Pickup replacement

Martin Spaans
Martin Spaans
07/17/2001 11:58 am
A friend has a mexican strat. The neck pickup is replaced by him. He says he put the wires the same, also tried it vice versa.
The following occurs: with the neck and middle pickup selected the sound is very thin, also the volume is getting down compared to the other possibilities.
In all other switches the sound is OK. The neck pickup selected on it's own gives a good sound.
Is there someone who knows a little more about the electric in the electric guitar?
# 1
iamthe_eggman
Grizzled Spellchecker
iamthe_eggman
Grizzled Spellchecker
07/17/2001 3:57 pm
I'm not sure if this is the reason, but I remember reading either on this site or at http://www.guitarnuts.com (great site) that your pickups need to have the correct magnetic polarization in relation to each other. That is, it must be a North or South, depending on what the rest of your pickups are.

From what I remember, the pickup polarizations need to alternate, e.g. Neck = North, Middle = South, Bridge = North (or vice versa).

If you do a search on this site (maybe try "north") or lookup the guitarnuts site, you might find out some more info.

Again, I'm not sure if what I just said is the reason for your problems, but it doesn't hurt to do some research on it.
... and that's all I have to say about that.

[U]ALL[/U] generalizations are [U]WRONG[/U]

[/sarcasm]
# 2
Raskolnikov
Guitar Tricks Moderator
Raskolnikov
Guitar Tricks Moderator
07/17/2001 11:23 pm
the Pickups don't have to have a polarization like that, it helps because if you have a n/s combonation, they will hum cancel, so that's why most 3 single coil (strat like) guitars come with a N/S/N or S/N/S pickup arrangement.
Raskolnikov
Guitar Tricks Moderator

Careful what you wish for friend
I've been to Hell and now I'm back again

www.GuitarTricks.com - Home of Online Guitar Lessons
# 3

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.