Blatant, blatant plagiarism

earthman buck
earthman buck
09/09/2006 2:35 am
So yesterday my little brother was listening to KISS (his favourite band) and yammering on and on about useless KISS trivia. He likes to do that kind of thing, because it's pretty much the only rock band he knows more stuff about than me.

Anyhow, he was listening to this song called "She," and telling me about how it was written by the guy who introduced Gene Simmons to Paul Stanley, and how it was one of only two songs written by that guy....and so on. I wasn't paying attention, because frankly, I just don't care about KISS.

So there I was, just a-noddin' away, trying to look interested, when the guitar solo started. I immediately recognized the first few notes as the very same ones in the solo in "Five to One" by the Doors. I interrupted his stream of KISS facts with a hearty "WHAT THE HELL?!?!?! THAT'S FIVE TO ONE!!!"

I kept listening, expecting it to go off into some other tangent. After all, it's not so unusual for parts of solos to get recycled by other bands. I've even recognized something similar to the beginning of the "Five to One" solo in yet another song, "Alive" by Pearl Jam.

The thing is, the "She" solo didn't change it up. There was a little bit of shredding at the end, but other than that, it was nearly identical to "Five to One."

Give it a listen. Never in my life have I heard such blatant plagiarism.
# 1
jiujitsu_jesus
jiujitsu_jesus
09/09/2006 5:53 pm
Yeah, I know about that one, it's a shame :(; but to be honest, I don't know whether Ace Frehley has ever played a solo that wasn't at least partially stolen from a song by another artist.
"It's all folk music... I ain't never heard no horse sing!"
- Attributed variously to Leadbelly and Louis Armstrong

If at first you don't succeed, you are obviously not Chuck Norris.

l337iZmz r@wk o.K!!!??>
# 2

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.