Fingerstyle

oldtimehobbies
Full Access
oldtimehobbies
Full Access
11/25/2008 3:22 pm
I am wondering if fingerstyle is the same as fingerpicking or Travis picking?? I am finally bitting the bullet and going to add this to my practice schedule but I am not sure of the best method to start with? Or if they are all the same or if I gotta learn all different styles :confused: Thanks for the help,

Ed
I stay in the dog house its easier that way...
# 1
oldtimehobbies
Full Access
oldtimehobbies
Full Access
11/25/2008 11:27 pm
Ok I think I got this figured it out as fingerpicking is just like classical guitar? Thats a good thing and Travis Picking is a totally different style? Is that correct? Thanks,
Ed
# 2
Bryan Connolly
Bryan Connolly
11/27/2008 12:34 am
"Fingerstyle" encompasses all types of playing with your fingers. It's also more of a classical term, wheras if you were playing a folk tune with your fingers you would most likely hear it referred to as "fingerpicking." Travis picking refers to a certain style where the thumb plays an alternating bassline and the index and middle fingers play alternating treble notes. Here's a Wikpedia article on the whole subject:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Travis_picking#Travis_picking
# 3
oldtimehobbies
Full Access
oldtimehobbies
Full Access
11/27/2008 1:36 am
Thanks Bryan that provided an exceptional definition and was exactly what I was looking for.

Ed
# 4
LisaMcC
Guitar Tricks Instructor
LisaMcC
Guitar Tricks Instructor
11/27/2008 3:22 am
Hi Ed-

If you'd like to check out the fundamentals of Travis picking (and much fingerstyle guitar), I have a tutorial that might be a good fit for you, called Acoustic Fingerpicking for Beginners. It's a new set of lessons, recently posted. Levels 1 and Level 2 are currently up and running, with many more filmed and currently in the editing process. Stay tuned!

Even though levels 1 and 2 do not yet get into a thorough discussion of "Travis" picking, I promise that if you follow these lessons, you'll be on the right track. I'll be posting the official "Travis picking" lesson very soon! Meanwhile, if you'd like to get started, here is the link to the tutorial.

http://www.guitartricks.com/tutorial.php?input=596

Best wishes, and keep us posted! -Lisa McCormick
Lisa McCormick, GT Instructor
Acoustic, Folk, Pop, Blues

Full Catalog of Lisa's Guitar Tricks Tutorials
Find Lisa on Facebook!
# 5

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.