theory links

awheysham
awheysham
11/08/2001 8:11 pm

I`m new to this site and forums in general i`ve been playing electric for a couple of years and acoustic for about 3 at school. I only have acoustic lessons at school most of what i have learnt on electric is by my self. my freinds think i`m great on guitar but i feel like i`m lacking in something i`m the sort of guitarist that does not take much notice of theory and tend to just learn riffs and licks in tab.I need to learn peices of music from start to finish but am to lazy. I can read music but use tab alot more. want to get into theory alot more as i have just learnt how vital it is if you want to get anywhere as a musician. Does anyone have any advice,tips,links to help me,or know of any good solo peices for guitar.
# 1
Christoph
is Super Fabulous
Christoph
is Super Fabulous
11/09/2001 5:42 am
Check out http://www.wholenote.com. I've found it to be pretty useful.

If you want to expand your theory knowledge, learn some Led Zeppelin pieces. Like "Babe, I'm gunna leave you" or the ever-present "Stairway to Heaven". They have various modulations that you might find interesting.
# 2
trebledamage
trebledamage
11/18/2001 4:32 pm
You're only going to be as good as your last guitar lick if you don't really take the time and learn music theory as it applies to the guitar. Guitar licks are great, don't get me wrong. That's how all guitar players start out playing. If all you want to do is show off a little bit at parties, then that's fine. But if you truely want to be good enough to improvise over just about anything and sound impressive in the process, you need to know where those riffs fit into the bigger picture. When you know that, you can create your own riffs as opposed to copying other people's ideas and stringing them together. I would recommend that you study jazz or classical music from a guitar teacher respected within the music community in your area. If you have a local school or university with a reputable music department, that would be a good place to start asking around for a good teacher. You may also want to check out "Just Jazz Guitar" magazine. There are lots of helpful tips in there and lots of articles discussing different aspect of theory. I believe that their website is http://www.justjazzguitar.com. Good luck and keep practicing.

[Edited by trebledamage on 11-18-2001 at 09:47 PM]
:cool:
# 3
chris mood
High Bandwidth
chris mood
High Bandwidth
11/19/2001 6:02 pm
COOL SITE
I seen the magazine a couple of times, it is a great mag. It's very expensive though as far as mags. go.
# 4
trebledamage
trebledamage
11/19/2001 11:02 pm
True. But the magazine only comes out like twice a year, or something like that which makes the price a little easier to deal with.
:cool:
# 5

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.