Only you can prevent school shootings

earthman buck
earthman buck
05/21/2006 1:39 am
The other day at school, my class was discussing possible fundraising for a trip we want to take to England and France next spring. Michael (that's acapella to those of you not in the know) suggested a benefit concert, where we rent a hall, get some local bands from around here to play for free, and charge $5 admission. Of course, our band, the Greasy Knots, would be on the bill as well. It seemed like a good idea to everyone at first, but then we discovered that even if 100 people came (which is pretty iffy in a small town like this), we’d only make a profit of about $70.

So I said we all might as well do something worth the time and effort. Seventy bucks is nothing in a situation where you need over 20 grand. I started to carry on with my schoolwork. After a while, I noticed that everyone else was still talking in a big circle. I heard Michael remark “So then, we’ll play it anyway, and if Brendon doesn’t like it, we’ll get someone else.”

Needless to say, I was horribly angered by this. It seems unfair to me to be threatened with replacement simply because you don’t think a fundraiser will be a worthwhile moneymaking venture. I don’t think the concert was a bad idea overall; it actually sounds like a lot of fun to me. However, we’re trying to raise money at the current moment. We can always do this concert thing some other time, when it isn’t about the money.

Today I thought about the whole situation all day at work. In the morning, my teeth were clenched and I was ready to bust open some skulls with a section of pipe. By the time work was over, I no longer cared. I figured at the very least, we would make little money. But at least it would be fun, right?

So I get home from work, and decide to check the Greasy Knots’ homepage. ‘Maybe there’ll be something about the concert on there,’ I thought. Instead I am greeted with the headline “MAJOR UPDATE!!! The Greasy Knots acquire a new member...see blog page for more information.”

I go to the blog page and read the blog. In it, I find out that this girl from school has been offered the role of lead singer by the other 2/3 of the band. And I feel the rage flaring up once again.

I get along pretty well with this girl, and she is a very good singer. In fact, when I heard her sing in music class a month or two ago, I suggested to Luke and Michael that she should be our singer. They both made it pretty clear they didn’t want that. Fair enough. That’s why I ran the idea by them first. So here’s what I’m worried about:

1) Luke and Mike and myself have known each other forever. We’re very close. I’m worried that if this girl is around, we’ll be more inhibited, and less ourselves at practices. Practices are all about having fun for me, so this is not very desirable.

2) This girl likes a lot of music I don’t, like Avril Lavigne and Simple Plan. I don’t want to have to play this music. At all.

And most of all….

3) They DIDN’T EVEN FREAKIN’ ASK ME WHAT I THOUGHT ABOUT ALL THIS!!!!!!!!!!

Am I being a dick, or are bands supposed to discuss things before making drastic changes? Seems to me that things are getting mighty fascist might quick.

Also, I had to type this whole thing out 3 times on account of computer failures, so I am unbelievably pissed.
# 1
ericthecableguy
ericthecableguy
05/21/2006 1:52 am
I think you're right...this is awkward though.
It's discouraging to read this after all the "things are looking up for the greasy knots" hype.
It always sucks to be out of the loop, and you definately should have known what was going down.
I wonder what will go down when michael reads this...
For life is quite absurd and death's the final word, You must always face the curtain with a bow
Forget about your sin - give the audience a grin
Enjoy it - it's your last chance anyhow.

METOOB
# 2
earthman buck
earthman buck
05/21/2006 1:56 am
Originally Posted by: ericthecableguyIt's discouraging to read this after all the "things are looking up for the greasy knots" hype.

Keep in mind who started that thread.
# 3
ericthecableguy
ericthecableguy
05/21/2006 1:59 am
Originally Posted by: earthman buckKeep in mind who started that thread.

It's a triviality.
For life is quite absurd and death's the final word, You must always face the curtain with a bow
Forget about your sin - give the audience a grin
Enjoy it - it's your last chance anyhow.

METOOB
# 4
PRSplaya
Full Access
PRSplaya
Full Access
05/21/2006 2:13 am
To have a succesfull band, no one should be kept out of the loop. ALL decisions reguarding anything about the band should involve all members always. If not, then it will only cause problems. Band decisions are made by the whole band, not just some of the band, and that's the only way it will work... end of discussioin!
[FONT=Palatino Linotype]Tonja Renee's personal instructor[/FONT]

>HERE'S WHERE I AM NOW<
# 5
jiujitsu_jesus
jiujitsu_jesus
05/21/2006 2:30 am
I sympathise and agree with you, Brendon, but I guess that Michael and the others will have had their reasons for doing what they did. This must sound frustratingly obvious, but you really need to talk it out with them. Approach them; be firm, but not confrontational, and ask what's going on.
"It's all folk music... I ain't never heard no horse sing!"
- Attributed variously to Leadbelly and Louis Armstrong

If at first you don't succeed, you are obviously not Chuck Norris.

l337iZmz r@wk o.K!!!??>
# 6
jeffhx
Disco Bandit
jeffhx
Disco Bandit
05/21/2006 4:44 am
never thought something lke that wud happen to the both of you..thought you guys were like brothers...but yeah even brothers have difference in opinions..it is true that any plans or changes should be talked out with the other group members...cant seem to see an explanation for michael's actions..im making it sound real bad arent i... lol..meh... just go have a chat with him...
[FONT=Impact]grooviest tunes ever [/FONT]
# 7
6strngs_2hmbkrs
Proud Celica Enthusiast
6strngs_2hmbkrs
Proud Celica Enthusiast
05/21/2006 5:05 am
hey, look on the bright side, if they end up kicking you out of the band, you can do some more collaborations with me :p jk

but seriously, that sucks. all desicions like this should be made with the WHOLE band! but don't get pissed with them, go talk to them firmly, but non-confrontation-ally (how's that for a word?) as juijitsu said. maybe you can figure out what's going on, or maybe they planned on telling you, but hadn't done so yet.. or something...

also, you want to raise 20 grand? hired assassinations. you could probably make like 20K-50K for something small (like a man wanting his wife to die mysteriously so he can pursue another woman) or millions for something big (like the president) it's either that, or bounty hunting... I hear osama has a hefty price on his head.
If you like cars see mine here
my spyspace
# 8
suicidalmoose
Full Access
suicidalmoose
Full Access
05/21/2006 1:10 pm
and anyways, so wat if this chik is a good singer, good singers don't make a good band, collaboration and team work is what makes a band. and if she's gonna take that away your band's gonna go to ****. btw don't you have the Myspace password for your band?
# 9
chucklivesoninmyheart
Non-Existent
chucklivesoninmyheart
Non-Existent
05/21/2006 1:21 pm
You sure this isn't more of a friendship thing than a band thing?

If they want to pull stupid crap like that then they can all take a hike.No need to expend your mental,physical or emotional energy over something like this.
Try once,fail twice...
# 10
Andrew Sa
Andrew Sa
05/21/2006 1:57 pm
firstly, Akira you silly billy, Avril Lavigne is great...I enjoy her music, it may not have the integrity that other music does, but it sounds good and appeals to its target market...so suck is one thing she does not do.

as for all this band politics stuff...they shouldnt have made such a decision without you...I see this as a movement to get you out of the band...because if my band was decide on summin as big as this without me, I would certainly quit unless they provided a damn fine explanation.
[FONT=Century Gothic]Hope is when we feel the pain that makes us try again[/FONT]
# 11
guitarfreak141
Obsessed Freak
guitarfreak141
Obsessed Freak
05/21/2006 2:12 pm
ya I think you should have been informed and asked about this, but if you have a really good thing going its probably not worth it to get too angry and break up the band, just talk to Michael and the other people in the band and hopefully you'll work it out, but you definetely should have been informed before they did this.
If there's one thing I've learned, it's that life is one crushing defeat after another until you just wish Flanders was dead.

Rock stars ... is there anything they don't know?
# 12
earthman buck
earthman buck
05/21/2006 10:54 pm
Well then, as long as everybody understands where I'm coming from, I'm good. Like I said, it's not so much what they did that gets my goat, it's how they did it. Rage.......subsiding.
# 13
jiujitsu_jesus
jiujitsu_jesus
05/22/2006 9:15 am
Have they spoken to you about it yet?
"It's all folk music... I ain't never heard no horse sing!"
- Attributed variously to Leadbelly and Louis Armstrong

If at first you don't succeed, you are obviously not Chuck Norris.

l337iZmz r@wk o.K!!!??>
# 14
earthman buck
earthman buck
05/23/2006 2:33 pm
No, but it's no biggie. I honestly don't care anymore.
# 15
Andrew Sa
Andrew Sa
05/24/2006 8:12 am
so you still jamming with the greasy knots then? you guys still mates...I should hope so...thats not the way bands should work, but it certainly shouldnt kill the friendship between you and Acapella
[FONT=Century Gothic]Hope is when we feel the pain that makes us try again[/FONT]
# 16
jeffhx
Disco Bandit
jeffhx
Disco Bandit
05/24/2006 9:15 am
where is acapella anyway...havent seen him arnd here...
[FONT=Impact]grooviest tunes ever [/FONT]
# 17
acapella
acapella
05/24/2006 4:07 pm
Here I am. Just popped up to post a song on the songwriting forum,and look what I should find. Speaking of not talking to people about things:

[U]Things Brendon did not do:[/U]
Talk to us

See, the thing is this. Me and Luke want to go somewhere with this band. And although Luke doesn't say anything to Brendon, we both get pretty annoyed when he refuses to make any kind of effort or sacrifice to try to get anywhere with it. He pretty much said that he doesn't care if we get anywhere, he just wants to play in the shed for fun and if we somehow, by some mysterious force of nature beyond our comprehension, get somewhere, that's all well and good. Now I have nothing against playing just for fun, but that is NOT why I'm in this. I'm in this to have a successful band, at the very least play some shows, release something eventually. And to do that you have to TRY to do it, and CARE if it happens. I see a big conflict of interest here. Maybe this is just a misunderstanding, but it seems to me like all Brendon wants is to play music and have us do backing tracks for him while he has his good time in the shed. Maybe play at some parties for our friends, at the most. There is no communication here! That's the problem with this. We need to actually TALK THINGS THROUGH and see where we all stand with this! I don't want to ruin our friendship, and I do enjoy playing together. I don't want to break us up over nothing.

And as for the singer thing, I actually mostly did that to see what you would do when you saw it on the site. :D I think if we can keep things the way they are and all get what we want it would be great, because we've come a long way. Why waste it? We can have fun AND success, can we not?

I was pretty pissed when I started writing this, not so much by the end. But I'm leaving it all the way it came out.
You go outside and practice screaming. We'll play music while you're gone.
# 18
earthman buck
earthman buck
05/24/2006 4:13 pm
Originally Posted by: acapellaNow I have nothing against playing just for fun, but that is NOT why I'm in this. I'm in this to have a successful band[/QUOTE]
And now, a semi-cheap shot:

Maybe you should actually play your bass once in a while then. You know, learn the notes and all. Things will go a lot more smoothly in the world of successful bands if you know what bass notes and fills sound good with what guitar chords and fills.

No offense. Well, sort of.

[QUOTE=acapella]And as for the singer thing, I actually mostly did that to see what you would do when you saw it on the site.

Oh, and touché.
# 19
acapella
acapella
05/24/2006 4:17 pm
Originally Posted by: earthman buckAnd now, a semi-cheap shot:

Maybe you should actually play your bass once in a while then. You know, learn the notes and all. Things will go a lot more smoothly in the world of successful bands if you know what bass notes and fills sound good with what guitar chords and fills.

No offense. Well, sort of.

Oh, and touché.

So that's it then. All you have to say is "well, you suck". That's mature. I should know better than to try to actually have a serious conversation with you, where you might actually have to listen to me or say something other than childish nonsense.
You go outside and practice screaming. We'll play music while you're gone.
# 20

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.