Screechy active bass problem

pogohead
pogohead
03/05/2007 11:26 pm
Hi again

My wife has a BC Rich Warlock bass with active pickups. The jack socket fell in (nut came off and went missing) so I took it out as normal and went to put another nut on it. It turns out the thread on the jack is slightly larger than every jack I've ever had on any guitar so I've got no nut to fit it. Since I couldn't replace that I decided to replace the jack socket itself with a standard one (as opposed to the chunky plastic black one that was originally in place). However, the bass now doesn't have a proper sound when coming through an amp and if you turn it up too far it makes a high pitched whine. Is the chunky black jack socket there for a reason and I've messed up? If so, why is the thread thicker than all others I've ever had?

Please help! If I don't fix it I'm gonna have to sleep on the couch :(
# 1
ericthecableguy
ericthecableguy
03/06/2007 2:33 am
Take it to a music store. My friends active bass jack got screwed. If im not mistaken, it took a special kind of jack to fix it. I could be wrong but i remember something along those lines.

Good luck bud.
For life is quite absurd and death's the final word, You must always face the curtain with a bow
Forget about your sin - give the audience a grin
Enjoy it - it's your last chance anyhow.

METOOB
# 2
DAMAGED ONE
DAMAGED ONE
03/12/2007 6:10 pm
I think you have some wires hooked up wrong or touching each other thats all.
The Mind Is A Terrible Think To Waste.
# 3
aschleman
aschleman
03/12/2007 6:55 pm
Originally Posted by: pogoheadHi again

My wife has a BC Rich Warlock bass with active pickups. The jack socket fell in (nut came off and went missing) so I took it out as normal and went to put another nut on it. It turns out the thread on the jack is slightly larger than every jack I've ever had on any guitar so I've got no nut to fit it. Since I couldn't replace that I decided to replace the jack socket itself with a standard one (as opposed to the chunky plastic black one that was originally in place). However, the bass now doesn't have a proper sound when coming through an amp and if you turn it up too far it makes a high pitched whine. Is the chunky black jack socket there for a reason and I've messed up? If so, why is the thread thicker than all others I've ever had?

Please help! If I don't fix it I'm gonna have to sleep on the couch :(

Chances are you replaced it with a mono jack.... Which is standard equipment for most guitars... However, with active pickups you need to use a stereo jack.

I'm pretty confident that this is the mistake you've made... You can purchase a stereo jack through stew-mac.com

http://www.stewmac.com/shop/Electronics,_pickups/Components:_Jacks/Switchcraft_Output_Jacks.html
# 4
DAMAGED ONE
DAMAGED ONE
03/12/2007 8:00 pm
This link may help you too.

www.emginc.com/downloads/wiringdiagrams/Humbuckers_active.pdf
The Mind Is A Terrible Think To Waste.
# 5
pogohead
pogohead
03/13/2007 7:53 pm
Thanks guys, that actually makes a lot more sense. I'll let you know when I have knowledge ;)
# 6
Grambo
halfway to somewhere
Grambo
halfway to somewhere
03/14/2007 9:39 pm
I know from experience that Mono jack plugs will play up when plugged into Stereo jack sockets - sometimes they won't work at all or they will work intermittently.
I also tried a mono mini jack into a stereo Mic input ( On a PC ) and that wouldn't work either - I think the mono plug has a shorter reach than a stereo plug.
if you always take the lazy route
The Devil knows your every move ![COLOR=RoyalBlue]
# 7

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.