How much your state of...

damaged
damaged
09/04/2007 4:17 pm
Hey everyone.

*deleted the story as it seemed useless*

So basically this thread is asking you
1. Do you believe thinking a certain way can limit you
2. If so how much do you think thinking that certain way limits your ability; not just as a guitarist but everything in general.

Thank you.
"Make money your god and it will plague you like the devil."
# 1
Lordathestrings
Gear Guru
Lordathestrings
Gear Guru
09/05/2007 3:26 am
Try this on for size:

Playing an instrument is a way of communicationg your feelings. Guitar is very good for this. Subtleties like pick attack, touch, and stroke have noticeable effects on your tone.

So if you feel that 190 bpm is impossible, that will show up in your playing, yes?
Lordathestrings
Guitar Tricks Moderator

www.GuitarTricks.com - Home of Online Guitar Lessons
# 2
damaged
damaged
09/05/2007 6:05 am
That doesn't answer the question.

Also why did you assume that because I practice chromatics at a "high" speed thats all I do; I see it as more as being another tool in the shed, it needed for certain things. Metal being one of my favorite genres it is almost mandatory to play at high speeds to be in a band. Blues being another favorite genre of mine I am aware speed is rarely the best way to express emotions and musical ideas.
# 3
Lordathestrings
Gear Guru
Lordathestrings
Gear Guru
09/05/2007 7:59 am
Originally Posted by: damagedThat doesn't answer the question.[/QUOTE]
It answers both of them.

[QUOTE=damaged]Also why did you assume that because I practice chromatics at a "high" speed thats all I do.

I never said that. What were you reading?
Lordathestrings
Guitar Tricks Moderator

www.GuitarTricks.com - Home of Online Guitar Lessons
# 4
damaged
damaged
09/05/2007 11:15 am
Ok I see you answered them.

"Try this on for size:

Playing an instrument is a way of communicationg your feelings. Guitar is very good for this. Subtleties like pick attack, touch, and stroke have noticeable effects on your tone."

Seemed like you where intending something along the lines of me not caring for any of these.

Sorry I must of taken it the wrong way.
# 5
ren
ren
09/05/2007 2:29 pm
Having not had the benefit of reading the original post in full, I can only say that the way you think is the biggest limitation you can inflict on yourself. And it can be total....

It's a cliche, but whether you think you can't do it, or you think you can... you're right...

Check out my music, video, lessons & backing tracks here![br]https://www.renhimself.com

# 6
jamesplaysgitar
jamesplaysgitar
09/07/2007 6:36 pm
thoughts pretty much control everything that happens to you.

"all that we are is a result of what we have thought" ~budda
# 7
dvenetian
dvenetian
09/07/2007 10:37 pm
Originally Posted by: renHaving not had the benefit of reading the original post in full, I can only say that the way you think is the biggest limitation you can inflict on yourself. And it can be total....

It's a cliche, but whether you think you can't do it, or you think you can... you're right...

So true..............
The thing that is fascinating to me, is that so many tend to focus more on what they are Passionate about and become more critical with themselves (Maybe it's because they want it so bad compared to the desciplined time it takes to achieve and they want right this instant. It's a fact that the world has speeded up in so many ways, flaunting instant gratification in many different factors).
I'm glad that I started playing guitar long before being able to push a button and seeing an instant video of some shredder sweeping arpeggios faster than whatever. By paying my due diligence, I can appreciate the talent instantly before me, but tripping down the long road allowed me to develop a style suited to my taste. Let the blurry dogs have what worked for, I personally grew an ear that likes to hear what certain notes can offer while being emphasized.
The point is that todays' fast paced instant gratification cripples the opportunity of having to deal with one of the most important virtues that only come through having no choice but to experience and live with it.
And that's Patience. It's hard nowadays having to endure it when another option can remedy so many things we used to have to wait for.
I can just imagine the patience being endured 100 years ago. "We can't eat until the corn finishes growing and the General Store is a two day ride into town". "Need to go down to the Creek and wash some clothes"..
Todays' society would die if they had to endure at that pace".
I believe that many people acclimate to certain thought patterns based on their demographics, while others don't. Would a Luxury Hotel Developer be crazy enough to Build a huge Resort in the middle of a barren Desert??????
If so, what would make him think that all of these people would be willing to go out in the middle of nowhere with the temperature at 110 degrees and pay to stay at his resort?????????
Welcome to Las Vegas............... Hosted Approx 38 million visitors from around the World in 2006, right out in the middle of the Desert....
Hard to imagine, but the facts are known worldwide........and It's a Desert.....
# 8

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.