Anyone Hear the New GNR?

dvenetian
dvenetian
02/23/2007 9:52 am
The New GNR release has leaked onto the Airwaves. Heard the song "Better" played on the "World Famous KROQ" yesterday. Looks like Ron Thal of Bumblefoot is becoming a regular, replacing Buckethead.
Anyone heard it?
# 1
ren
ren
02/23/2007 1:41 pm
Originally Posted by: AkiraIt's not GnR...

No, it's not - I like Ron Thal though, so I'd be interested to hear some of his work... I'll keep my ears open...

Check out my music, video, lessons & backing tracks here![br]https://www.renhimself.com

# 2
grizzlymint
grizzlymint
02/23/2007 4:01 pm
Yep. "GNR" is no longer GNR. Just like Velvet Revolver is nothing like GNR. Of the couple new songs they have released, I haven't been impressed with any of them, nor do I wanna hear the long anticipated Chinese Democracy.
Let your soul shine. Its better than sunshine. Its better than moonshine. Damn sure better than rain.
# 3
aschleman
aschleman
02/23/2007 4:33 pm
Axl WAS one of the greatest frontmen of alltime... that was when he was standing infront of or beside Slash, Duff, and Izzy......

GnR is dead to me. haha

In other 90's band news.... Blind Melon has reformed with a new vocalist and have been cutting tracks for a new album... Replacing a voice like Shannon Hoon (like Axl, is also from Lafayette :D ) would be tough though. A friend of mine is doing an internship through the Musicians Institute at the studio that they've been cutting tracks and he said they sound really really really good... Which is awesome. I need something new on the rock scene that throws back to better days and halts this dumb emo/pop trend.
# 4
Scotttaylor72
Scotttaylor72
02/23/2007 5:18 pm
Originally Posted by: dvenetianThe New GNR release has leaked onto the Airwaves.

Nothing gets "leaked" on commercial (or pay) radio. Just marketing tactics to get the buzz started. Real rock doesn't need buzz before hand. Real rock stands the test of time on its own rockin merit. heh heh...

/dismount high horse.
# 5
dvenetian
dvenetian
02/24/2007 6:40 am
Originally Posted by: Scotttaylor72Nothing gets "leaked" on commercial (or pay) radio. Just marketing tactics to get the buzz started. Real rock doesn't need buzz before hand. Real rock stands the test of time on its own rockin merit. heh heh...
/dismount high horse.

I'm sure that it is Hype, But GNR's Legal team really put a fast stop to the few internet sites who first supplied it. One day it's there, the next day it's gone!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
# 6
dvenetian
dvenetian
02/24/2007 6:50 am
Originally Posted by: AkiraIt's not GnR, it's Mr. Rose holding onto a long lost dream.

But no I haven't heard that song.

No, It's not GnR. It's Mr. Rose singing some songs with another band..
Funny, they call themselves "The New GNR" like it's been improved or something.
# 7
clewnii
clewnii
02/24/2007 11:54 am
Originally Posted by: AkiraIt's not GnR, it's Mr. Rose holding onto a long lost dream.

But no I haven't heard that song.

I saw them live last summer and the magic is still there no matter what (If you ask me). The only problem is that Axl allows EVERYONE to do their own little 5min solo. That basicly means a 6-7 min break between every song. Now I love guitar wanking so no problem there, but all my friends and everyone around us got PISSED whenever someone started their solo-thing. Then when it was time for another song everyong was all EXITED again ;P

To tell the truth. As long as Axl dont blow his voice, I couldnt care less what he calls his band. Its not really GnR, I agree, but a long lost dream? No way, he still kicks ass and the new songs rock live. Im still a big fan of the old gnr members aswell, but that chapters over so.
# 8
grizzlymint
grizzlymint
02/24/2007 12:02 pm
Originally Posted by: clewniiI saw them live last summer and the magic is still there no matter what (If you ask me). The only problem is that Axl allows EVERYONE to do their own little 5min solo. That basicly means a 6-7 min break between every song. Now I love guitar wanking so no problem there, but all my friends and everyone around us got PISSED whenever someone started their solo-thing. Then when it was time for another song everyong was all EXITED again ;P

To tell the truth. As long as Axl dont blow his voice, I couldnt care less what he calls his band. Its not really GnR, I agree, but a long lost dream? No way, he still kicks ass and the new songs rock live. Im still a big fan of the old gnr members aswell, but that chapters over so.

Slash, Duff, and Axl. That was GNR. The absolute perfect fusion between them can't, won't, and hasn't been matched.
Let your soul shine. Its better than sunshine. Its better than moonshine. Damn sure better than rain.
# 9
R. Shackleferd
Gulf Coaster
R. Shackleferd
Gulf Coaster
02/24/2007 5:38 pm
Actually I just heard it yesterday morning, "Better" that is...but better it isn't. It has quite a bit of synth and Axl's vocals were a little harsh and even off key at times. Sure, you can tell the guitar player is really good, but it didn't salvage the song for me.
Supposedly the story is this song was released to use with a Harley-Davidson commercial, which subsequently fell through. The DJ said they had played it earlier in the morning but they would play it again for those who missed it (myself) as long as the record company didn't notify them to cease...which apparently would've been likely had it not been on the west coast, thus still really early there. Like any song, they must be notified when songs are played, for royalties and whatnot. And "Chinese Democracy" was last scheduled for release in March I think, but that's been postponed indefinitely as well.
[FONT=Palatino Linotype]"Bust a nut!" - Dimebag
"Imagination is more important than knowledge." - Einstein
[/FONT]
# 10
grizzlymint
grizzlymint
02/24/2007 5:38 pm
Originally Posted by: Akira+1

Axl's voice sounds like **** now anyway.

Exactly. Gotta give him mad respect for what he used to be able to do, but those days appear to be over....Man I do miss them though.
# 11

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.