Good source for music theory

sudhakar
sudhakar
10/28/2001 4:54 am
I am very much new to guitar. I have browsed countless shelves in book stores looking for a suitable book on music theory.

I really want to put my hands on a book about music theory. The book which talks about chords, shapes and more.

The reason I want to first drill myself in music theory is I just do not want to hack in to music, learning a few basic and catchy tips becuase when I try to learn any tricks listed on site, I feel woefully short in my understanding of jargon or the theory. Even I get a hang on something I get stuck on that thing for a long time. Sometimes learning a new thing will be very difficult becuase of less understanding.

Even a simple fact like frets on single string are separated by a half step gives me more confidence that I am understanding the theory before I put them in to parctise. Basically I do not have to memorize the song, tab for a piece of music.

I understand chords can be played anywhere on the fret board, if we know the shape. I just want to get to know all such atleast minimum basic theory, and the concepts ( pentatonic etc.).

Please let me know If I am pusuing guitar in the right direction, if so also please suggest me resources or a book which a good coverage on music theory.

Eagerly waiting your help..
Sudhakar
# 1
Christoph
is Super Fabulous
Christoph
is Super Fabulous
11/02/2001 9:13 pm

You're definitely headed in the right direction. Just the fact that you're interested in music theory shows that you are. Most guitarists these days couldn't care less and just start banging away on one-finger drop-D power chords.

If you're looking for a book on music theory, I'd recommend Scales and Modes: In the Beginning by Ron Middlebrook. It explains all the terminology of scales, intervals, and etc from a guitarist's point of view. It goes from the basic to the advanced, so it should get you started.

One other thing you might want to do is seek out a knowledgeable teacher. (like Skee1, hahaha!)

If you have any specific questions about theory, we're here.
# 2
skee1
High Bandwidth
skee1
High Bandwidth
11/02/2001 9:38 pm
Christoph
Nope i read your answer and your the man!
Once in awhile i would like a free token?
for entering music theory because i/m a senior!

Mark
yours truly Mark Toman
# 3
emu
emu
11/05/2001 9:21 am
i have been playing for around 3 years now and have picked up the basics of guitar music theory but my theory is still short. I soon will be playing lead in a soft'ish' rock band (I love playing metallica) and was thinking if the scales and modes book would be of help to me? I have been trying to find a good book for ages and it does sound good.

I have just joind this sites forum and thik that it is great theat there is a forum with out all the piss taking and name calling good job to one and all
# 4
Christoph
is Super Fabulous
Christoph
is Super Fabulous
11/05/2001 6:12 pm

If you're gunna be playing Metallica, you'll definitely want to learn the lydian mode, minor pentatonics, and some phrygian stuff.

That's all in that book, but it's pretty comprehensive and might be more than you need. You might want to just go down to your local music store and pick up a plain old book of scales.
# 5
Lefty Schrage
Lefty Schrage
12/05/2001 4:01 pm
A quality source that I found to be very 'user friendly' covering chord/scale relationships, application of theory to improvisation, etc. is Marc Sabatella's "A Whole Approach to Jazz Improvisation and the website is (http://www.outsideshore.com/primer/primer/index.html). Another source that has helped me alot are publications by Jamey Aebershold (www.jazzbooks.com). Hope you find these helpful...I know these gave me a much better perspective on theory and modal improvisation and in language I could understand. ...Lefty
# 6

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.