Serious accusation

dvenetian
dvenetian
01/23/2007 4:54 pm
Originally Posted by: aschlemanThose guitars ARE killer. I played one at Sam Ash in Indianapolis... the finish is pretty cool. Too flashy for me though.... They're not really his signature guitar per-se. He just endorses them. All the times I've seen him live I've seen him play his sparkle Strat, an Eric Clapton Strat, and a Gibson LP more than I've seen him play either the strat version or the tele version of the Gigliotti... They're still kick ass guitars though.

Rumor has it that he played 22 different guitars on the latest release. Although Les Paul has put a spell on me, I sure would like to get my hands on Jo Bo's 65 Strat!!!!!
# 1
aschleman
aschleman
01/23/2007 5:04 pm
Originally Posted by: dvenetianRumor has it that he played 22 different guitars on the latest release. Although Les Paul has put a spell on me, I sure would like to get my hands on Jo Bo's 65 Strat!!!!!

Well yeah... every guitarist plays a ton of different guitars on studio recordings... A lot of people with sig guitars don't even play their sig guitars once in the studio... It's all for show.

And yeah... I've seen a few pics of guitars that Bonamassa has and it's just insane... His 65 is my fav too!!!

I'm a big fan of John Mayers '62 as well though.
# 2
dvenetian
dvenetian
01/24/2007 4:18 pm
Too bad Clapton wore out "Blackie", even though he had it re-fretted it and worn those out too. Must have to play the hell out a Strat to wear it down to retirement. Oh well, he got close to a million bucks for it!!!!!!!!!!
# 3
aschleman
aschleman
01/24/2007 4:53 pm
Originally Posted by: dvenetianToo bad Clapton wore out "Blackie", even though he had it re-fretted it and worn those out too. Must have to play the hell out a Strat to wear it down to retirement. Oh well, he got close to a million bucks for it!!!!!!!!!!

Stevie Ray Vaughan wore his Number One down so much that when it was first made.... a standard '62 strat.... it was made with a 7 1/2 fretboard radius.... by the time of Stevie's untimely death it had been refretted, shaven, and played so much that fretboard radius was closer to a 9 1/2 inch radius... that's why the SRV sig Strats come with a 9" radius instead o fhte standard 7" that was offered on the '62... As for the neck profile... The '62 came with a soft V neck which was a meaty profile with a slight V to it... Stevie wore his down so much that it eventually rounded off the V from the first fret to about the 9th.... That's why the neck profile on his Sig strat is a C to soft V hybrid as well...

Clapton wore his blackies neck profile into a lobsided V neck... where the apex of the V was closer to the top of the neck profile... I think warmoth offers this as a neck profile option on their custom necks... I played one and they're pretty comfortable to play... a lot more comfortable than a standard V... which are probably the most uncomfortable necks to play ever.

Yeah, Blackie was pretty beaten.... I don't think it was so much that he wanted to retire it... I think all the proceeds from the auction wen to his charity foundation... He donates a lot of money to drug and alcohol rehabilitation facilities.
# 4
dvenetian
dvenetian
01/24/2007 9:40 pm
Interesting how some players prefer the V neck, like Clapton and Eric Johnson (must be longer fingers or something) while others like Robin Trower and Jeff beck prefer the C neck. Trower's signature series sounds great with that Tex-Mex single coil.
# 5
Lordathestrings
Gear Guru
Lordathestrings
Gear Guru
01/25/2007 7:05 am
[font=trebuchet ms]One of my favourite guitars is an old Washburn A20-CS hardtail with a V neck. I have small hands, but I'm not comfortable with skinny necks that bring my thumb so close to my fingers when I'm playing. I like a solid, substantial kinda neck. Something I can get rowdy on, and it won't get bent outta shape. But then, I like .011" & .012" string sets, too. No spider web strings on any of my guitars! YMMV.[/font]
Lordathestrings
Guitar Tricks Moderator

www.GuitarTricks.com - Home of Online Guitar Lessons
# 6
aschleman
aschleman
01/25/2007 7:31 pm
The vintage reissue strats with the soft-v necks are just about right for me. I've got big hands but also like to feel like I'm holding something rather than having a toothpick for a neck... I play thick strinsg as well.
# 7
R. Shackleferd
Gulf Coaster
R. Shackleferd
Gulf Coaster
01/26/2007 11:06 pm
Perhaps a band worthy of mention as far as southern blues/rock would be Widespread Panic.
I'm not real familiar with all their music, but I remember seeing them on an episode of Austin City Limits, and was especially impressed with the lead guitar guy.
[FONT=Palatino Linotype]"Bust a nut!" - Dimebag
"Imagination is more important than knowledge." - Einstein
[/FONT]
# 8
aschleman
aschleman
01/27/2007 4:06 am
Originally Posted by: R. ShackleferdPerhaps a band worthy of mention as far as southern blues/rock would be Widespread Panic.
I'm not real familiar with all their music, but I remember seeing them on an episode of Austin City Limits, and was especially impressed with the lead guitar guy.

Hell yeah man.

Also check South Mississippi All Stars!

If you're into jam bands also peep Umphrey's McGee and moe.
# 9

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.