What I need to work on

GuitarJunkie23
Access: Full
GuitarJunkie23
04/14/2007 11:54 pm
As someone just starting out, what should I try to work on, like chords, scales, theory.. I'm not really sure what all of it is, like Theory, but i'd just like some help with it all, if any of you could.
[FONT=tahoma]Jimmie Page is my Hero.[/FONT]
[FONT=Tahoma]"Women who seek to be equal with men lack ambition." Timothy Leary[/FONT]
# 1
Fret spider
Fret spider
04/15/2007 12:09 am
good place to start is check out the tutorials

they are pretty good.

if u can stomache it do drills every day to work on technique. and spend then learn a few basic chords.

tell me what do you know. waht music u interested in etc.

wat ur askin is a bit broad :D
# 2
grizzlymint
grizzlymint
04/15/2007 12:12 am
I'd say definitely start with some basic chords. Practice them and once you can switch fluently between them, them move onto other stuff. For example learn the C, D, G, A, and F chords.
Let your soul shine. Its better than sunshine. Its better than moonshine. Damn sure better than rain.
# 3
GuitarJunkie23
GuitarJunkie23
04/15/2007 12:28 am
I know two chords lol.. E and Am I think are what they are, i can switch through those two really well now.

I like pretty much all types of music, but i want to play stuff like classic rock, like zeppelin, but also stuff like Sublime maybe.. or trip hop, if you know what that is :p

Oh, and thanks for the tips.
[FONT=Tahoma]"Women who seek to be equal with men lack ambition." Timothy Leary[/FONT]
# 4

04/15/2007 12:36 am
Hello guitarjunkie, I'd suggest starting with our absolute beginners guide

http://www.guitartricks.com/guide.php

Then like the others said you could check out the technique section for some tutorials on specific techniques.

But if you're just starting out, the guide should help you start out in the right direction.

Welcome the guitartricks :)
# 5
Eyepooted
Eyepooted
04/15/2007 11:52 am
Chords, like CAGED, knowing these will help you understand scales later. Then spend about 15 min a practice just working on scales. Learn the A minor pentatonic scale pattern, which will be useful later on when you're really starting to learn. Keep Playing :D
# 6
GuitarJunkie23
GuitarJunkie23
04/15/2007 9:11 pm
Okay, I've got another question, i'll just post here instead of wasting space making another thread.

Am (minor) A (major)
E |--0----------------------------|--0-------------------------------|
B |--1----------------------------|--2-------------------------------|
G |--2----------------------------|--2-------------------------------|
D |--2----------------------------|--2-------------------------------|
A |--0----------------------------|--0-------------------------------|
E |-------------------------------|----------------------------------|

Trying out chords, like you guys said.. I have big hands with long fingers, I can't do that A major, I can't fit my three fingers on the 2nd fret their too wide.. Should I just go without the chord, or any chord like this? There has to be something I can do for this.. This sounds like a dumb question, but I'm just not sure what to do about it... And if i'm being to dense, I mean I can't fit my pinky onto the 2nd fret, along with my middle and ring fingers.
# 7
txladykat
txladykat
04/24/2007 4:11 pm
Originally Posted by: GuitarJunkie23Okay, I've got another question, i'll just post here instead of wasting space making another thread.

Am (minor) A (major)
E |--0----------------------------|--0-------------------------------|
B |--1----------------------------|--2-------------------------------|
G |--2----------------------------|--2-------------------------------|
D |--2----------------------------|--2-------------------------------|
A |--0----------------------------|--0-------------------------------|
E |-------------------------------|----------------------------------|

Trying out chords, like you guys said.. I have big hands with long fingers, I can't do that A major, I can't fit my three fingers on the 2nd fret their too wide.. Should I just go without the chord, or any chord like this? There has to be something I can do for this.. This sounds like a dumb question, but I'm just not sure what to do about it... And if i'm being to dense, I mean I can't fit my pinky onto the 2nd fret, along with my middle and ring fingers.

A Maj is a hard one trying to squeeze em all in. some people will often barre that chord and just not play the E string. If you are not familiar with a barre, you are using your index finger to hold down the ADGBE strings then strum all but the E strings.
# 8
ren
ren
04/25/2007 10:22 am
Are you holding the strinigs down with the very tips of your fingers?

I've got big shovel hands and I can get them in a line for an open 'A'....

If not, as suggested you can barre all three strings with 1 finger, or look into full barre if you fancy a challenge:

A Major

E |--5--
B |--5--
G |--6--
D |--7--
A |--7--
E |--5--

Use your index finger to hold down all the strings at the 5th fret, then use the others to hit the extra notes. You will probably find this harder, but if you've got big hands and the right kind of strength, it might be worth a whirl. It's what you'll be aiming at after the open chords anyway...

Check out my music, video, lessons & backing tracks here![br]https://www.renhimself.com

# 9
GuitarJunkie23
GuitarJunkie23
04/27/2007 5:53 pm
Originally Posted by: renAre you holding the strinigs down with the very tips of your fingers?

I've got big shovel hands and I can get them in a line for an open 'A'....

If not, as suggested you can barre all three strings with 1 finger, or look into full barre if you fancy a challenge:

A Major

E |--5--
B |--5--
G |--6--
D |--7--
A |--7--
E |--5--

Use your index finger to hold down all the strings at the 5th fret, then use the others to hit the extra notes. You will probably find this harder, but if you've got big hands and the right kind of strength, it might be worth a whirl. It's what you'll be aiming at after the open chords anyway...

I wasn't using the tip of my 3rd finger, I find it alot easier now that I do. Thanks everyone who helped.
# 10
Burtbobain
Burtbobain
06/20/2007 8:02 pm
Wow, i was wanting to post the same thing, this helps me a lot. Now i finally may be able to play find the river
# 11
txladykat
txladykat
06/20/2007 8:40 pm
there are several ways to play open A.

The barred method above is one.

The other two are utilizing three fingers:

E open
B ring finger
G index finger
D middle finger

E open
B pinky
G ring
D middle

E open
B ring
G middle
D index

Try em all and see what works for you. I use all but the last one, depending on what chord I am coming from and going to.
# 12
JKilla
JKilla
06/30/2007 1:54 am
Hi,
You could always barre the A chord. That is where you hold down all three notes on the second fret with just your index finger. Make sure not to mute the high E string in the process. It takes a while to get the hang of at first, but this works fine.
# 13

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.