November Sweetwater Gear Review Giveaway - Epiphone John Lennon EJ-160E

Jon Broderick
Administrator
Jon Broderick
Administrator
11/06/2008 12:13 am
November Sweetwater Gear Review Giveaway - Epiphone John Lennon EJ-160E

The November contest is again sponsored by our good friends at Sweetwater.com.

Sweetwater has been so gracious to provide us an interesting piece of gear every month to review and give away to you! Think of Sweetwater when doing your holiday shopping. They are really great folks.

We are going to give the EJ-160E away to a lucky newsletter reader next week.

To register to win, just reply to this thread!

Please read the rules in the next post to be sure you are eligible. Unfortunately, we can't ship this out of the U.S., so it is only open to U.S. residents.

In order to win this prize, you must "enter" the contest by posting on this thread before Friday, November 14th.
Jon Broderick
Guitar Tricks Instructor

www.GuitarTricks.com - Home of Online Guitar Lessons
# 1
Jon Broderick
Administrator
Jon Broderick
Administrator
11/06/2008 12:16 am
*** Sweetwater Gear Review Giveaway Contest Details ****

How Winners are Selected and Notified:

On November 14th, we will randomly select one winner from people who post a reply to this forum thread. Posting more than once will not increase your chances to win.

Winner will be announce in this forum thread (save your newsletter, it is the only external link to this thread).

Official Contest Rules

- Void where prohibited or restricted by law.

- Contest is only open to U.S. residents who are over 18 years of age.

- No purchase necessary.

- All Guitar Tricks members including both Full Access and Free Membership are eligible to win.

- Guitar Tricks instructors, forum moderators, staff and members of their households are not eligible.

- Winner will have 30 days to claim their prize.

- If you win, we will need to use to your name and image in the newsletter, so have a good photo of yourself to send us!

- Prize winners are responsible for all federal, state and local taxes.

- By accepting a prize, all winners agree that Guitar Tricks, their affiliates, and all of the officers, directors, employees,
representatives and agents of Guitar Tricks, will have no liability whatsoever for, and will be held harmless by winner for any
liability for any injury, loss or damages of any kind, to winner or other persons, including (without limitation) injuries, loss or
damages arising out of or relating to death, and, injuries, damages or losses to property, due in whole or in part, directly or
indirectly, from the acceptance, possession, use or misuse of the prize or participation in this giveaway.

- Guitar Tricks reserves the right to cancel, terminate, modify or suspend the giveaway, reject any entry, or make any revisions to the official rules as we deem necessary.
Jon Broderick
Guitar Tricks Instructor

# 2
Jon Broderick
Administrator
Jon Broderick
Administrator
11/06/2008 12:20 am

Epiphone John Lennon EJ-160E

$499 at Sweetwater.com:

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/EEEJVCCH

Electric-acoustic guitars are a staple of rock music. Although rock is primarily the music of the electric guitar, there are still many occasions where the sweeter, fuller tone of an acoustic is a welcome addition to a song.

There are two main reasons why the electric-acoustic configuration has been a part of rock music for 50 years. First, no rock musician wants to be confined to stand holding his acoustic guitar steadily in front of a microphone, ensuring that it picks up the sound evenly. Second, that same mic will pick up too much bleed-thru signal from the drums and bass, which are likely to be playing at a huge volume compared to the acoustic guitar, no matter how close it is to the mic. So, adding a pickup to an acoustic guitar is necessary to get the acoustic sound in a form that works in a rock environment.

Back in the 60s, Gibson's 2nd attempt at an electric-acoustic configuration was the J-160E. It met with a favorable response with two of the most popular guitarists of the time, John Lennon and George Harrison of The Beatles. They used the J-160E extensively in the studio and onstage. Later, John Lennon played the J-160E during his "bed-in for peace" protest in 1969.

The Epiphone John Lennon EJ-160E is patterned after the historic J-160E. It has a jumbo-sized body, a rosewood fingerboard, block fretboard inlays, and a humbucking pickup embedded in the body just below the base of the neck.

Unlike many modern electric-acoustic guitars, the EJ-160E does not hide the electronics in a recessed plate on the side. Instead, the single tone and volume knob are right on the front of the guitar, standard "Gibson bell knobs" in the standard electric guitar positions. Similarly, the jack is not hidden in the strap button, but on the bottom right corner just where it would be on a Les Paul.

This conspicuous display of electronic controls says "I am an electric acoustic, and I can rock if I want to." This sentiment is matched by the Vintage Cherry Sunburst finish, which is a good bit darker than your average acoustic guitar and more suited to a nightclub than a garden wedding.

Picking up the EJ-160E, I find it feels like a full-size acoustic. I think it is not quite as big as some others, but it definitely is full-sized. The headstock seems an inch longer than usual. The strings are close to the frets, with none of the buzzing associated with having them too low.

The fretboard meets the neck at the 15th fret, while many acoustics have the accessible fretboard end at the 14th fret. It may seem like a small issue, but having the 15th fret accessible is great for lead playing and just another little detail that says this is a rock guitar.

My favorite thing about this guitar: the room sound is quite good. It has a full shimmering quality that I didnā€™t expect in a mid-price instrument. It sounds a bit like a guitar Tom Petty might play. It is fun to angle the pick slightly to emphasize the twanginess.

I was at first a little disappointed in the sound of the guitar when played through our sound system. It has a more midrange sound through the pickup than it does acoustically. However, a little bit of EQ fixed that and I was able to get the approximate same twangy sound through the amplifier.

Overall, if I was looking for a stage acoustic guitar or one to play at coffee houses, this would do nicely and seems well worth the $500 price tag at Sweetwater.

Be sure to reply to this thread to enter the contest. If you win, I'll send the EJ-160E to you!
Jon Broderick
Guitar Tricks Instructor

# 3
charles canilla
charles canilla
11/06/2008 6:44 pm
Looks like a nice guitar.
# 4
sigdiamond
sigdiamond
11/06/2008 7:50 pm
looks vintage. I have never played one before...
# 5
elklandercc
Full Access
elklandercc
Full Access
11/06/2008 10:45 pm
Nice guitar and nice review.
"During this line, the kid acted like he was pushing buttons on a calculator in the air. The kid played ******* air-calculator!"

Myspace
# 6
tatonka357
tatonka357
11/07/2008 1:17 am
She looks lovely. I hope I get a chance to play one.
# 7
Rocker4321
Rocker4321
11/07/2008 2:54 am
Beatles fan forever I love this Guitarhttp://www.guitartricks.com/forum/newreply.php?do=newreply&noquote=1&p=229426#
# 8
slickbit13
slickbit13
11/07/2008 10:14 am
[CENTER][FONT=Book Antiqua]what an awesome guitar. had the chance to use one and fell in love. what a dream come true to win this sweetheart. [/FONT]
:D
# 9
ddaloia
ddaloia
11/07/2008 1:24 pm
An extremely beautiful guitar. I bet it plays as great as it looks!
gpone
gpone
11/07/2008 3:58 pm
I'd love one lf these guitars.
# 11
Minntar
Minntar
11/07/2008 3:59 pm
Looks like a heck of a nice box. I own three Epiphones, one @ 60 yrs old; one @ 10 yrs old; and one @ 3 yrs old. I play them all (not a once) and love them.
# 12
irtony
irtony
11/07/2008 4:00 pm
That's a great guitar. I had an epiphone years ago that I gave away to pay for my homecoming date. Still miss that one. (the guitar, not the girl)
# 13
sreardon
sreardon
11/07/2008 4:03 pm
If I win the JL Epiphone, first thing I'll do is play "Give Peace A Chance"....

All the best!

Skip
# 14
zielinsk
Full Access
zielinsk
Full Access
11/07/2008 4:03 pm
Looks like a great guitar. Count me in.
# 15
GRuf
GRuf
11/07/2008 4:04 pm
fingers crossed
# 16
DCEnglish
DCEnglish
11/07/2008 4:06 pm
I can only "imagine" playing that guitar.... ;)
# 17
lawnmaster1
lawnmaster1
11/07/2008 4:09 pm
I would certainly love to own a piece of history like this exceptional guitar. I've never even played one, and my old Ovation has taken quite a beating. My then 2 year old daughter threw her sippy cup and cracked the top. More expensive to fix than replace. Was this the guitar he played in "Help" on "You've got to hide you love away"?
# 18
chekprac
chekprac
11/07/2008 4:12 pm
Free would be even better!
# 19
dgarner
dgarner
11/07/2008 4:19 pm
Looks Sweet I've played Ovations for some time, but they just don't sound better with age (they sound great from the start and back when I starting playing them, they were the only acoustic/electric.) I'd love to add this guy to my collection.
# 20

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.