Best Way To Learn

lilifield
lilifield
07/15/2006 2:50 am
What is your opinion of the best way to learn to play? I heard that playing by ear is by far best over learning music notes. Or do you think that one would need a live instructor? I just bought a DVD (don't laugh) called Learning The Guitar For Dummies (I said don't laugh :p ) because I can't afford a private teacher and the school for the arts is way out of my town. We don't have music stores around here or night school. How did you learn to play?
# 1
magicninja
Guitar Tricks Moderator
magicninja
Guitar Tricks Moderator
07/15/2006 2:58 am
http://www.guitartricks.com/guide.php
Magicninja
Guitar Tricks Moderator

"If it feels right, play it. If it feels wrong, play it faster” - Magicninja
www.GuitarTricks.com - Home of Online Guitar Lessons
# 2
elklandercc
Full Access
elklandercc
Full Access
07/15/2006 3:18 am
I don't mean to advertise or anything, but the High Bandwidth subscription really can teach you a lot.
"During this line, the kid acted like he was pushing buttons on a calculator in the air. The kid played ******* air-calculator!"

Myspace
# 3
Kevin Taylor
Guitar Tricks Instructor
Kevin Taylor
Guitar Tricks Instructor
07/15/2006 4:05 am
How you learn is basically up to you and depends on a bunch of things.
ie, what do you want to do on guitar in the future? do you want to learn to read music too?, do you want a formal education or just want to learn to play? do you want to play guitar professionally or just play songs you like?

I'm completely self taught. (apart from the odd lesson here or there when I just couldn't figure something out)
The good thing about teaching yourself is you really learn to play by ear... you develop your ability to figure out what other players are doing just by listening to them. You really learn 'music' and what it should sound like rather than learning all the mechanical side of things by concentrating on theory.
The bad thing about teaching yourself is it will probably take you longer.
For instance, it took me 5 years just to get up the nerve to play more than a D chord. Years later when I was playing Van Halen stuff people would ask me what chord or scale I was using and I didn't have a clue. (like, I litererally had to count up the frets to figure out what note I was on)

Anyways, in my case, because I wanted to do studio work and teach, I needed to learn all the theory stuff so I did it all later.

If I had to do it over again, I'd probably do it the same way. I can't stand being taught to do things because receiving information from people verbally is just way too slow.

Back then the major stumbling block was finding information. You either had to buy the books or find out how to do something from a friend or watching somebody on TV.
Now you've got the internet... so unless you're wanting a formal education in theory, reading music etc... and somebody looking over your shoulders for the next 5 years, I'd stick with self taught.
As long as you're self motivated and can read decently well, you can go at your own speed. (no waiting for weekly lessons)

And yeah... I agree with the other guys about signing up for full access here.
I know it sounds like blatant advertising but with over 40 instructors here, all the questions you have about playing are available in the lessons sections.
# 4

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.