Relationship between scale and chords

zoom505
zoom505
09/15/2001 1:33 pm
Sorry I,m back with another question.

If you wrote solo in C major scale then I don't know which chords I'll play on this solo.
Do you understand me? How you "read" chords from the scale.

And what is difference between scale and mode?

I hope you understand me because my english is very bad.

Thank you for all answers.

# 1
Christoph
is Super Fabulous
Christoph
is Super Fabulous
09/15/2001 4:46 pm

Usually you write the chord progression, and then you write the solo. Doing it the other way around can be difficult.

There are an infinite (well, sort of) number of chords that you can play with any scale, but here are some of the basic ones for a C major scale -

C - Major
D - Minor
E - Minor
F - Major
G - Major or dominant seventh
A - Minor
B - Dim

# 2
ekstasis16
Guitar Tricks Instructor
ekstasis16
Guitar Tricks Instructor
09/19/2001 3:43 am
Producing a chord progression from a solo isn't very difficult if you know what to look for. If the solo is in C major, then you can use that scale and it's subsequent chords (the list that Christoph has provided above) to derive a progression.

By taking the accented or significant notes in each phrase of the solo, you can use those notes and compare them to the notes found in the chords and roughly line them up. There isn't one set progression that you have to use for a given solo. If you dont use all of a chord significant notes (i.e. the 1, 3, and 5), then you can probably get away with using almost any chord derived from the scale. The best way to figure it out is to record the solo, and play it back while you experiment with different chords in different parts of the solo. If all else fails, just use your ear. If it sounds good, go with it. That's the whole point of music.
"When you're a young, long-haired guitarist, no one takes you seriously." - John Petrucci

www.erikhagen.net
Web - Photo - Audio
# 3
Ascaroth456
Ascaroth456
09/23/2001 12:43 am
I was going to give you some advice, but ekstasis16 covered everything I would have told you & much more. so now I just want to thank ekstasis16 for enlightening me. But going getting the scales out of the chords is a bit easier for me.
Ascaroth
# 4

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.