Hexachord solved!

Azrael
Gargoyle Instructor
Azrael
Gargoyle Instructor
12/14/2001 2:20 pm
HI folks!

A tutor at Salzburg Music Conservatory (and close friend to my teacher) has obviously discovered how the "Hexachord" system works!

For all those who do not know what the Hexachord is/was:
It was a musical system that the ancient musicians (like back for example) used to write their pieces. Unfortunately none of them ever wrote it down so it got lost. The only thing that music-historians know is, that the Hexachord must have existet, else Bach would never have been able to write a piece like "the art of fuge" within such a short period of time.

This dude from Salzburg has worked 10 years till he finally discovered how it works - he´s now writing everything down and is about to explain it all to my techer - as soon as i know how it works i will post some stuff here.

Up to now i only know that it is MUCH easier than modern Harmony-school (harmonics?) - and everything that does not fit in the modern system can be explained with the Hexachord - it is not based on 7 notes per scale but only on 6 notes per scale, and every scale can be opened up and down .. i have no clue how it actually works but i will tell you as soon as i know!

-=[Azrael]=-

[FONT=Times New Roman]Holiness is in right action and courage on behalf of those who cannot defend themselves. What you decide to do every day makes you a good person... or not.[/FONT][br][br]

# 1
lalimacefolle
lalimacefolle
12/14/2001 7:11 pm
I knew tetrachords, but I haven't heard about this, isn't it a prank though?? Sometimes, people say they have found the lost opera, or symphony, except this time, it's about theory...
I hope it isn't, I can't wait to finish my fugue, it's been way too long...

I've been on the net, and actually, it's just another way of seeing music... It won't help you to get better if you don't have an inner voice, or talent... Too bad...

[Edited by lalimacefolle on 12-14-2001 at 02:17 PM]
# 2
pstring
Big as Elvis, Baby
pstring
Big as Elvis, Baby
12/16/2001 3:52 am
Well I'm interested, I'm not really sure that Bach would need a special system to write Art of Fugue or anything else for that matter, but I wouldn't mind taking a look at this system, who knows, I might even tune up the old harpischord
# 3
Azrael
Gargoyle Instructor
Azrael
Gargoyle Instructor
12/20/2001 12:58 pm
Ok - In jannuary (3rd) there wil be a big symposium where Walter (Walter Haberl - the dude who solved it) will speak before the creme-dela-creme of austrian musicians (i wonder who that should be *LOL*).

I will visit this thingy too wif my teacher (no - i´m not the creme) and then i´ll post further details..

Walter also told me that he´ll write a book "The Complete Hexachord" or sumthin.. this´ll be VERY interrestig.

-=[Azrael]=-

[FONT=Times New Roman]Holiness is in right action and courage on behalf of those who cannot defend themselves. What you decide to do every day makes you a good person... or not.[/FONT][br][br]

# 4
crazyguy
crazyguy
12/20/2001 12:59 pm
I've recently noticed a trend towards writing "I will teach you to understand music" books and it reminds me of the "I will teach you how to live" phase (doesn't it still last?) which I dislike. However,
I WANNA SEE, I WANNA SEE!!!
Impendance is fruitfull
while the buttons are circled.:eek:
# 5

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.