Music theory

Lao_Tzu
Lao_Tzu
09/07/2006 2:53 pm
How do u start learning music theory? ive been doing nothing but practicing scales and modes and general shredding but i want to make sense of it all and start making it msuical.
any pointers because when someone starts talking all these 9ths and 7ths and 5ths and how to make new chords and structure things. my mind gets instatnly baffled and turned of. even tho i want to learn it. could someone point me in the right direction?
# 1
jimmy_kwtx
jimmy_kwtx
09/07/2006 3:11 pm
I would recomend making sure you know your notes on a staff at first and begin with Diatonic Chord Harmony and know/have the/a working understanding of what "makes" a chord.

Try to use 3 least references when learning this... i.e standard music notation, Tab , Chord "boxes", scale "boxes", and your git-fiddle.

There are some postings and threads plus I am sure there are lessons on the site to help get you started.
[FONT=Comic Sans MS]I reject your reality and substitue my own[/FONT]

[FONT=Comic Sans MS]BYAAAAAAAAAAAH![/FONT]

[FONT=Comic Sans MS]But it goes to eleven....[/FONT]
# 2
Lao_Tzu
Lao_Tzu
09/07/2006 3:21 pm
i mean stuff like ur word diatonic and i dont pay for the facilities on this site music should be free for everyone :)
# 3
jimmy_kwtx
jimmy_kwtx
09/07/2006 3:43 pm
Go to the Music Thoery Forum and look for the post that talks about Diatonic Theory (it is at the bottom) this should help get you started.

Diatonic is just a word. The concept is what you need to learn.

# 4
ren
ren
09/07/2006 3:44 pm
Originally Posted by: Lao_Tzu...i dont pay for the facilities on this site music should be free for everyone :)

Er.... no. If people didn't pay for anything, I wouldn't be able to buy my dinner. Why should it be free?

Anyway...

Do a search on google for 'Diatonic Harmony' and you'll get the answer. Also, look at the intervals of scales. For instance, a major 7th chord is just a standard major triad with the seventh note of the scale added.... Diatonic harmony is also the route to the modes....

Check out my music, video, lessons & backing tracks here![br]https://www.renhimself.com

# 5
jimmy_kwtx
jimmy_kwtx
09/07/2006 4:59 pm
Originally Posted by: Lao_Tzui mean stuff like ur word diatonic and i dont pay for the facilities on this site music should be free for everyone :)

I agree to some extent. Pointers, help and general knowledge should be free. That's why I like the open exchange of forums and blogs.

But the instructors here take large amounts of their time to help create not just tabs and essays, but recording the sound files and in some cases videos to help.

This is above and beyond just answering a post and giving pointers.

Here's a "real world" take on this. You have some buddies that you ocasionally hang out and jam with. You sometimes get shown or show someone else a lick, chord whatever. All good, that is what playing with others is supposed to do help each other grow as musicians.

Now if you were to go and pick one of those peole and ask them to start showing you "stuff" on a regular basis then that person (if they accept) will have to set aside a specific time of their day and as to show you the proper respect makes sure that they keep that time open and free (no, let me cancell cause my favorite TV show is coming on, or I don't feel like doing it today etc.) that time now has value to that person. By accepting the agreement and the payment for each lesson that time now has value to you also and you will take it more seriously.

I am not a subscriber nor an instructor for this site. I find the services valuable that are offered and think that for some this fits their needs and budget.

I am a member becuase the community here is open, honest, and tends to stick towards helping others instead of making them feel like idiots if they do not know anything or have a "simple/stupid" question. This site, to me, promotes the pursuit of knowledge and offers the means for anyone in the world to learn from others and share ideas and feedback.

I feel the same way about tab sharing (should be free) or music sharing (to an extent). They are ways of exchanging music, ideas, and knowledge.

I'll get off my sopabox now :)

# 6
Lao_Tzu
Lao_Tzu
09/07/2006 6:35 pm
lol im skint and jobless and all i want to do is play guitar and let everything else come to me if i dedicate my time to playing that is my theory. just when u get stuck with something its hard to go look i need some help coz everyone charges. you should just do it for the love of doing it and if u get money for it thats a bonus. dont work for the money let the money come to you :) ull enjoy playing more that way.
# 7
ren
ren
09/08/2006 8:20 am
A nice thought....

Have you got a mortgage to pay? :D

I suspect I'd be waiting a long time for the money to come to me...

Check out my music, video, lessons & backing tracks here![br]https://www.renhimself.com

# 8
gennation
gennation
09/08/2006 11:00 am
Originally Posted by: Lao_TzuHow do u start learning music theory? ive been doing nothing but practicing scales and modes and general shredding but i want to make sense of it all and start making it msuical.
any pointers because when someone starts talking all these 9ths and 7ths and 5ths and how to make new chords and structure things. my mind gets instatnly baffled and turned of. even tho i want to learn it. could someone point me in the right direction?

Lao, read through the Beginners to Advanced Series at my lesson site (http://lessons.mikedodge.com). I've been teaching this stuff "theory" stuff for over 20 years and have put together a ground up approach to aclimating yourself in theory and it's concepts.

Start right at the Intervals, after that move on the the rest of the subjects. I'll show you how those simple ideas are used in many aspects of music theory, and music in general.

It'll take you right through Diatonic Theory. And, if you have time on your hands to learn, you'll have a much better understanding by the end of the weekend. And, you'll gain a firm foundation for understanding even deeer concepts of theory.

They're free, good luck, and have fun!

Here's a the breakdown, read them in this order:

The Beginner to Advanced Series

Intervals: 5 Part Series

Chord Construction: 12 Part Series

Diatonic Theory and Modes: 14 Part Series

Determining What Key You Are In

Explanation of Modes within a Progression

Modal Chord Grips: 2 Part Series
http://lessons.mikedodge.com
http://www.mikedodge.com
# 9
lifeis@song
lifeis@song
09/09/2006 12:32 am
if you wanna look at really nifty scales go to jguitar.com that website is really helpful. i agree wit you lao, music should be free, but unfortunatly that doesnt hold over too well for capitalists. oops
# 10
desitricks
desitricks
03/04/2008 3:57 pm
Lao Tzu, your prayers have been answered. You're right that it's one thing to memorize scale patterns and practice technique, but another to actually understand guitar theory and put all the pieces together correctly. I'll give you a general guideline to follow when learning music theory and then post some links to free guitar lessons that'll help you get started. If you have more questions, just let me know.

Music Theory Basics
First thing first, everything in music is either derived from or thought of in relation to the major scale. Make sure you know how to cover the entire guitar fretboard with major scales in various keys. Also, be sure to spend time using the scale to play melodies, riffs, solos and bass lines. You want to understand the scale in a musical context, not just as patterns on the guitar neck.

Major Scale Chord Theory
Next, learn how the major scale is used to make triads and build chords. The major and minor chord number system that emerges is one of the most important concepts in all of music. Understanding guitar chord progressions and playing by numbers is critical to charting songs, recognizing keys, and knowing what scales to play. Also, the modal concept (guitar modes) stems direct from major scale patterns and chord progressions. If you learn progressions correctly, you should know what parent major scale a song stems from and what each chord is by number.

This will lay a good foundation. Learning additional music theory will make more sense. And you'll really be able to map out the fret board better too. For example, if you know how triads and chords are built using intervals such as root, third and fifth, then you'll understand how to add the other scale tones like fourths, sixths and sevenths.

To get started, listen to the Guitar Theory Podcast . If this link doesn't work just got to iTunes or Talkshoe.com and search for the terms "Guitar Music Theory Lessons."

Also, you can learn a lot about applying music theory at the Guitar Theory Blog .

These resources are all free. Go get started!

Play Until Yer Fingers Bleed!
Mr. Desi Serna (Google me!)
http://www.Guitar-Music-Theory.com
Pentatonic/CAGED/Progressions/M
# 11
light487
Forum Administrator
light487
Forum Administrator
03/04/2008 6:52 pm
I wasn't interested in "proper" Music Theory till about 9 months ago. I'd played guitar for about 16 years prior to that, mostly by trial and error. I had a decent grasp of music but didn't understand it. The biggest breakthrough was understanding the "intervals" involved in everything. Once I knew the intervals separating the notes in a Major and minor scale (or whatever) I was pretty much set to learn the rest of music theory.

I still count out the intervals of scales on my fingers (unless I have a guitar handy) but it really does help immensely. The next thing that helped a lot was knowing how chords are constructed, which also relates to Major and minor intervals. The next thing that helped was diatonic chord progressions. And then the next thing was common chord leading techniques (ie. which chord tends to lead to another chord etc). There is of course many, many subjects of theory you could learn beyond these.. but those are the ones, in that order, which helped me the most.
light487
Guitar Tricks Moderator

GuitarTricks
Daily Light Blog
# 12
Lao_Tzu
Lao_Tzu
03/04/2008 7:31 pm
i have now gone to acm www.acm.ac.uk and have learnt alot about basic theory concepts im at the point of harmonising in 7ths diatonically. and creating chords in the minor scales. so using the natural minor as the 1 chord. and creating the space for the harmonic minor scale by using dominant chords. where do i go next?
# 13
julianp13
julianp13
03/10/2008 10:30 am
To start learning music theory you need to understand a few basics first.

Check out my website for more details.

http://www.learn-theory-music.com

Cheers
Julian
# 14
ren
ren
03/10/2008 10:40 am
Originally Posted by: Lao_Tzui have now gone to acm...

Can I ask you how ACM feel about you not paying for their tuition time, as music should be free? :p

Probably next are the church modes, if you haven't covered that already. As you're in the UK, I'd suggest working through the London College of Music (LCM) theory grades from one through 5 - that should give you all the theory you'll ever need.

# 15
Lao_Tzu
Lao_Tzu
03/10/2008 10:44 am
its been a couple of years since i posted that lool i do still belive music should be free. but people dont want to give it for free. plus if you truly wanted to teach ud be doing it for free anyway. because youd appreciate that you have someone to pass on your knowledge.
# 16
ren
ren
03/10/2008 10:49 am
He he... If i truly wanted to teach I'd do it for free? Some of my students I do teach for free... others I don't. I wonder if when you've finished learning and decide to play or teach you'll be so keen to do it for free?

I do enjoy passing on my knowledge in so far as I do, but sadly until musicians qualify for free housing, utilities and groceries etc I'm not going to be able to teach for free. If you decide to go for the LCM grades, give me a call - my rates are very reasonable... ;)

# 17
Lao_Tzu
Lao_Tzu
03/10/2008 10:56 am
thats why people have jobs when music becomes a job ill stop playing.

i have covered church modes but dont fully understand them and the chord progressions that come with them or the extensions
# 18
ChristopherSchlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor
ChristopherSchlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor
03/10/2008 2:34 pm
I did a tutorial on modes here:
http://www.guitartricks.com/tutorial.php?input=370

The church modes can be useful in understanding and tracing the historical development of tonal theory. But, it isn't absolutely necessary. Personally I think the best place to start is JJ Fux's book on counterpoint.

I did tutorials on counterpoint, harmonic conception and voice leading here:
http://www.guitartricks.com/tutorial.php?input=415
http://www.guitartricks.com/tutorial.php?input=147
http://www.guitartricks.com/tutorial.php?input=167
Christopher Schlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor

Christopher Schlegel Lesson Directory
# 19

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.