WARNING!

MighTEEbean17
MighTEEbean17
10/06/2001 7:48 pm
Not that its really a warning or anything, and I know this is my first post and all, but to those of you who actually post your riffs, (not tricks and little pieces of popular songs that you figured out), not a very smart idea at all, especially if you have plans for using them for more than just your own playing pleasure. Anyway, just thought that maybe some of you needed the heads-up. Thanks.
# 1
Bardsley
Bardsley
10/07/2001 8:49 am
Why? There is no law against using othe rpeople's licks, so it's not as if there are likely to be copyright issues. Also, the likelyhood of a) two people from this site being close enough to one another that people are going to hear the same licks from others or b)that both bands will become famous enough that everyone will hear them is so unlikely that i't's not really worth thinking about. Anyway, as useful as riffs can be, they're never going to be thee whole song (if it's good) and no two guitarists are ever going to interpret the tab the same wayy. I think the pros (helping others to learn new ideas) far outweigh the cons.
"Dozens of people spontaneously combust each year, it's just not that widely reported".
# 2
Christoph
is Super Fabulous
Christoph
is Super Fabulous
10/07/2001 7:46 pm

I'm with Bardsley here. Those were some good points.

And there's always the whole ethics issue. I think most guitarsists would think twice about stealing someone's lick note for note and putting it in their own song. In the off chance that one of us do become famous, are you going to say that you got all your licks and ideas off a web site?

# 3
Hootayah
Hootayah
10/07/2001 8:22 pm
Actually, I woulda thought that posting your riffs was one way to ensure that they *don't* get ripped off. What better way to ensure worldwide copyright than to post your stuff in public with the date attached to it.
Hey you kids! Get outta that Jello tree!! :mad:
# 4
MighTEEbean17
MighTEEbean17
10/07/2001 11:37 pm
Originally posted by Bardsley
Why? There is no law against using othe rpeople's licks, so it's not as if there are likely to be copyright issues. Also, the likelyhood of a) two people from this site being close enough to one another that people are going to hear the same licks from others or b)that both bands will become famous enough that everyone will hear them is so unlikely that i't's not really worth thinking about. Anyway, as useful as riffs can be, they're never going to be thee whole song (if it's good) and no two guitarists are ever going to interpret the tab the same wayy. I think the pros (helping others to learn new ideas) far outweigh the cons.

First, I'd like to congradulate you on your awesome job of spelling and mastery of english grammar skills. Anyway, that's exactly my point yet somehow you complete missed it. All I was trying to say was that if you care about a piece of your own writing that much and think that it has potential, then why would you post it online giving thousands of people the opportunity to capitalize it? Maybe the odds of someone taking it and turning into a Top 40 Hit are minimal, but say it does happen, you wouldn't be able to say anything. That's all.
# 5
trendkillah
trendkillah
10/07/2001 11:58 pm
Nobody gets forced to post their stuff on this site, so, if they post it, it's actually their intention to be sharing it. That's the whole idea of this site, simple as that.
# 6

10/08/2001 12:55 am
MightTee bean obviously hasn't picked up on the whole element of the sharing of knowledge and wisdom that is inherent on this site. I think encouraging people not to post riffs for fear that they'll be ripped off is completely ridiculous.

But hey, if you'd rather lock all your riffs away in a vault in your head; be my guest. I guess we'll just have to hear them when you make it big.
# 7
educatedfilm
educatedfilm
10/08/2001 9:03 am
MighTEEbean17: read Hootayah's reply... i think he's right...

# 8
chris mood
High Bandwidth
chris mood
High Bandwidth
10/08/2001 5:08 pm
Hey, why not copyright all your riffs, post them, then sue everybody who uses them for copyright infringement? You could be rich in no time....hmmm, I think I'm gonna cash in on this cow.
# 9
Jon Broderick
Administrator
Jon Broderick
Administrator
10/08/2001 7:26 pm
If you could copyright a riff, keith richards would be coming after all of us...
Jon Broderick
Guitar Tricks Instructor

www.GuitarTricks.com - Home of Online Guitar Lessons
# 10
Bardsley
Bardsley
10/09/2001 6:28 am
Ummm, not meaning to be rude or anything, but was that a sarcastic response about my grammar and spelling? It can be hard to gauge on a website, but it is unusual for someone to say something like that unless they are being sarcastic. And although I did make two odd spelling errors I see (It was late), I thought it was being reasonably clear. If you weren't being sarcastic, well, thanks I guess.
*Bardsley walks away slightly nonplussed*
"Dozens of people spontaneously combust each year, it's just not that widely reported".
# 11
jarviss
jarviss
10/09/2001 7:34 am
hehehe (2nd try) hehehehe
http://rain.prohosting.com/jarviss/html/audio.htm

i agree.
i'd be afraid that people would want to steal someones
riffs,,,but i also think that...by listening to someones
ideas could inspire you to think about some of your own
music in a different light...

p.s. i think that it would be cool for someone to turn
one of my riffs into the next mega hit for the next
big thing sellout band out there....
*gets dreamy look in eyes*
(Just one, tho, ok?)
:)
yo
# 12
i-vis
i-vis
10/09/2001 6:09 pm
http://www.mp3.com/ib

"Do it again - the way to progress."
# 13
hendrix_jimi
hendrix_jimi
10/09/2001 8:08 pm
Originally posted by Jon Broderick
If you could copyright a riff, keith richards would be coming after all of us...

Actually, i believe that you can copyright a riff. Anytime that you create something, there is an implied copyright attached to it. For example: back in the day, the rolling stones manager/producer (i forget which) would take their songs and rerelease them as orchestral arrangements. Fast forward to 1999 - a band called The Verve samples a 3-second portion of a Rolling Stones orchestral arrangement for the song "The Last Time" and loops it, and releases the hit single "Bittersweet Symphony". A few weeks later, Rolling Stones' former manager Allen Klein's lawyers are all over The Verve (he held the rights to that song). They sue for copyright infringement, and win. In the end, The Verve did not see a cent of the sales from the album "Urban Hymns", even though it was just the one song off the album that used a sample - all of it is forwarded to the Mr. Klein.

So, it does seem that it is possible to copyright licks, especially if they are important parts of the song.
excuse me, but i must kiss the sky
# 14
MighTEEbean17
MighTEEbean17
10/09/2001 11:47 pm
Try to do something nice.....Sorry. However, if your trying to share or teach other's some kind of concept, you don't need to post your own writing to do that. And to Bardsley, sorry.....I'm used to posting on the Rage Against the Machine BB.....Sarcasm is an essential tool to be used without prejudice there.
# 15
Christoph
is Super Fabulous
Christoph
is Super Fabulous
10/10/2001 2:04 am
Originally posted by James
But hey, if you'd rather lock all your riffs away in a vault in your head; be my guest. I guess we'll just have to hear them when you make it big.

Now that was some great sarcasm.
# 16
MighTEEbean17
MighTEEbean17
10/12/2001 10:57 pm
Originally posted by Christoph
Originally posted by James

Now that was some great sarcasm.

*Takes a deep breath, grits teeth, and says with pain in voice* I.....won't.....comment.....
# 17

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.