Acoustic Guitar Strings

lilifield
lilifield
07/12/2006 10:16 pm
I just bought my first guitar couple days ago and someone said that the factory strings should be replaced with good ones. I tried to buy some expensive strings at eBay but backed out at the last minute because there were so many "sizes" and dynamics involved that I didn't know which ones to buy? I have an Ibanez acoustic. I don't think that I need the top of the line because I am brand new to all this but I would like a recommendation for maybe the next best to the top? Many thanks in advance.
# 1
iiholly
hmm
iiholly
hmm
07/12/2006 11:14 pm
Elixir is a good brand.

# 2
Mark Pav
Mark Pav
07/13/2006 1:42 am
Martin strings are good. I recommend phosphor bronze ones. You'll probably just want light gauge strings, too.
# 3
gogogo
gogogo
07/13/2006 1:43 am
I play ernie ball power slinkys. Strings are really about personal preference, as well as what style your going to be playing. After a couple of yrs of playin on 11 gauges anything less feels like dental floss hahaha. Most strings are pretty cheap so this allows you to experiment w/ different types w/o breaking the bank. This is about the only piece of equipment you'll be able to do this w/...so take advantage!!!Oh also since your just starting out lighter gauge strings will help your fingertips out. Take it from me treating open cuts on your fingers doesn't feel good! Once you build up some strength and "tuff skin" or "chops" as i like to call it you can bump to a higher gauge or stay where u are remember it's totally up to you ;)
# 4
lilifield
lilifield
07/13/2006 3:11 am
THANK YOU! This is all really good to know.
# 5
Fenderalltheway
Fenderalltheway
07/13/2006 3:27 am
I used J D'addario, or however you spell it for my acoustic and my strat.Great strings!
"When you want to rock hard children, lean of F#."
# 6
aschleman
aschleman
07/13/2006 7:15 pm
Since you have an acoustic... the sizes are a little less important... most string brands only offer them in size packages light, med/light, medium, and heavy... I suggest light or med/light for any beginner... makes it easier on the hand muscles...

Usually guitars come with med/light strings already on them... So if you're comfortable with the ones on the guitar already... just go with med/light. If you want ligheter strings... get lighter ones...

Now for brands... When it comes to acoustic strings many people will argue that Elixer strings are the best you can buy... I happen to agree with that. But Elixers don't sound good on some guitars... Take a $2000 Taylor and a $2000 Martin... put them side by side and put Elixers on them... The Taylor will blow the Martin away in tone... Now do the same with Martin strings... The Taylor now will sound dead... where the Martin will sound a bit more alive. I highly recommend Elixers... go for the Nanowebs in med/light... that's my suggestion. They last longer than any other string out there, they're comfy to play... and they sound better than 95% of other strings. But you may want to try a few different just to find one you're happy with... After all... tone is what you're after.
# 7
R. Shackleferd
Gulf Coaster
R. Shackleferd
Gulf Coaster
07/14/2006 2:42 am
Originally Posted by: FenderallthewayI used J D'addario, or however you spell it for my acoustic and my strat.Great strings!

Agreed, except I use Ernie Ball Skinny Top Heavy Bottom on my SG.
[FONT=Palatino Linotype]"Bust a nut!" - Dimebag
"Imagination is more important than knowledge." - Einstein
[/FONT]
# 8
lilifield
lilifield
07/15/2006 2:42 am
Wow you guys were right about the sore fingers. I have 3 blisters from the little practice I did - ouch! :eek: I can only imagine how sore my hand will be tomorrow from all that streeeeeeeetching and trying to reach impossible chords. Some of those chords are insane aren't they??? I mean you have have E.T. long fingers to be able to reach them. I wish they'd invent a machine that could play the board and all you had to do was strum. LOL!!
# 9
andrew3in1
andrew3in1
07/16/2006 4:20 pm
:D

If you want cheap go to webstrings.com. Free shipping if you order 12 sets and they only cost 2.74 less if you order more. I usually order at least twenty five sets at a time. They hold up good enough for me and I play every week in a humid enviroment. The strings come in x-light(10s), xl-light(11s)(my personal favorites), lights(12s), bluegrass(12.5s), and medium(13s). If I order on Monday I have them by Thursday. Nice mello tone

Very good strings and not bulk packed.

Stringthis.com also has some very good strings. They claim they are bulk packed Martins. They come in extra-light(10s), light(12s), and medium(13s). If you order more than 12 sets they come out to $2.50 a set, but shipping and handling will be around $5.00 if you live in the continental US. Very bright tone.

Very Good Also But Bulk Packed.

I have used both of these strings and find them great for what I do, which is lead Acoustic Worship every week at my church.

Hope this helps. I am always looking for cheap strings!

Andrew
The Ovation Guy.
Andrew
[FONT=Arial]Sarcasm Just One Of
Our Free Services.[/FONT]
# 10
lilifield
lilifield
07/17/2006 9:19 am
Thank you Andrew, I'll check those out. When I read that you lead worship at your church my stomach got all up in butterflies. I think that ultimately that is where all this is leading to. Hard to explain... dreams and visions... you know ;)
# 11
andrew3in1
andrew3in1
07/17/2006 12:02 pm
:rolleyes:

All I can tell you is go for it! Practice a lot, Pray a lot.

What part of the world are you from? I live in San Antonio, Texas, USofA.

I have found that either WebStrings or Stingthis strings last just as long in what I do as any other premium brand. I usually change my strings one a month.

Andrew
The Ovation Guy.
Andrew
# 12
Buddha3j
Buddha3j
07/17/2006 2:31 pm
I started playing seven years ago and just recently started in again my husband has been playing for 16 years and he told me to get Martin strings full name- Martin Marquis 80/20 Bronze Extra Light they work for me and with much less pain for your fingers. :rolleyes:
# 13
lilifield
lilifield
07/17/2006 6:48 pm
Thanks so much everyone. I am a total beginner and have only had my Ibanez for 6 days and haven't changed the strings yet. I'm trying to research as much as I can before I make any decisions. I know there's more important things in life than strings, but I would like to know.... Do you find that by switching the weight of the string for comfort that you sacrifice any sound quality? I'm tempted to buy the XL strings because my fingers are a mess and I'm a woosey about pain, but would rather go through the pain for better sound. Or is there not much difference?
# 14
lilifield
lilifield
07/17/2006 6:51 pm
Andrew, I'm in Northern Michigan - cold country. Only, it's like an oven today with lot's of humity to boot. :eek: Thanks for the sites... those prices are great!!
# 15
R. Shackleferd
Gulf Coaster
R. Shackleferd
Gulf Coaster
07/18/2006 2:16 am
Originally Posted by: lilifield...but I would like to know.... Do you find that by switching the weight of the string for comfort that you sacrifice any sound quality? I'm tempted to buy the XL strings because my fingers are a mess and I'm a woosey about pain, but would rather go through the pain for better sound. Or is there not much difference?

Yep, personally I can't stand the sound of really light strings on an acoustic especially. Not only that, but they don't seem to last as long and they break easier/more often. In my own experimentation of gauges, I think the worst aspect of super lights is an unwound G string (3rd string). To get chords to sound right on an acoustic I think that string has to be wound. I'd say sacrifice a lil pain for now...it'll pay off down the road anyway.
[FONT=Palatino Linotype]"Bust a nut!" - Dimebag
"Imagination is more important than knowledge." - Einstein
[/FONT]
# 16
andrew3in1
andrew3in1
07/18/2006 2:26 am
:)

The Xlights I get have a wound third string. MOST but not all brand new guitars I have seen here in my part of the world all come with Medium strings(both my Ovation and Art&Lutherie came with mediums). I would have to agree with what the last poster said. Xlights will not give you the tone Lights or Mediums will, but if your acoustic is hooked up to an amp it makes no difference in my experience. But if you are in a recording studio you want the heaviest string your guitar can handle for the absolute best tone.

I have been playing at one church or the other every week for over four years, and have even gone to Mexico and played, and in all that time I have only broken 2 1st strings and that was because the manufacturer had not wound the little button on the bottom of the string right and Stringthis.com not only replaced those strings but sent me 10 complete sets for my troubles.

If you are just learning I would go with a light(12s) strings first and see how it goes. If they still seem to heavy for you go to Xlights or if they seem to light go to Mediums.

Andrew
The Ovation Guy.
Andrew
# 17
Frank Gonzalez
Frank Gonzalez
07/19/2006 4:58 pm
I had exactly the same question, and I am in the same situation.
Let me know what you chose and if it works fine.

Frank
# 18
lilifield
lilifield
07/19/2006 7:45 pm
Frank, someone suggested Elixur Nano Wed Lights and I went and bought a set and put them on. WOW... I could not believe the difference. My Ibanez now sounds like a freekin piano!

They are new, and really tight right now so I'm still in the process of stretching and pulling them, and refining the tuning. I've had them on less than 10 hours so I figure by tonight they'll be perfectly in tune. When you stretch them be careful of the 3rd string... those are the ones I'm told break easier. It's the same as getting a new pair of jeans... they are tight and stiff at first but after you wear them in they get soft and comfy.

My fingers are still sore, but I am feeling the beginning of numbness and callusses (yay). I still can't play more than 10 minutes at a time and that bites because I'm never ready to quit when my fingers say "enough". ;)

The Elixurs are really expensive though. I also bought a set of Martins which were like 1/4 of the price. I haven't tried them yet but I've heard through tons and tons of various sources that they are really good strings. After these Elixurs are ready for the trash I think I'll stick with Martins even if they end up not sounding like a piano. :p
# 19
raven8100
raven8100
07/20/2006 4:31 am
I think Martin and Ernie Ball strings are the best.Tim
# 20

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.