Action~

damaged
damaged
05/16/2006 3:47 pm
Hmm lately i have been raising the height of my action more and more, yet i like the feel of higher action and it doesnt affect my playing at all, does any one else feel this way?

*do you prefer high action over low*
"Make money your god and it will plague you like the devil."
# 1
aschleman
aschleman
05/16/2006 4:04 pm
Most blues guitar players and vintage style players refer higher action...as do I. This is mostly because higher action gets better tone. When you lower your strings to the fretboard it usually hinders the vibrational fruequencies of the strings and their translation to the body... Also, when bending a string with higher action you have a lot less chance of fretting out... fretting out is when you bend a string and the string makes contact with a fret a few frets higher... causing it to deaden the note completely. Slide players use high action so they don't get fret buzz when they lay the slide on the strings... I mostly do it because I use high gauge strings... and it helps the tone resonate.... Higher action calls for a different setup than low action though... so if you're thinking of switching... take things in consideration... Like intonation, truss rod adjustments, bridge adjustments, pickup adjustments... tremolo adjustments....... and any other unforeseen problem...
# 2
jimmy_kwtx
jimmy_kwtx
05/19/2006 9:36 pm
question--

I prefer a lower action. The best set up I have ever played was a 777Jem when they first came out--couldn't afford it .

But MAN!!! The thing seemed to play itself.

The action was low and it had HUGE frets!

I usuallly have to readjust my action everytime I restring my Git-fiddle.

What could be a cause of having to do this every time?
[FONT=Comic Sans MS]I reject your reality and substitue my own[/FONT]

[FONT=Comic Sans MS]BYAAAAAAAAAAAH![/FONT]

[FONT=Comic Sans MS]But it goes to eleven....[/FONT]
# 3
aschleman
aschleman
05/23/2006 6:49 pm
I apologize for the late reply on this one...

Well, it could be a loose truss rod nut or loose truss rod anchor... When you relieve the tension of the strings on the truss rod the rod bends itself back straight... Then when you put new strings back on... The rod may slip, maladjusting your action... I suggest trying to string one string at a time next time... So, instead of taking off all the strings and putting all new strings back on... Take off one string and put the string on that goes in its place... leaving the other on the guitar... do one string at a time..

Jumbo fret wire and low action are synonomous with metal/shred guitar... It makes the playability of the guitar feel like butter... But when it comes to anything but metal/shred... it loses it's character. I would take my Vintage American Strat over any JEM, ESP M-II, Jackson Soloist... etc...etc... Just because I'm comfortable with it and I love the way it plays... it compliments my style perfectly... But to each his own...
# 4
jimmy_kwtx
jimmy_kwtx
05/23/2006 8:25 pm
No Prob on the time line. We have other responsibilities aside from an internet forum(jobs, schools, families to raise). If we didn't we'd all be world famouse Guitar Players! :D

I'll try the string changing tip. I am sure this is just a band-aid, if it works. I guess what I should do after the test is take it to the shop and have them check the t-rod.

Thanks for the info and I'll let you know what I find out.
[FONT=Comic Sans MS]I reject your reality and substitue my own[/FONT]

[FONT=Comic Sans MS]BYAAAAAAAAAAAH![/FONT]

[FONT=Comic Sans MS]But it goes to eleven....[/FONT]
# 5

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.