Amp trouble...

The Allmighty Zach
The Allmighty Zach
08/21/2007 10:04 pm
I have a B-52 AT-100 tube head and for a while now its been making this wierd sound, almost like a static, sometimes it does it for just a few seconds, and other times it will go for about a minuet. Sometimes after it makes the sound, it alters the tone of the gain channel, it sounds like all the mids are completely gone. I got all new cables(good ones monster and planet waves) and it hasnt helped the problem. Maybe I need to replace the tubes? Ive owned it for about two years and it has the same tubes as when I bought it. Any help on how to fix this problem would be greatly appreciated as I love the tone of this amp and don't want to(and cant afford) to buy a new one at the moment.
# 1
FL6
FL6
08/22/2007 4:55 pm
The best thing really is to take it to an amp tech and have him check it out.
At least you'll know it's done right, and for a few bucks it will save you alot of time.
# 2
Weslaba
My Baby's a Fender!
Weslaba
My Baby's a Fender!
08/25/2007 3:42 am
It really depends on how well you take care of your amp, to justify tube life, but I've been advised that 6 months of playing just about everyday at average levels would dirty up the tubes a bit and possibly bring about a need for new ones. I wouldn't put your money on the tubes being the problem yet though. I would also say take it to a shop. Get it done, bam... few bucks later, working amp, and no worries about its problems, only yours. Your guitar skills that is. Its no fun when the gear won't hold up. :(
"Gypsy flies from coast to coast, knowing many loving none." -Allmans

SoundClick Page

Myspace Page (Add Me) (I'm better than you... Or am I :eek: )
# 3
wizardofstrings
wizardofstrings
08/27/2007 2:59 pm
I would check to make sure you have an unshielded cable running from your head to your cabinet first.
# 4
Grambo
halfway to somewhere
Grambo
halfway to somewhere
09/14/2007 10:51 pm
I don't think Tubes are that expensive - change them !!
if you always take the lazy route
The Devil knows your every move ![COLOR=RoyalBlue]
# 5
Weslaba
My Baby's a Fender!
Weslaba
My Baby's a Fender!
09/15/2007 12:12 am
I'm reaching the 1 year mark on my amp. Might need changing considering the amp distorts like an overdrive pedal while on the clean channel, when at about 5-6. :rolleyes:
"Gypsy flies from coast to coast, knowing many loving none." -Allmans

SoundClick Page

Myspace Page (Add Me) (I'm better than you... Or am I :eek: )
# 6
toddms41
toddms41
10/09/2007 5:35 pm
I also have an at-100 and I notice that I get alot of hum and buzz. I'm not sure if it's from my furnace(the amp in near the furnace in the basement) or other electrical interference. I have read that it's usually the tubes. Some say it's the pre-amp tubes and some say it's the rectifier tube. I have a power codtioner and a noise gate, but I still get a low hum. I think my plug is grounded, so I don't think it's that. I'll have to take my amp to a different part of the house to test that. I'll think I'll start swaping in new tubes as my first trouble shooting step. Oh and bypassing the pre-amp via the effects loop return eliminated a lot of the hum. I'll let you know.
# 7

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.