Effect loops

niccar113
niccar113
05/20/2006 4:51 am
I came by a very good sounding and reasonably priced ($225) solid state two channeled Crate 2x12 at a shop today and considered something. I play in a band and use numerous effects pedals, and on some of our songs I am switching rather frequently from a straight distortion setting to a clean, delayed, and flanged setting, and using a single pedalboard between my guitar and my amp is a serious pain (lots of footwork). I was wondering if, because I noticed on the Crate that there was an effects loop, if I could run my flange and delay through the effects loop, wah and distortion in between my guitar and the input jack on the amp, and by switching channels switch between the two different combinations of pedals. Is that possible, or do I have it all wrong? Thanks for any knowledgeable responses!
Pleasure.
# 1
niccar113
niccar113
05/20/2006 5:18 pm
Damn... nine views and no responses... sorry for wasting space.
Pleasure.
# 2
Lordathestrings
Gear Guru
Lordathestrings
Gear Guru
05/20/2006 6:20 pm
I'm not familiar with the amp you're referring to, but I can give you some general guidelines to work with.

If you want to switch between two different sets of effect pedals, consider plugging your guitar into a 'Y' cable splitter that will feed both effect chains. Then use an A-B switch box to select which effect chain will be fed to the amp input. That, or look at some multi-effect boxes with programmable presets.

Most effect loops are active on all amp channels, because the effects are tapped into the connection between the preamp and the power amp.

There are a few exceptions. If you can get an old Peavey Rock Master tube preamp, you will find that each of the three channels has its own effects loop, plus a couple of loops for combined channels. Very versatile, though a bit confusing at first.
Lordathestrings
Guitar Tricks Moderator

www.GuitarTricks.com - Home of Online Guitar Lessons
# 3
rockonn91
rockonn91
05/20/2006 8:37 pm
i mean, experiment! if you like how it sounds, who's to say you cant do it?

me personally, I dont like how my amp's effect loop effects my sound, so I dont use it. I just run effects strait into the Input.
JK :cool:

-Agile Guitars Enthusiast
# 4
HDJ
Explanation: Southerner
HDJ
Explanation: Southerner
05/22/2006 4:32 pm
Effects ran through the effects loop will still be on with each channel...The effects loop is on all the time...You'll still be tap dancing with the pedals.
Check out my band:
Havoc Din
# 5

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.