Official Redesign Feedback Thread

Jon Broderick
Administrator
Jon Broderick
Administrator
11/21/2008 1:54 am
Please post your comments and suggestions about the new site design in this thread.

thanks!

:)
Jon Broderick
Guitar Tricks Instructor

www.GuitarTricks.com - Home of Online Guitar Lessons
# 1
RickBlacker
Full Access
RickBlacker
Full Access
11/21/2008 4:01 am
A new page that was in a grid that

=====================================
FILTERING (basically, what you used to have)

1) Difficulty / Acending - Decending
------------------------------------------------
a. Beginner
b. Easy
c. intermediate
d. advanced

2) Subject Area / Acending - Decdending
a. Chords
b. Scales
c. Tapping
d. Strumming
e. Arpeggios
f... ect ect....

3) Instructor / Acending - Decending
a. list all the instructors

4) Music Style / Acending - Decending
a. Classical
b. Folk
c. Country
d. Jazz
e. Rock
5. Metal
6. RAP (ha, joking)

5) Theory / Acending - Decending
a. Circle of 5ths
b. Chords
c. Intervals
d. ect... ect...

7) Tutorials listed alphabetically / Acending - Decending

PAGING
The page could also allow you to "SHOW ALL" or choose how many items to display on a given page. Have hyperlink page numbers so you can easily skip pages.

Those are just some ideas off the top of my head. If this was written in Microsoft .NET, I would offer up my services, but I don't know squat about ;) PHP.
[U]Ricks Current Mystery Video[/U] - Updated Monday March/02/2015
# 2
0x1a4
0x1a4
11/21/2008 4:45 am
I haven't had a chance to browse the site much yet, but the new layout looks really nice!

I wanted to say that sometime during my hard drive crash and decision to stop using windows vista, you made these changes. I'm now running Gentoo Linux amd64, using a 64-bit firefox and flash plugins. All of the videos play fine, and I can run everything under the tools - jam, metronome, etc. Haven't found any weirdness. Not that I had issues here with vista on this site with the old version, but I know some feedback from the bit more 'exotic' platforms is appreciated.
# 3
RickBlacker
Full Access
RickBlacker
Full Access
11/21/2008 4:48 am
Work with me here... I know this seems kind of far fetched... But...

Along with the new course layout, I think a way to measure progress would be great. It's very easy to simply blow through the learnng material. However, it would be nice to have a way to be held accountable. A voluntary testing structure with homework.

Perhaps there is a question and answer test at the end of teach chapter.

I'd even go as far as to a system where you submit a recording of yourself on the current material that you're studying for review.

To go along with this, how about a status.

Beginners have maybe 1 guitar next to their name
Easy level users have maybe 2 guitars next to their name
Intermediate level users have maybe 3 guitars
Advanced have 4 guitars

However, you have to earn them.

I'm just thinking something along an accademy approach would be fun and challenging.
# 4
RickBlacker
Full Access
RickBlacker
Full Access
11/21/2008 4:50 am
Perhaps a rotating weekly subject. Maybe one week the focus area is on chords, the next week could be a focus on scales, the next week could be a focus on arpeggios...

Sorry guys for all the input, I'm a software engineer who works for the marketing department. :D
# 5
The Slasher
I rule.
The Slasher
I rule.
11/21/2008 4:20 pm
Well, I think this new layout will work better for most people. Personally, I've been let down by the redesign --sorry I won't chime in with everyone else-- because the site now seems a bit too "antiseptic" to me. Plus, white and gray seem to be ruling the roost right now, a color scheme I've never fancied.

There are definitely some great new features like the "learning process" article etc but I'm talking primarily about the look here. I don't know quite how to put it but it's like things are suddenly much bigger, but there's less of everything.

Also, the layout feels so alien and much less homely than it used to. Then again, I have to get used to the changes before I can give a more non-nostalgic comment. I definitely miss GT v1 but if the new layout will make the site more friendly for the whole community, I'm all up for it.

Regardless of how I feel, great work guys. Keep it up.
# 6
SrMasterSell
SrMasterSell
11/21/2008 6:48 pm
The new site design is beautiful! Looks fantastic!

I can tell you have poured your heart and energy into it.

Ron
# 7
joe109ems
joe109ems
11/21/2008 6:52 pm
:mad: What happened to the website?? I have been using guitartricks on my 2 macs for a couple of months now. For the last 3 days neither safari or firefox on either machine is working and i cant see the videos on firefox, and safari? FORGET IT! its totally screwed up. What the hell did IT do? Did something change???
# 8
mike4044
mike4044
11/21/2008 7:10 pm
The first time I signed on to the new concept I immediately saw differences from the old setup, I thought I had done something wrong, but After looking around for a few minutes I liked what I saw.The new setup is much more user friendly. I like it. You did REAL GOOD.
Mike
# 9
Lordathestrings
Gear Guru
Lordathestrings
Gear Guru
11/21/2008 7:42 pm
I have moved your thread to this part of the forum, where I'm sure your concerns will be addressed. We're always working to improve the site, but sometimes those efforts lead to some initial glitches.

I'm using IE 7 on Vista, and so far the only problem I've had is with the page position. I like to view the pages at 150% to make them the full width of my monitor, but the pages come up shifted to the right so that I have to drag them back to the centre of the screen every time I open a new page.

I like the look, and it seems to load faster, too!
Lordathestrings
Guitar Tricks Moderator

# 10
elklandercc
Full Access
elklandercc
Full Access
11/21/2008 9:36 pm
Copied from the other thread:

I browsed some more, and the lesson pages themselves are laid out very well. Looks very clean and organized, and the list of other lessons on the right is nice and... not cluttered haha.

I think the way you have all the lessons listed when your broswing is too much and would take too long to go through if your just browsing. Other sites use this type of layout because they lack lessons and that gives them the illusion that they have a lot. Since GT has so many lessons that would only cause problems. Mabey if you could have a setting in your profile to offer an expanded view (current look) and a simple view (old GT style.) That would work very well.
"During this line, the kid acted like he was pushing buttons on a calculator in the air. The kid played ******* air-calculator!"

Myspace
# 11
stevo-edwards
stevo-edwards
11/21/2008 9:50 pm
Nice work! much easier to navigate. I've been a member for a few days under two years. Not all that involved in the forums. I use this place as a reference and find it most helpful. The Price is very right! It was, however a bit cumbersum to navigate...

Excellent work Jon! Larger Print, better positioning for navigation...

Keep up the great work...

The only thing I can see that may need attention is the background on the borders. Either White or Black. the gray will tend to draw the eye from content and, well you get the picutre...

Otherwise ... Outstanding...

Stevo...
:cool: Just Play Man... Just Play...
# 12
Tyrel777
Tyrel777
11/21/2008 10:27 pm
So far I do like the new site. I have been member for less than six months, so I am kind of a newb, but I do like what you have done.

Overall, I am extremely pleased with GT and the lessons that I have been getting. I could not be happier with the progress I have made and with the material.
# 13
denekawa
denekawa
11/22/2008 1:30 pm
The new improvements certainly add to an already informative and information filled site. I love this site! :cool:
# 14
rongreene
rongreene
11/22/2008 3:27 pm
I'd like to be able to Delete Bookmarks when I no longer need them. I don't see any way to this so far.

Great job overall on the revamp.
# 15
elklandercc
Full Access
elklandercc
Full Access
11/22/2008 3:32 pm
It seems like after the re-design, theres a lot more spam for some reason.
"During this line, the kid acted like he was pushing buttons on a calculator in the air. The kid played ******* air-calculator!"

Myspace
# 16
Lordathestrings
Gear Guru
Lordathestrings
Gear Guru
11/22/2008 7:39 pm
Originally Posted by: elklanderccIt seems like after the re-design, theres a lot more spam for some reason.

When we delete a spam thread, the default options leave the thread visible in the index. If the moderators remember to un-check those options during the deletion process, the index should remain tidy.
Lordathestrings
Guitar Tricks Moderator

# 17
oldtimehobbies
Full Access
oldtimehobbies
Full Access
11/22/2008 10:06 pm
Looks real nice. But I am not sure about easier to navigate...for example.

I picked lessons then acoustic.

First thing I see is Acoustic lessons....time 1-2 hours this makes sense.

Recommended level is intermediate to advanced.

The first 2 lessons are 2 guitars I guess this is beginner??

The next lesson is 5 guitars I guess this is expert?

This is followed by 1 guitar I guess absolute beginner?

Then the last one on the page is again 5 guitars I guess this is expert?

The next thing is Tips and Tricks ...time 15- 30 minutes this makes sense.

Recommended level is intermediate to advanced.

All the tips and tricks listed on the first page are 2 guitars I guess this is beginner?

This to me doesn't seem better than the old style where you could sort lessons by many ways. I spent a lot of time looking for lessons suited to my level of playing then I bookmarked them. It looks nice though.
The old way has absolute beginner, beginner, easy, intermediate, advanced and expert. The number of guitars represents the skill levels seems to make sense.

I think it would be better if everything was grouped to skill level, atleast, since I can't seem to find a way to sort anything anymore, but maybe I just don't see it. I don't even see a way to sort my bookmarks :confused: Maybe I am wrong but there doesn't seem to be any order to the lessons other then being grouped by style such as "acoustic" Seems like all of the acoustic lessons where just thrown into this category but I don't see how they are organized :confused:

It's just like anything you get used to and then changes. I guess I will get used to it and figure out how its supposed to work. Keep the great lessons coming,
Ed

Edit: figures right after I posted this I found what I was looking for under advanced search. Seems this is the way to sort by whatever you want to sort by. Keep up the good work guys!
I stay in the dog house its easier that way...
# 18
markt700
markt700
11/22/2008 11:59 pm
thins are alot different here - very nice
R mayer the intructer lives i my town , I had singing lessons with his wife charlotte at college - damn its a small world :D
SHREDKNOWLEDGE.COM Free guitar fun :cool:
# 19
ddiehldoug
ddiehldoug
11/23/2008 3:53 pm
When I view the instructions of a lesson ,for instance, Doug Fearman's Country Rock rolling lick #1- (or whatever) I want to view the video, while looking at the note fingerings at the same time.
Also I want to print the notes and fingerings so I can look at them and memorize them , such as, if I have a spare minute at work.
Now we cannot print this stuff out, and it pisses me off.

The new format sucks
# 20

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.