View post (theory vs learning songs)

View thread

zeb985
zeb985
12/05/2001 5:40 pm
ever sence I started playing the guitar all i've practiced is theory and learning the concept of music but ive never practiced any song. which is really starting to bother me because when people come over an ask me to play something all i can do is run through a scale or show them some chords I know. I enjoy learning the guitar and i have fun trying to learn new scales, chords and or trying to develop my picking by learning how to do pintch harmonics and ect... but i dont know if im stupid for only practicing what makes up a song versus learning any songs. my thoughts were to give up the next couple of years and just practice theory and what makes music and how to apply that to the guitar in hopes i would have a better understanding of music and my instrument.

Do you think this is dumb? In the long run just practicing scales and chord, and learning theory do you think this will help me or hender my ability in future years?

one last question I dont understand this yet so bare with me but if you are playing a Gmaj scale and start with A and end with A this is called an A dorian. But what if your playing an A min pentatonic what would you call it if started out with C and ended with C? If you call that a C dorian then how would you distinguish between the A minor pentatonic and the A#\Bb major scale?
two wrongs dont make a right but three lefts do.