Overhand Slide

jerk
jerk
11/22/2001 9:22 am
hey, can anyone help me to understand what is a overhand slide??!!! If we have to do a particulary guitar tuning for a slide??! I've tried it a hundred of millions times but i've failed miserably, it sounds like fly-sound!! Plzzz tell me how to do it correctly! Thanks
# 1
crazyguy
crazyguy
11/22/2001 2:37 pm
I'll skip the overhand slide, but here are your other answers:
For playing with a slide you need your action (string height) high and heavy strings. I manage pretty well with .10's, but for a really mean sound, I would recomend even heavier. Anyway, there should be a mid-point, where you can use your guitar for slide and regular playing, but it's a compromise. So, if you have more than one guitar, I recomend designating one of them for slide.
Try it with regular tuning (EADGHe, but also with open E (EHEG#He) or open A (EAEAC#e) - just tune the strings to the pitches of a chord shape.
Set your gain as low as your ego can take, at least for the beggining, and later experiment with all the effects you can get (for ideas reffer to a few Pink Floyd songs, there's some slide on every album).
Don't get a cheap steel slide because it corodes quickly.
Impendance is fruitfull
while the buttons are circled.:eek:
# 2
jerk
jerk
11/22/2001 4:26 pm
Thanks so much :)
# 3
SRVLIVES
SRVLIVES
11/22/2001 6:37 pm
For overhand slide, check out Dave Hole, a guy from Perth in Western Australia who plays overhand because of an injury to his pinky.

As for strings, I wouldn't go too heavy if you're just beginning, 10s would be fine.

And as for tuning, you'll be better off, and your guitar will thank you too, by dropping the tuning to say Open D (6th to 1st, DADF#AD) or Open G (DGDGBD)

For more slide info check out http://www.bigroadblues.com
# 4

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.