tapping to picking.

EPISODER
EPISODER
10/01/2007 2:49 pm
I have a hard time going from tapping to picking.

Any exersizes to help?

I do hold the pick in my hand while tapping though

THX :D
[FONT=Fixedsys]A tout le monde, A tout mes amis, Je vous aime, Je dois partir. These are the last words I'll ever speak, and they'll set me free![/FONT] ;)
# 1
light487
Forum Administrator
light487
Forum Administrator
10/01/2007 3:07 pm
I find there are a couple of tricks you can use to go from one to the other.. probably the most fluid and effective method is to develop your trilling skills, depending on how fast you are tapping.. The reason I find this so effective, is that I can be tapping somewhere and then just keep trilling with my left hand while I readjust my picking hand.

Another way I do it, though it really depends on the key and style etc, is to play either some open strings or some harmonics. This would work even better if you have a whammy/tremolo bar on your guitar... you can usually get your left hand close enough to the appropriate natural harmonic part of your fretboard.. then it's a simple matter of holding your preferred finger over the strings you want to play the harmonics on. Let it ring out, and if you have a whammy bar.. give it a bit of a fiddle.

Another method is to do some sort of slide.. whether it be a pick slide or a right handed fret slide, or even if you just do some cool slide thing.. Anyway.. it's one of those quick and easy moves you can do and not have to worry about being too accurate..

I think really that is the key.. anything you can do that does not require a huge amount of accuracy can help you change between pieces of music.. hehe.. Once you get used to playing these little transition things you will probably find better ways to do it..
light487
Guitar Tricks Moderator

GuitarTricks
Daily Light Blog
# 2
Kevin Taylor
Guitar Tricks Instructor
Kevin Taylor
Guitar Tricks Instructor
10/01/2007 4:15 pm
My method is to just toss the pick away when I start tapping and then grab a new one off the mic stand (held in place with duct tape or whatever).
Picks are only worth about 25 cents so it's not like a huge expense to just toss em away. ...plus it's fun to aim them at people in the audience :)
# 3

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.