squealing pickups

the fool
the fool
07/18/2007 3:17 pm
for some odd reason my 57' classics started squealing a couple of weeks ago. it didn't squeal before. any ideas or suggestions how i can eliminate the squealing out?
"Lets see… well I play the guitar and when I'm not playing the guitar, I think about playing the guitar. My other favorite instrument, is the guitar and if I aspired to play any other instrument, it would be the guitar...

I can’t sing so I sing through my guitar. So when the sound guy says: “Your guitar is too loud!” I think: "Why does he never say that to the vocalist?"
# 1
BluesForPeace
BluesForPeace
07/19/2007 9:52 am
I think on those 57s after a while or sometimes when you get em new, the copper on the inner coils can oxidize or fray. I take it you probably live in a humid place and play the crap out of that thing!
Sail, Sail, Sail away o one that does not play; for the world is musical and should always be that way.
# 2
the fool
the fool
07/19/2007 3:19 pm
I love the classic 57's. Ever since I had it installed in 2003 on my axe, I've been a faithful convert ever since. Below is a pic of my guitar with the classic 57's on.

I'm just a bit disappointed that after almost 4 years of having it in my guitar, it just started squealing a couple of weeks ago. I thought pu's were supposed to last a life time and I do take good care of my guitars.

I was thinking about what you've said. I'm from TO- the humidity from the past few months have been terrible. But I'm not sure if it should have any effect on my axe because I always put it in the case after using it and I always keep this thing in my room where I have a humidifier.

I thought it was because it was a 57' reissue so I thought like the old PAFs that used alnico II magnets, they weren't wax potted- but I asked the store I bought it and the guy said that the 57's were supposed to be wax potted on the factory.

I then decided to check if the squealing has something to do with the pickup. It's securely attached in the guitar so it can't be the cause of the hum.

My only other conclusion is that maybe it's just the way things go. After all, most musicians I know say that any kind of pickups will eventually squeal with time. Do you know if wax potting should fix it?
"Lets see… well I play the guitar and when I'm not playing the guitar, I think about playing the guitar. My other favorite instrument, is the guitar and if I aspired to play any other instrument, it would be the guitar...

I can’t sing so I sing through my guitar. So when the sound guy says: “Your guitar is too loud!” I think: "Why does he never say that to the vocalist?"
# 3
DAMAGED ONE
DAMAGED ONE
07/19/2007 7:17 pm
Originally Posted by: the foolfor some odd reason my 57' classics started squealing a couple of weeks ago. it didn't squeal before. any ideas or suggestions how i can eliminate the squealing out?
Strange to say the least. All the same Id check the wiring for a short.
The Mind Is A Terrible Think To Waste.
# 4
the fool
the fool
07/19/2007 7:20 pm
what do u mean by a "short"?

# 5
DAMAGED ONE
DAMAGED ONE
07/19/2007 8:27 pm
Well some times volume or tone pots go bad or the guitar jack wires may have frayed or maybe even a grounding problem, I would take it to a music repair shop and plug it in and talk to them and show them let them hear what its doing. :confused:
# 6
Gargy
Gargy
07/19/2007 9:18 pm
Sometimes pickups can squeal because they take a sharp hit and one of the wire coils around the magnet gets messed up. Normally they're set in wax so they don't shift around but only God knows what can happen to a pickup for any reason.
# 7
BluesForPeace
BluesForPeace
07/19/2007 11:07 pm
I have found that whenever I really had a question about something about my guitar, I just took it in to a local guitar shop. since I cant really see it close to inspect it, just give it to a qualified guy at a store somewhere and slip $10 under the counter. Usually that does the trick. Also, dont let em slip you one of those package deals that you dont need. Guitar shop employees are very good at selling you stuff you dont need, they are like used car salesmen sometimes.
Sail, Sail, Sail away o one that does not play; for the world is musical and should always be that way.
# 8
BluesForPeace
BluesForPeace
07/26/2007 7:14 am
In fact, I just did it today...
# 9
DAMAGED ONE
DAMAGED ONE
08/07/2007 4:02 pm
Well did you get it fixed? if so what was it?
# 10
the fool
the fool
08/07/2007 4:48 pm
i don't know yet. guitar tech called me last thursday and told me he should get it done by today. i'm supposed to pick it up right now- left him a message. i'm still waiting for his call. i'll let u guys know the moment i got it back. for the mean time, thnx a lot to everyone who helped me out in this thread. hopefully the potting works. if it doesn't i'll let u guys know.

# 11
the fool
the fool
08/09/2007 7:36 pm
just got the guitar today. for some reason the potting greatly reduced the microphonic feedback. Its actually very quiet clean but there is still a bit of that 60 cycle hum when you put the gain in 10. its really weird because i only experienced this on single coils- not humbuckers. anyone got any clue how i can fix this? thnx guys.

# 12

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.