, if you Line 6 guys are reading this you could send me some cash or freebies for the ad. Although in America you tend to pay the the same amount of dollars as we in the UK would pay in pounds sterling, (that's because of our high taxes I believe).
It takes 3 chords, 2 fingers and one asshole to play rock'n'roll
# 17
chrisramguitarman
chrisramguitarman
12/12/2000 8:39 pm
The squier was my first ever guitar and i dident regret buying it. They have a really unique sound and are very versatile. My mate kept dissing my squier because he was getting a mexican for almost double the price of the squier, they both almost play look the same.
BUY THE SQUIER BUY THE SQUIER

# 18
chrisramguitarman
chrisramguitarman
12/13/2000 6:43 pm
Fenders are too hyped up. Most unrecognised makes produce better sound and construction than fenders for the same price. I first bought a Fender Squier because I knew of no other makes, so look around.
Fender walk the walk, but they dont talk the talk.

# 19

12/13/2000 8:25 pm
hmm...

are you saying that because you've done actual research to prove it or because your defensive about your squier? Not trying to be abbrasive, but I'd have to disagree with you. Tele's have an instantly recognizable twang to them, which is probably why just about every modern country player in the world uses one. Squiers I'm not to sure about tone wise, but they aren't legendary for nothin'. I do however feel that some of the low end strats out today aren't worth the fender hype. Anyhow, I would discourage anyone from buying a guitar just on it's brand name... you need to try them out to find that one that suits you.
# 20

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.