Metal Amp

Rishathra
Rishathra
11/19/2006 11:32 pm
I am getting a new amp, and im deciding between the H&K switchblade and the Peavey JSX for a Metal amp. I have a Marshall cab for the head to run through.
Ive played the JSX and its a great amp but has anyone played the Switchblade? can it get a good metal sound?
Im interested in the H&K because of the 128 presets and FX
But of course i want a Tube amp. ;)
Check out my band >>Rishathra<<

Australian Metal!!! \m/>.<\m/
# 1
da_ardvark
da_ardvark
11/20/2006 3:48 am
I think the best amp on the market atm is the H&K triamp. Pricey ($3000) but damn what an amp. This is what im saving for. It has 3 all tube channels, each channel has two voicings. These channels are foot switchable and there is also a half-power switch to change from 100 watts to 50. There are some great sound files on the H&K website. really too may features to describe here. Check it out :)
# 2
Rishathra
Rishathra
11/20/2006 7:34 am
The H&K Triamp does look very nice, but as you said pricey. A little too deep for my pocket im afraid.

# 3
aschleman
aschleman
11/20/2006 2:19 pm
I wouldn't personally buy a Hughes and Kettner amp unless it was one of their tube amps... They make high end tube amps but I've never been impressed with one of their solid state amps. It kind of depends on what kind of Marshall cabinet you have as well... It will dictate what wattage you can run through it and also what kind of sound the speakers are capable of putting out... Most people overlook speakers... Speakers and the type of cab also dictate what your sound is like... It doesn't matter if you have a H&K Triamp or a cheap low end solid state head... If the speakers are lousy, your sound is going to be lousy...

Now, I'm not sure what you budget is but if you're looking at a JSX I would suggest a Marshall JCM 800/900/2000 TSL over the JSX... especially if you're running a Marshall cab... The JCM's are very versatile... although not as verstile as the JSX... I think they get a little bit more crunch... Even though Peavey amps are killer amps... Especially the Triple X and the JSX... Check out the JCM's... they're a super solid tube amp that is pretty much industry standard these days... They can nail most any tone out there if you have a basic set of pedals or a multi effects processor... which is another alternative as well...

If you have a multi effects processor like Line 6 Pod or PodXT Live... or Boss Gt-6 or GT-8... you can always spring for a power amp and use the preamp of the multieffects processor.... You can purchase a Mesa Boogie Triple Rectifier Power Amp for between 800 and 1200 dollars.. depending on where you're buying it and whether or not it's used... This kind of set-up is good for studio type stuff... and it's not bad for being on the road either... you get the best of both worlds... you get solid Mesa Boogie tube tone... but you also have the versatility to use the amp models on your multieffects processor.... Just a few other avenues to look into I guess...

But I personlly would take a Peavey tube amp over a H&K solid state amp any day of the week.
# 4
Rishathra
Rishathra
11/20/2006 7:33 pm
Thanks for the advice aschleman, but i do already own a Marshall JCM 2000 TSL and 1960A cab, i just want more stuff :p
Also the H&K switchblade Is a tube amp, with digital FX. I havent talked to anyone who has played it though, and my local music shop doesnt have it in stock.

# 5
aschleman
aschleman
11/20/2006 7:47 pm
I see. Well I own a JCM 900 which in my opinion has a bit more bite than the 2000... the 2000 seems a bit warmer to my ear but some people disagree...

I've never heard of the Switchblade but I knwo from experience that the H&K tube amps are solid metal and crunch machines... Sounds like a sweet amp to me. Depending on your price range you might want to check out the Genz-Benz and Krank line of amps... they both make killer metal amps... I played a Fender Metal Head too and those things crank... but they run 500 watts so you would have to get a cab with speakers that can handle the wattage...
# 6
HDJ
Explanation: Southerner
HDJ
Explanation: Southerner
11/20/2006 9:25 pm
I used to have a JCM 900, but unlike what it says on the front, it's not a high gain amp, which doesn't really make it suitable for metal.....I switched to the 800 and haven't found an amp I like better yet.
Check out my band:
Havoc Din
# 7
Andrew Sa
Andrew Sa
11/21/2006 4:03 pm
I dont like tube amps with effects, dunno why,I just dont think its right...hehe, but H and K tube amps are awesome.

I was looking at the Trilogy, which is a chinese alternative to he triamp, a few months ago, I didnt like it too much tho, and ended up getting an Ibanez thermion (i know its an Ibanez, but this thing is a top class amp, with a great sound and it comes stock with Ruby tubes) have a look at the Thermion before you buy anything, if you can ignore the Ibaez on the front and just listen to the tubes sing, you should be in for a treat
[FONT=Century Gothic]Hope is when we feel the pain that makes us try again[/FONT]
# 8
elklandercc
Full Access
elklandercc
Full Access
11/21/2006 6:28 pm
You can take a look at Diezel amps and Krank amps. The Krankenstien is one metal beast, I recommened looking at that.

http://www.diezelamplification.com/html/diezel.htm

http://www.krankamps.com/
"During this line, the kid acted like he was pushing buttons on a calculator in the air. The kid played ******* air-calculator!"

Myspace
# 9
Homebrew1709
Homebrew1709
11/21/2006 7:37 pm
If you want a nice 4x12 cab, dont waste ur money on something that just says "Marshall" or "Mesa Boogie" on the front; get a Carvin cab! $560 for a serious cab with 4 Celestion Vintage30's. If the name matters that much, take the Carvin nameplate off and screw on one that says Marshall :p ! My smart-shopper tip of the day ;)
# 10
PRSplaya
Full Access
PRSplaya
Full Access
11/21/2006 8:14 pm
You can't beat a Peavey 5150/6505 for a metal amp. Plus, they won't kill your wallet like some of the other high-gain tube amps will. I have the 2x12 combo, and it is one helluva beast!
[FONT=Palatino Linotype]Tonja Renee's personal instructor[/FONT]

>HERE'S WHERE I AM NOW<
# 11
Rishathra
Rishathra
11/21/2006 9:56 pm
Thanks for all the recomendations of amps but im gonna go with the H&K.
Sounds like a really great amp, also i did like the Ibanez Thermion, maybe thats a sign of great amps to come from ibanez.

# 12
alucard0941
alucard0941
11/22/2006 12:54 am
Originally Posted by: PRSplayaYou can't beat a Peavey 5150/6505 for a metal amp. Plus, they won't kill your wallet like some of the other high-gain tube amps will. I have the 2x12 combo, and it is one helluva beast!

so true dude. The 6505 is basically a Marshall on steroids so you dont have to crank the Marshall for the tones. Alot of people say it isnt very versitle, and they may be right to some extent. But you have to consider that it is extremely versitile in delierivering any metal tone imaginable. From Marshall crunch to Recto thrash.
__
/--\
o-/-||-\-o
o-/ -||- \-o
o-\ -||- /-o
\___/
|--|
|--|
|--|
:eek:

My Music

whoooo hoooo !!!!
# 13
Andrew Sa
Andrew Sa
11/22/2006 8:37 am
Originally Posted by: RishathraThanks for all the recomendations of amps but im gonna go with the H&K.
Sounds like a really great amp, also i did like the Ibanez Thermion, maybe thats a sign of great amps to come from ibanez.

yay, someone else in the world who likes the Thermion....I thought I may just be the only one around.
No one in South Africa has bought one (I'm the onyl guy in the entire counrty to own one) because we have a stupid mentality here: if someone has the omney to buy a nice guitar, they'll buy a Gibson or a Fender, never will they look at any custom shops or slightly unknown brands, its always Gibson and Fender.,
Same with amps, if they have the cash, it has to be a Marshall...and alot of people dont understand the differences between different amps, for alot of folks, your Marshall stack may as well be a Mg100 as a Tsl 100...silly really...but so long as it says Marshall, South Africans will think its the greatest amp in the world
[FONT=Century Gothic]Hope is when we feel the pain that makes us try again[/FONT]
# 14

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.