Who Smokes ?

Grambo
halfway to somewhere
Grambo
halfway to somewhere
08/28/2006 12:16 am
I've tried Nicorette nicotine relacement chewing gum and lasted 28 hours - i'll try again soon - 30 year habit.
if you always take the lazy route
The Devil knows your every move ![COLOR=RoyalBlue]
# 1
Tonja_Renee
Official PRSplaya Groupie
Tonja_Renee
Official PRSplaya Groupie
08/28/2006 1:14 am
I quit on October 24, 1992... I used Nicoderm patch... It worked.. I have been pretty much smoke free since then. I smoked for about 7 years. But I have seen people who quit with 30 years under their belt. My mom did it. Although cancer took her anyways...

Smoking has done a number on my health. I suffer from Asthma, so cigarette smoke obviously is not good for that. lol Although that was not the reason I quit, it certainly helped.

Quitting is not an easy task...You have to want to do it. I mean really want to do it. I cut back to my three favorite cigarettes per day... and I did that for two months before I quit. If you really want to quit, you will find something that will work for you... just keep at it.
Great works are performed, not by strength, but by perseverance.
# 2
Dr_simon
Guitar Tricks Instructor
Dr_simon
Guitar Tricks Instructor
08/28/2006 1:24 am
I smoked 2-3 packs of Marlboro red a day for 15 years and just quit. No patches, no gum just balls out misery !

I had such a crap time I never smoked again !

That was Christmas 2000 !

Don't try to stop unless you are going to do it. If you are going to do it, then just do it. You can if you want to, you just have to want to enough !!
My instructors page and www.studiotrax.net for all things recording.
my toons Brought to you by Dr BadGAS
# 3
Kevin Taylor
Guitar Tricks Instructor
Kevin Taylor
Guitar Tricks Instructor
08/28/2006 1:54 am
Yeah, I used to smoke about a pack a day and quit about 18 years ago.
I got a persistant cough so bad I couldn't sleep one night, so I got up and squished my whole pack of smokes into a ball and tossed em in the garbage.
# 4
acapella
acapella
08/28/2006 2:34 am
Smokers are jokers! Smokers are jokers! Down with dope, up with hope!

I never smoked, so I don't know what quitting is like, but no matter how hard it is I think it's worth it. So, do so now.
You go outside and practice screaming. We'll play music while you're gone.
# 5
Grambo
halfway to somewhere
Grambo
halfway to somewhere
08/28/2006 2:53 am
I don't think there's a lot of dope in the country due to current airport restrictions ( anti-terrorism ) X rays
if you always take the lazy route
The Devil knows your every move ![COLOR=RoyalBlue]
# 6
Mark Pav
Mark Pav
08/28/2006 2:58 am
Originally Posted by: schmangeYeah, I used to smoke about a pack a day and quit about 18 years ago.
I got a persistant cough so bad I couldn't sleep one night, so I got up and squished my whole pack of smokes into a ball and tossed em in the garbage.

My dad went through the same thing. Kept telling himself that he could have one "later" and made sure that later never came.

I never smoked, but I've quit other things and counselled people who have been in various stages of quitting various things. The first four days are the hardest. Also, the first two weeks seem to be a real obstacle; if you can get over that hump you're in the clear. Most people are successful when they do it cold turkey rather than by easing off gradually. And remember to replace it with something else rather than just dropping it altogether. Oh, and avoid areas of temptation if you can, where you'd find it hard to not smoke.
# 7
pure
pure
08/28/2006 3:08 am
I smoked a day. a whole cigarette. i quit right after and i've never put one near my mouth since.. well except my nose.
Originally Posted by: schmangeugly fat chicks
# 8
jeffhx
Disco Bandit
jeffhx
Disco Bandit
08/28/2006 6:52 am
meh ive only been smoking for 4 years...started off due to curiosity...my dad smokes so ive always wondered how its like...ever since it gradually became a habit like when i have nth to do or when i feel 'crappy' or just for kicks...now its an addiction i wud say...ive thought abt quitting but that was it..until something serious happens to me then id really quit i think...not that im saying i need that...well maybe i do...not that i want to...or...maybe yea...i only smoke arnd ten or under that if im sober...drinking makes me trip on ciggies...so id be chaining..ah well...it is hard to just even think abt not smoking...for me that is...
[FONT=Impact]grooviest tunes ever [/FONT]
# 9
magicninja
Guitar Tricks Moderator
magicninja
Guitar Tricks Moderator
08/28/2006 2:53 pm
I smoke, hate the fact that I do, regret I ever started, feel like I may drop dead at any second from it. I WILL quit. Im trying to ween myself. I was up to pack and a half a day and couldn't handle coughing up Insane amounts of dark brown flegm every morning. So now I'm down to about 8 cigs a day. I'll get down to none before the years out.
Magicninja
Guitar Tricks Moderator

"If it feels right, play it. If it feels wrong, play it fasterā€ - Magicninja
www.GuitarTricks.com - Home of Online Guitar Lessons
# 10
jimmy_kwtx
jimmy_kwtx
08/28/2006 3:38 pm
Smoker myself.

There is a saying--"you can quit a thousand times but stop only once" I fall in the category of quitting many times but haven't stopped yet. :(

It is a nasty habit and one I do not recomend to anyone, especially to my boys( reminds me of the line in the Beastie Boys song "Fight for your Right").

But it is on my list of things to do/acomplish before I turn 35.
[FONT=Comic Sans MS]I reject your reality and substitue my own[/FONT]

[FONT=Comic Sans MS]BYAAAAAAAAAAAH![/FONT]

[FONT=Comic Sans MS]But it goes to eleven....[/FONT]
# 11
Kathmandu
Kathmandu
08/28/2006 5:10 pm
my dad just recently quit smoking cigarettes, but right now he smokes a tabacco pipe. It's not really quiting but it's better, I guess. :o
War?
# 12
earthman buck
earthman buck
08/28/2006 9:51 pm
The sole reason I don't smoke is the smell. I've never been one to care for my health too much, and I don't care what anyone says, smoking DOES make you look cool.
# 13
pure
pure
08/28/2006 10:42 pm
Originally Posted by: earthman buckThe sole reason I don't smoke is the smell. I've never been one to care for my health too much, and I don't care what anyone says, smoking DOES make you look cool.

so if they made cigarettes that smell good... would you do them?
Originally Posted by: schmangeugly fat chicks
# 14
R. Shackleferd
Gulf Coaster
R. Shackleferd
Gulf Coaster
08/28/2006 10:48 pm
I've smoked for a lil over 10 years now, but earlier this year was the first time I ever tried to quit. I chewed the gum for about a month and didn't have any cigarettes. I thought I was doing pretty good. But in retrospect, I should've weened myself off the gum quicker. I had noticed an improved sense of smell including the renewed unpleasantness of second hand smoke, but was still pretty much addicted to nicotine. So then I tried these little cigars telling myself that 1 or 2 a day instead of gum is ok...but yeah, it eventually just led right back to buying a pack of cigs. I'll try again soon though, once and for all hopefully.
[FONT=Palatino Linotype]"Bust a nut!" - Dimebag
"Imagination is more important than knowledge." - Einstein
[/FONT]
# 15
Hammurabi
Hammurabi
08/28/2006 11:04 pm
Originally Posted by: pureso if they made cigarettes that smell good... would you do them?

Cigar and pipe smoke is supposed to smell good. You're also not supposed to suck it through your lungs.
"If one has realized a truth, that truth is valueless so long as there is lacking the indomitable will to turn this realization into action!"
-A.H.
# 16
magicninja
Guitar Tricks Moderator
magicninja
Guitar Tricks Moderator
08/29/2006 12:37 am
Originally Posted by: pureso if they made cigarettes that smell good... would you do them?

Whoa phillip morris! Stop trying to get earthman to smoke. :p
Magicninja
Guitar Tricks Moderator

"If it feels right, play it. If it feels wrong, play it fasterā€ - Magicninja
www.GuitarTricks.com - Home of Online Guitar Lessons
# 17
R. Shackleferd
Gulf Coaster
R. Shackleferd
Gulf Coaster
08/29/2006 12:39 am
Yeah, when I was younger I didn't understand the struggle of those trying to quit. It just seemed that they weren't trying hard enough, or didn't have enough will. I guess that's why I wasn't scared enough from trying it (as in I can quit anytime, no big deal). I guess overall those assumptions are true anyways, but I didn't grasp the gravity of the addiction. More than physical, it's psychological too. And it's clear (to myself anyways) that the mind will itself kick in the craving when otherwise there might not be any physical trigger. Obviously like hanging in a bar drinking, or even just what has become routine ritual times/places through habit.
[FONT=Palatino Linotype]"Bust a nut!" - Dimebag
"Imagination is more important than knowledge." - Einstein
[/FONT]
# 18
earthman buck
earthman buck
08/29/2006 12:46 am
Do you guys ever get cravings for things you know nothing of? I only ask because that's how I am with smoking. I've never smoked before, but every now and then, I get these weird cravings that I somehow know only a lungful of cigarette smoke will cure. Is that weird?

Even weirder, sometimes the inside part of my elbow itches and I think "You know what'd get rid of that itch? A big ol' shot o' heroin." But then I find that scratching also works.
# 19
jeffhx
Disco Bandit
jeffhx
Disco Bandit
08/29/2006 1:12 am
Originally Posted by: earthman buckDo you guys ever get cravings for things you know nothing of? I only ask because that's how I am with smoking. I've never smoked before, but every now and then, I get these weird cravings that I somehow know only a lungful of cigarette smoke will cure. Is that weird?

Even weirder, sometimes the inside part of my elbow itches and I think "You know what'd get rid of that itch? A big ol' shot o' heroin." But then I find that scratching also works.

i guess thats curiousity...that lead me to try eventually..trying is fine...unlike popular myth, u dont get instantly hooked once u try ONE cigarette or maybe two...in fact ud hate it...the taste and smell sucks big time..i guess its those things like coffee or beer...when i tried them at first they just tasted bad...but now they taste the best to me...well not coffee for me as of yet...but every once in a while it does help me stay awake during the day when i feel bummed...
[FONT=Impact]grooviest tunes ever [/FONT]
# 20

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.