What should I get for Christmas?

hunter1801
hunter1801
12/19/2006 1:21 am
My parents spend $200 on our Christmas gifts each year, but this year I hve no idea what I want. I figured Id get something for my guitar but I dont know what. My tuner hasnt been working for a year, so i could replace that. Ive never used a metronoe, so that could be good to. Any recommendations?

- Also want to mention that even though I have $200 to spend, I dont need a $200 tuner or metronome. Guitar Center is where Id get it from most likely.
# 1
elklandercc
Full Access
elklandercc
Full Access
12/19/2006 3:35 am
Your best bet is this guy : http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Boss-TU2-Chromatic-Tuner?sku=213012

As far as metronomes, this was on the top of the list for best selling : http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Boss-DB30-Dr.-Beat-Metronome?sku=213016
Not too pricey at all for its features.
"During this line, the kid acted like he was pushing buttons on a calculator in the air. The kid played ******* air-calculator!"

Myspace
# 2
Kevin Taylor
Guitar Tricks Instructor
Kevin Taylor
Guitar Tricks Instructor
12/19/2006 3:51 am
Definitely a tuner & maybe a years supply of strings & picks.
Or instead of a tuner, get some recording software that has a built in drum machine
# 3
R. Shackleferd
Gulf Coaster
R. Shackleferd
Gulf Coaster
12/19/2006 3:53 am
These round out anyone's pedalboard nicely if you don't have them. Although I might substitute the EQ pedal for the shifter in that list. But the rest are listed on the bottom.
Or you might consider some software...recording, synth/sampling, drums, etc.
[FONT=Palatino Linotype]"Bust a nut!" - Dimebag
"Imagination is more important than knowledge." - Einstein
[/FONT]
# 4
Anthony Derrick
Anthony Derrick
12/19/2006 8:47 pm
Yeah definately some type of easy to use drum machine, read the reviews to see what others say about ease of use
# 5
hunter1801
hunter1801
12/21/2006 6:28 pm
Thanks for the responds, sorry I havent posted, my internet has been out for 3 days. As far as the first tuner goes, what exactly does "Chromatic" mean? Also, I dont plat in a band or anything, so I dont need a bunch of footpedals, or even a pedaled tuner (but this one would be a good investment anyways I think). I dont want a drum machine or anything, just the basics here.

Also, Ive been looking around, and I was wondering if anyone knew the differences between these tuners:

http://www.guitarcenter.com/shop/product/buy_boss_tu15_chromatic_tuner_with_accupitch?full_sku=102067915
http://www.guitarcenter.com/shop/product/buy_boss_tu12h_highrange_chromatic_tuner?full_sku=100253225
http://www.guitarcenter.com/shop/product/buy_boss_tu12_tuner?full_sku=100004365
# 6
earthman buck
earthman buck
12/22/2006 2:22 am
Chromatic just means all the notes. From A to G#, with everything in between.
# 7
rockonn91
rockonn91
12/22/2006 3:45 pm
dude, just get a cheap Korg tuner. like $20. thats really all you need.

as for effects, a good delay makes all the difference in the world.
I like the Boss DD-6, very versitile.
JK :cool:

-Agile Guitars Enthusiast
# 8
Andrew Sa
Andrew Sa
12/22/2006 3:52 pm
well, my next $200 dollar purchase will be a Fulltone Fulldrive (for 179USD) and then a Zvex Probe wah.

If I were you, I'd get a metronome and tuner myself, and get a Full drive from the folks
[FONT=Century Gothic]Hope is when we feel the pain that makes us try again[/FONT]
# 9
aschleman
aschleman
12/22/2006 4:05 pm
Well, effects are always nice.

A simple Korg tuner will do the trick as far as your tuner needs... but here's some hot pedals to get start off the drooling:

Ibanez TubeScreamer: The TS-9 is the basic version, not too expensive... however you really want to a piece of equipment that you will never have to replace no matter if you're playing in your room or playing a sold out Madison Square Garden... spring for the TS-808... it's salty but it's the holy grail of overdrive and the cornerstone of countless artists unmistakable tones

Dunlop Wah: The Jimi Hendrix wah is the basic... Awesome tone that you'd expect from a Dunlop wah... The Zakk Wylde is the one that I own and it's basically a hotrodded Jimi Hendrix wah with a bit more bite... but not quite as much as the Crybaby... Which is a good balanced wah... If you want brutal tone modification from your wah check out the Crybaby from Hell.

Boss pedals: Basically anything in the line of Boss pedals are good picks... Some are less essential than others ofcourse... The Metal Zone is a good distortion... Boss Delay pedals and chorus pedals are others that normally work their way into serious guitar players rigs at some point...

Digitech: Digitech has countless gadgets that are awesome for beginners and veterans alike. The new GNX3000 pedal is a killer redesign of the GNX series. They have a bunch of other killer pedals as well like the signature pedals. The Jimi Hendrix Wah, The Expression Factory Wah, The Distortion Factory pedal, The Crossroads Eric Clapton pedal...and so on. They're all awesome... If you're looking for a first wah pedal or can't settle on a distortion that you like check out the two Factory pedals. The Expression Factory has a bunch of different classic and cool wah tones... The Hendrix wah is the same way but restricts it to Jimi's famous wah tones.... The distortion factory pedal is a cool little pedal that models some of the most famous distortion and overdrive pedals... Pretty nice for the price.

Boss ME-50: If you have a decent amp... and want to start putting together a nice pedal board but don't know much about what's good and whats not... Check out this handy pedal board that gives you control over most all of Boss's pedals. From their delay pedals, chorus pedals, to their distortion and overdrive pedals....They modeled them and put them in this all in one unit that is designed to work ONLY as an effects pedal board... Rather than an amp modeler as well... This is more of a proffesional style application since most veteran guitarists don't like to use amp modeling... What's the purpose in buying that Mesa if you're going to use a JCM model on it...This unit uses your amps tone but gives you control over three seperate pedals that you can decide which is which and adjust the parameters just like you could if they were the individule pedals from Boss... Awesome little stage toy of you have a simple rig... I've seen a lot of rigs that have cost people over 500 dollars that could have been simplified by just buying one of these...
# 10

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.