Hypnotism.

elklandercc
Full Access
elklandercc
Full Access
06/19/2006 1:34 pm
Before my project graduation thing on Sat. night, my school put on a hypnotism show for us. They brought in some weird guy "Skylar" and he did his thing. Sure it was funny in all but I think it was fake. I know for sure that two people were faking since Skylar made it clear that you have to concentrate on his voice and that if you think about anything else it won't work. So I saw one girl with her eyes closed that kept moving her hair out of her face and another guy who was fidgeting with his hands and feet since he was bent over in the chair "asleep." As for the rest of the kids who chose to go on stage, I think that they just wanted it to work so they "pretended" but actually though it was working. So what are you views on the subject?
"During this line, the kid acted like he was pushing buttons on a calculator in the air. The kid played ******* air-calculator!"

Myspace
# 1
magicninja
Guitar Tricks Moderator
magicninja
Guitar Tricks Moderator
06/19/2006 1:37 pm
I suppose whether or not they "fall asleep" or whatever if they do what he asks, it works. He's still getting them to cluck like chickens or whatever tricks he's making them do.
Magicninja
Guitar Tricks Moderator

"If it feels right, play it. If it feels wrong, play it fasterā€ - Magicninja
www.GuitarTricks.com - Home of Online Guitar Lessons
# 2
pure
pure
06/19/2006 1:39 pm
I believe hypnotism to be a dark art.

But that's not real hypnotism. The people obviosly weren't hypnotised, they were tricked into doing what the hypnotist wanted them to do, whether or not they fell asleep.
Originally Posted by: schmangeugly fat chicks
# 3
ericthecableguy
ericthecableguy
06/19/2006 8:26 pm
I know nothing about it, but it I believe it's totally possible if it's just triggering things in your brain you've never tried before.
For life is quite absurd and death's the final word, You must always face the curtain with a bow
Forget about your sin - give the audience a grin
Enjoy it - it's your last chance anyhow.

METOOB
# 4
Fret spider
Fret spider
06/19/2006 10:28 pm
from wat i have hear it is possible. but its not something u can just do to other people.

the subject would have to spend ages becoming suseptible to the hypnotitst, and it would not be that quick. nor do i think it could be done on a stage where the participants are probably nervous, if it is to work the subject has to be completely relaxed, and also possible of meditation.

to conclude, the people on the stage weren't hypnotised but it is possible. its just that you have to prepare ypurself to be hypnotised and this would take like a month or sumthin.
# 5
hunter60
Humble student
hunter60
Humble student
06/19/2006 11:31 pm
Hypnotism is a very real thing. Ask anyone who has gone through it for theraputic reasons. Stage hypnotism teeters on the verge of nothing more than suggestion and a certain willingness of the participant. If you are going to be hypnotised by someone else, you have to want it to happen. You cannot hypnotise the unwilling. Remember too though, skeptics really do WANT to believe.

I would be willing to bet that almost everyone who plays guitar (or any instrument for that matter) has done self-hypnotism. We do it every single day. You know what I mean, you get going on that groove, that lick or that run and you're not thinking, you're not even really playing. Your fingers are doing something independently of your mind. Hypnotism or mediation is precisely what you're doing. The subconscious is working independently.

That's what hypnotism is. It's not magic. It's not a parlour trick. It's a valid form of therapy and developing self-discipline. There are tons of books on the subject. Look into self-hypnotism. Placing yourself in a minor trance is very, very simple. Have the suggestions you want to make to yourself at the ready and practice it every day.

You just may surprise yourself.
[FONT=Tahoma]"All I can do is be me ... whoever that is". Bob Dylan [/FONT]
# 6
rockonn91
rockonn91
06/20/2006 12:38 am
In one weird gym class I took for a semester this year, we learned a bit of yoga. and this one pose was called savasanah. (or the dead body pose) basically, through specific breathing and concentration, you put yourself into a form of self-hypnosis.

its very soothing and you can truely think so much easier. you almost go into a dream-like state, but you still are very aware of whats going on around you.

theres nothing evil about it at all. in fact, I bet you've done a form of savasanah without even knowing it. if you're really relaxed or something, with your eyes closed... you know how you see those cool morphing colors? ...thats what happens in savasanah.
JK :cool:

-Agile Guitars Enthusiast
# 7
lyricchic
lyricchic
06/20/2006 6:31 am
I've been to a hypnotist before, all I got out of it was a bill and a "some people just can't be hypnotized." It's an interesting subject, and perhaps there is merit to it, but I think a lot of it's fake, the same as psychics and whatnot.
Don't worry. I shred.
# 8
jeffhx
Disco Bandit
jeffhx
Disco Bandit
06/20/2006 8:11 am
i cant wait to learn hypnotism for therapy...but i reckon they wud only teach us in year 2 of psychology...next year..at least thats what i heard...
[FONT=Impact]grooviest tunes ever [/FONT]
# 9
elklandercc
Full Access
elklandercc
Full Access
06/20/2006 4:28 pm
Originally Posted by: Fret spiderfrom wat i have hear it is possible. but its not something u can just do to other people.

the subject would have to spend ages becoming suseptible to the hypnotitst, and it would not be that quick. nor do i think it could be done on a stage where the participants are probably nervous, if it is to work the subject has to be completely relaxed, and also possible of meditation.

to conclude, the people on the stage weren't hypnotised but it is possible. its just that you have to prepare ypurself to be hypnotised and this would take like a month or sumthin.

Thats what I was thinking. I think its possible in a quiet, small office when your laying in one of those leather couches and just relaxed compared to a HS auditorium in hard metal chairs with the whole senior class in front of you. The guy said to keep your eyes on him but the kids can't help but to look into the crouwd or look over at friends and smile.

I also agree with Hunter because I have that happen a lot. Not just with the guitar but with driving or if I've been walking back to my garage (Its about 3 acres away from my house so I usually "day dream" and before I know it, I'm there and I don't remember walking that far at all.)
"During this line, the kid acted like he was pushing buttons on a calculator in the air. The kid played ******* air-calculator!"

Myspace
# 10

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.