Ernie Ball Music Man Axis

spychocyco
spychocyco
02/18/2008 4:42 am

Price range: $1,500-$1,800 new, depending on finish and where you buy it; used models can be found starting around $1,000

Pros: Gorgeous looks, sweet unfinished neck, versatile sound
Cons: Tremelo is a bit stiff and has no back action, unfinished neck requires some extra tlc

Review: The Music Man Axis was originally branded the EVH, an Eddie Van Halen signature model. When Van Halen parted ways with Ernie Ball to go to Peavey, the line was continued as the Axis with a few minor alterations. The neck was widened by 1/32 inch to help with problems some people were having with the high e slipping off, and the pickup switch was moved back on the body under the volume knob. Everything else is essentially the same as the EVH model.

Let's start with the looks. Music Man makes absolutely beautiful guitars, and the Axis is one of the prettiest. With a highly-figured birdseye maple neck and quilt top, the Axis is gorgeous in just about any finish. The high-gloss polyester finish gives it a shine that few guitars can match. Mine is Pacific Blue Burst with a matching headstock, and my lousy photos really don't do it justice. The guitar is also available with a flamed maple top and with a natural headstock.

The star of the Axis, though, has to be the neck. With a 25 1/2-inch scale, it matches the Fender Stratocaster, but you wouldn't think that by looking at it or playing it. The 10-inch radius and asymmetrical design (the neck is slightly thinner on the high end than on the low end) give it a very comfortable feel in the hand. In short, this is the sweetest neck that I've ever played on a guitar. It's particularly nice for players with smaller hands. The unfinished neck, rubbed with gunstock oil and wax, offers quick, smooth movement up and down the neck. The downside of the unfinished neck, of course, is that it needs a little more care than the average neck. You must occasionally apply a coat of gunstock oil, and it's more susceptible to humidity changes than lacquered necks. For me, personally, the gains in playability are more than worth the trade off.

From a sound standpoint, the basswood body originally made me a little reluctant on a guitar in this price range. It's a wood normally associated with lower-end guitars. I was pleasantly surprised, though, by the tone of this guitar, even with the lighter wood. The two DiMarzio humbuckers are obviously geared toward rock sounds, but I've found the Axis to be remarkably versatile. Playing it through a Crate GT-80 combo with a Digitech RP-250 for effects, I've been able to get everything from a grinding metal sound to a twangy clean country sound out of it. This is, ultimately, a rock guitar, but I believe it's capable of just about any style.

Features-wise, the guitar has essentially what you need and not many bells and whistles. One knob to control volume and a three-way switch to choose the bridge pickup, neck pickup or both. The Music Man Floyd Rose-style locking tremelo holds its tune well, but is a bit stiff to operate and is set against the body, only allowing the lowering of pitch. True, most players don't yank back on the whammy bar very often, but it would be nice to have that option every now and then.

Summary: After a couple of months with my Axis, there's not another guitar in the world that I would trade it for. It's the most comfortable, easiest-playing guitar that I've ever picked up, and I've yet to find a sound that I can't dial up with it. If you're in the market for a high-end, high-quality guitar, I wouldn't make a purchase without at least giving an Axis a test drive.
http://spychocyco.blogspot.com
http://www.teethofthedivine.com
# 1
antl58
antl58
05/23/2014 6:36 pm
I bought one new last August 2013...Trans red...I own and have owned a few diffrent But tend to be A Gibson guy ...But wow talk about a perfect blend ..basically its like a Les Paul mixed with a Strat and then they slap a Floyd on it....which i bascially look at as a suped up version of a traditional Fender style trem...it dive smooth and deep with great sustain...and you stay in tune...which for most players is what they do but i can understand wanting to pull up at times....But for the money the neck is where the guitar makes its self a star most sweetest neck you will ever play ..the pick ups are amazingly flexable sound wise....and the looks and pure playing feel is a thing of beauty ....you can sit or stand for hrs with this Axe! Play one when you get a chance ....you will end up buying it.

Price range: $1,500-$1,800 new, depending on finish and where you buy it; used models can be found starting around $1,000

Pros: Gorgeous looks, sweet unfinished neck, versatile sound
Cons: Tremelo is a bit stiff and has no back action, unfinished neck requires some extra tlc

Review: The Music Man Axis was originally branded the EVH, an Eddie Van Halen signature model. When Van Halen parted ways with Ernie Ball to go to Peavey, the line was continued as the Axis with a few minor alterations. The neck was widened by 1/32 inch to help with problems some people were having with the high e slipping off, and the pickup switch was moved back on the body under the volume knob. Everything else is essentially the same as the EVH model.

Let's start with the looks. Music Man makes absolutely beautiful guitars, and the Axis is one of the prettiest. With a highly-figured birdseye maple neck and quilt top, the Axis is gorgeous in just about any finish. The high-gloss polyester finish gives it a shine that few guitars can match. Mine is Pacific Blue Burst with a matching headstock, and my lousy photos really don't do it justice. The guitar is also available with a flamed maple top and with a natural headstock.

The star of the Axis, though, has to be the neck. With a 25 1/2-inch scale, it matches the Fender Stratocaster, but you wouldn't think that by looking at it or playing it. The 10-inch radius and asymmetrical design (the neck is slightly thinner on the high end than on the low end) give it a very comfortable feel in the hand. In short, this is the sweetest neck that I've ever played on a guitar. It's particularly nice for players with smaller hands. The unfinished neck, rubbed with gunstock oil and wax, offers quick, smooth movement up and down the neck. The downside of the unfinished neck, of course, is that it needs a little more care than the average neck. You must occasionally apply a coat of gunstock oil, and it's more susceptible to humidity changes than lacquered necks. For me, personally, the gains in playability are more than worth the trade off.

From a sound standpoint, the basswood body originally made me a little reluctant on a guitar in this price range. It's a wood normally associated with lower-end guitars. I was pleasantly surprised, though, by the tone of this guitar, even with the lighter wood. The two DiMarzio humbuckers are obviously geared toward rock sounds, but I've found the Axis to be remarkably versatile. Playing it through a Crate GT-80 combo with a Digitech RP-250 for effects, I've been able to get everything from a grinding metal sound to a twangy clean country sound out of it. This is, ultimately, a rock guitar, but I believe it's capable of just about any style.

Features-wise, the guitar has essentially what you need and not many bells and whistles. One knob to control volume and a three-way switch to choose the bridge pickup, neck pickup or both. The Music Man Floyd Rose-style locking tremelo holds its tune well, but is a bit stiff to operate and is set against the body, only allowing the lowering of pitch. True, most players don't yank back on the whammy bar very often, but it would be nice to have that option every now and then.

Summary: After a couple of months with my Axis, there's not another guitar in the world that I would trade it for. It's the most comfortable, easiest-playing guitar that I've ever picked up, and I've yet to find a sound that I can't dial up with it. If you're in the market for a high-end, high-quality guitar, I wouldn't make a purchase without at least giving an Axis a test drive.[/QUOTE]
# 2

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.