Pinch Harmonics?

Mark1237
Mark1237
09/18/2008 1:52 am
Well, pinch harmonics are practically a necessity for any rock/metal player right (if not, then they're just very useful?)? But is it possible to play pinch harmonics on any [electric] guitar? I just want to be sure it is my own error, and not my gear's. I have a $70 First Act Electric Guitar, and a $50 Crate Bass Amp... is it possible to play any harmonics with that gear? Thanks, and keep rockin'
# 1
Mark1237
Mark1237
09/19/2008 12:57 am
Anyone? :(
# 2
0x1a4
0x1a4
09/19/2008 9:46 am
The thing with pinch harmonics is the area with your picking hand that you have to hit is small, and moves as your fretting hand moves up and down the neck. When you're fretting the note move your picking hand toward the bridge or up toward the neck and see if that helps. On my Squire, on the high E string fretted at 12, I'm hitting it between the neck pickup and middle pickup. I'm sure your guitar will be different, but if you find that 'sweet spot' you'll be good.
# 3

09/19/2008 10:59 am
0x1a4 is right. Harmonics sweet spots depends on which note you're playing.

Also try different pickup position. On my guitars, I have an easier time playing the harmonics on the bridge pickups. You can still play them on any pickup position but some pickups will make them easier.

You'll also get a different tone quality harmonics depending on your selection so it's good to experiment with all of them.
# 4
Kevin Taylor
Guitar Tricks Instructor
Kevin Taylor
Guitar Tricks Instructor
09/19/2008 11:49 am
You should be able to do them on pretty much any guitar.
It's hard to describe but there's several sweet spots over the pickups where you'll get the best harmonics so try moving up and down the string until you find where it rings at it's loudest and try to remember the positioning.
(keeping in mind the right hand position will change depending on what note you're playing)

Of course you'll have better success with the right equipment. So at some point you may want to think about upgrading to a better guitar and a guitar amp rather than a bass amp. (they're designed for different frequencies..especially if you're using a bass cabinet as well)

A distortion pedal or even better, a multi-effects pedal with both distortion and a compressor will also help a great deal. Especially in helping to sustain the harmonic once you've plucked them.

For full access members there's a tutorial on pinch harmonics showing the sweet spots etc., posted here:

http://guitartricks.com/lesson.php?input=1618
# 5
Mark1237
Mark1237
09/21/2008 6:30 pm
Thanks for the advice, guys, and is there any way, other than attempting pinch harmonics in each spot (because I may find the spot, but not know because I failed to successfully execute the pinch harmonic) to know where the "sweet spot" is? Thanks Again.
# 6
Kevin Taylor
Guitar Tricks Instructor
Kevin Taylor
Guitar Tricks Instructor
09/21/2008 7:13 pm
I just remember positions for certain songs, notes or keys like:

-----------
-----------
---7b9----
-----------
-----------
-----------

I know for sure I'll be playing in A sometime and bending up that string so I went out of my way to find the sweet spots and remember them.

Same thing for certain songs or leads..you just get used to where it is.
# 7
Fret spider
Fret spider
09/21/2008 8:30 pm
its quite easy to work out where the sweet spots are. at least roughly. u basically divide the distance between the fret u are pressin down to the bridge by a whole number. as the number goes up the pinch harmonic will be higher. but also harder to make it sound. iin general but it will depend on your pickup position and choice. the reasons for this are harder to explain and u dont rly need to know to be able to play them.

doin pinch harmonics is not an easy thing, although like anything once u got them down they are fairly easy. try and leave as little of the pick showing when u do them. hit the string with the pick and then fractionally later with the a bit of ur thumb. ur thumb should only just glace of the string. it takes practice. and if u want a better explanation of how to do it ask. hope this helps
# 8

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.