Resolutions?

R. Shackleferd
Gulf Coaster
R. Shackleferd
Gulf Coaster
01/09/2007 4:57 am
So did ya'll make any, and if so sticking to 'em or broke already?
I'm usually not one to make New Year's resolutions, but this year I used the occasion to quit smoking cigarettes (again, but for good). I'd been meaning to, but couldn't pull myself together enough to go through with it. But so far my last cig was New Year's Eve. I chewed a few pieces of nicotine gum the 1st few days, and had a Black'n'Mild cigar, but then gave that up too. I just want to get it over with. Saturday was kinda rough, but Sunday wasn't too bad. But now today and especially right now it's bad again. I've been snacking a lot more. I think the general consensus is the worst part (chemical withdrawal-wise anyways) is within the 1st 3 days. Hopefully that's fairly true...it's difficult indeed, but I'm not going back. Nuh uh.
[FONT=Palatino Linotype]"Bust a nut!" - Dimebag
"Imagination is more important than knowledge." - Einstein
[/FONT]
# 1
PRSplaya
Full Access
PRSplaya
Full Access
01/09/2007 12:38 pm
I didn't bother with any resolutions, because I never stick to them anyway :rolleyes:. I've done the whole "stop smoking", "lose weight", etc... but never stuck to any of them. I have completely stopped smoking now though, and it feels great! I've been smoke free since June. I still have the occasional craving for a smoke every now and then, but they usually don't last very long. The trick that worked for me was to keep my mind occupied, and lots of sugar free suckers lol. Seriously, whenever I would have a craving, I would just get a sucker, and it would subside. It'll be hard at times, but it's not impossible. If I can do it, anybody can!
[FONT=Palatino Linotype]Tonja Renee's personal instructor[/FONT]

>HERE'S WHERE I AM NOW<
# 2
ren
ren
01/09/2007 3:33 pm
It does get easier after the two weeks rustee... What I did was each time I wanted to smoke, I'd say to myself 'you can have a smoke later, just wait a bit'... and then keep doing it so you never actually do.

I found that if I told myself I could not smoke, there was nothing I wanted to do more in the world! Going for the 'smoke later' approach worked for me.... it's all mind games though - the associations (talking on 'phone smoking / drinking coffee abd smoking etc) were the hardest thing to break for me....

Seriously though man, when you've done 2 weeks it gets easier....

And in answer to the original question - no resolutions.... I never do... :D

Check out my music, video, lessons & backing tracks here![br]https://www.renhimself.com

# 3
elklandercc
Full Access
elklandercc
Full Access
01/09/2007 4:09 pm
I think it was Schmange who told us a story about him quiting smoking in one night cause he woke up coughing.

But anywhoo, I don't bother with resolutions either. It was never a New Year's thing, but I always want to get in around 2 hours a day with the guitar, and I've been pretty much sticking with that for a year or so. Every now and then I might not be able to play one day or for only under an hour, but usually the next day I play a lot cleaner and better so I geuss thats a good thing.
"During this line, the kid acted like he was pushing buttons on a calculator in the air. The kid played ******* air-calculator!"

Myspace
# 4
acapella
acapella
01/09/2007 4:59 pm
I gave up on New Year's resolutions, because I just forget about them anyway.

This year I decided I wanted to have good abs by March, but I used an alternative method to ensure my continued motivation. Not really appropriate for the forum though. :)
You go outside and practice screaming. We'll play music while you're gone.
# 5
Scotttaylor72
Scotttaylor72
01/09/2007 5:53 pm
This year, I decided that I really needed to drop 20lbs. I've been slowly creeping higher and higher on the scale for a few years now and I'm getting married in March, so I figured the least I could do is look good for my wife for the special day.

I just started this morning because of the college bowl games. I didn't want to even try to start before they were finished. We'll see how I look in March.
# 6
HDJ
Explanation: Southerner
HDJ
Explanation: Southerner
01/09/2007 8:53 pm
I never did the resolution thing either.....I'm weak, wouldn't stick to 'em anyway... :D
Check out my band:
Havoc Din
# 7
R. Shackleferd
Gulf Coaster
R. Shackleferd
Gulf Coaster
01/09/2007 11:34 pm
Originally Posted by: ren...Seriously though man, when you've done 2 weeks it gets easier....

Two weeks eh?
I'm relying on the fact that no matter what, I'm quitting, so having one in the process will only lengthen the agony (after that brief fix). I read that cigs release sugars into your bloodstream which is how it acts as an appetite suppressant...so it's suggested to drink juices. Perhaps another reason mints and gum helps too. And yeah, I gotta stay busy. But hey, one immediate benefit is when I get on the elevator at work in the morning (which 10 cram into) I don't reek.
[FONT=Palatino Linotype]"Bust a nut!" - Dimebag
"Imagination is more important than knowledge." - Einstein
[/FONT]
# 8
jiujitsu_jesus
jiujitsu_jesus
01/10/2007 11:11 am
Good luck with quitting, Rustee, sounds like you're off to a great start! :)

I have two resolutions - to be more spontaneous, and to build my fitness up. So far, I've done a fair few spontaneous things that I wouldn't normally do; and I've promised myself I'm going to join the gym club in the next week, so hopefully I'll at least make a bit of progress with these resolutions. Normally I don't bother, but I thought I might as well set myself some new long-term goals now that the HSC is out of the way.
"It's all folk music... I ain't never heard no horse sing!"
- Attributed variously to Leadbelly and Louis Armstrong

If at first you don't succeed, you are obviously not Chuck Norris.

l337iZmz r@wk o.K!!!??>
# 9
acapella
acapella
01/10/2007 8:27 pm
Yeah, in my opinion goals are better than resolutions. If you have a goal and some steps leading up to it, then you're going to make more progress than if you just resolve to do better without actually having a firm idea of what you want to achieve. Like for example, if I say, this year I resolve to write more every day, I won't make as much progress as if I say I want to write 1000 pages by the end of the year, and then figure out how much I have to write each day to achieve that. I've always found it to be that way for me anyway, is it different for anyone else?
You go outside and practice screaming. We'll play music while you're gone.
# 10
aschleman
aschleman
01/10/2007 8:34 pm
My new years resolution was to learn and tab Blues Deluxe by Joe Bonamassa... because as I've searched high and low for a tab and haven't found one yet... I've already got a good start on the song. I'm about to the 4:50 mark where he goes insane for about 2 minutes straight.... But yeah, that's my New Years resolution...
# 11
halo71
halo71
01/10/2007 8:46 pm
hummmm.....mine is less Guiness and more guitar. :cool:
# 12

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.