Another story by me

earthman buck
earthman buck
12/12/2006 2:44 am
Other than the very basic plot elements, I made this up on the spot the other night. Tell me what you think!

[U]A Noble Quest[/U]

Montague was a very unhappy man.

He had a decent job, a nice apartment, and a loving mob of people who were all willing to call him their best friend. He was a generous man, always the first to help someone down on their luck. His compassion and empathy knew no bounds. He was a community hero, a martyr.

And yet, Montague was very unhappy.

Montague was so unhappy, he decided to kill himself.

Montague was so compassionate, he couldn't bear the thought of letting anybody down.

It was for this reason that Montague found himself walking through the city streets at 9:00 one morning. His last self-appointed earthly duty was to let his many friends know of his planned suicide, and to help them cope with their grief before it began. Montague couldn't stand the thought of his friends grieving.

For six weeks, Montague travelled the country, tracking down everyone he had ever intimately known and informing them of his plans. Every single one was horribly upset by the news. Every single one decided to themselves upon Montague's departure that a life without Montague would be a hollow one.

It was for this reason that everyone Montague had ever known decided to kill themselves.

They each quit their jobs and travelled the country, tracking down everyone they had ever intimately known and breaking the news. Of course, with each of Montague's friends knowing many of the same people, there were a few unfortunate instances of overlap. When these poor souls heard the news that their friends and families were to take their own lives, they came to the same conclusion they would have once considered absurd. They traded all their worldly possessions for plane tickets and set out to visit old acquaintances one last time.

It was around this time that a funny thing happened. People started returning from their voyages, not thinking of suicide, but instead thinking of how great it had been to see so many forgotten friends. They tossed aside their nooses and shotguns and sink-cleaning solutions and picked up their telephones for a lovely evening chat.

Montague, however, was unable to pick up his phone. He was too busy being dead.

The embalmer's tilted head held his cell phone in place against his shoulder. He hummed a cheerful tune to himself as the operator connected him to an old friend in England.
# 1
Tonja_Renee
Official PRSplaya Groupie
Tonja_Renee
Official PRSplaya Groupie
12/12/2006 2:58 am
That could be a Monty Python skit!! lol
Great works are performed, not by strength, but by perseverance.
# 2
acapella
acapella
12/12/2006 3:44 am
Originally Posted by: earthman buckA Noble Quest

Uh...you're WELCOME.
You go outside and practice screaming. We'll play music while you're gone.
# 3
earthman buck
earthman buck
12/12/2006 8:25 pm
Originally Posted by: acapellaUh...you're WELCOME.

Oh yeah, uh......thanks to Michael for the title.
# 4
acapella
acapella
12/12/2006 8:55 pm
Originally Posted by: earthman buckOh yeah, uh......thanks to Michael for the title.

Damn right. Greasymumblemumblerugbot....
You go outside and practice screaming. We'll play music while you're gone.
# 5
ericthecableguy
ericthecableguy
01/25/2007 11:43 pm
Just read this brenden. It's an excellent concept. It's eerie how similar this is to what happens in my own mind. Kudos
For life is quite absurd and death's the final word, You must always face the curtain with a bow
Forget about your sin - give the audience a grin
Enjoy it - it's your last chance anyhow.

METOOB
# 6
Jolly McJollyson
Chick Magnet
Jolly McJollyson
Chick Magnet
01/25/2007 11:45 pm
I'm gonna workshop this on my computer. I'll email you my critique.
I want the bomb
I want the P-funk!

My band is better than yours...
# 7
iiholly
hmm
iiholly
hmm
01/26/2007 1:44 am
Reminds me of a short story... well a short story in a short story I read for english today. A mom becomes a junkie so she can hang out with her junkie son. Then the son cleans up and the mom is still a junkie. But yeah... you could add some depth to it with more adjective, varied sentence structure, and what not. Good plot though.

# 8

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.